Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Its Crow hunting hunting Eve!!!!

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just remembered on the way to go charge my batteries I had a $15 rebate from Menards. The only thing hey had in stock above 2000 was the exact same 2300 energizers. It cost $7 out of pocket and if they fail I can run back and exchange them. They also had their 2000 mah off brand that had horrible reviews and raovac 1350 mah.

Well, I charged all my old AA batteries dating all the way back to 2010. Most registered 3.8 to 3.9 OA on my HF volt tester. A couple were a little lower. I charged them again an just about all went to 4.0 to 4.1. I wonder if they needed a couple charges to bring them back to full capacity? I'll have to run them all and time how long my caller takes to burn them down now vs the brand new batteries. The energizers were all 3.6 OA out of the package. After the first charge 3.9 OA...and after the 2nd charge 4.0 OA.

Boolit Bub
    I had a buddy that laughed at me when I told him about calling crows. Took him a few days later and he was hooked.

I have had good luck with the enloop rechargeable, am testing out the amazon house brand right now too. I also run some night vision and maglites on larger tenergy c and d rechargeable, but have recharged them so few times that i cant really say how long they last through many cycles. I think having a high quality smart charger is beneficial to getting all you can out of your batteries, I use a la crosse.

I used my la crosse 1000 I bought years ago and never really figured out how to use it till the other day. The older batteries I tested with my HF volt tester. I charged those on an old 1 hour ravac charger. I'm guessing that with the older batteries that have been sitting around for a couple of years need to be recharged a couple of times in a row since the HF tester showed on average 3.8OA the first time around a d 24 hours later all tested 4.0 to 4.1 after a second charge. My brand new batteries energizer 23000 that were 3.6 oa out of the box only tested 3.9 the first time around and then 4.0 the second time. Out of all the batteries I had one that sat on the charger still charging when the other three shut off. The battery that was still charging was making loud popping sounds so I removed it from my charger. It took a full charge but I'll be tossing it. It was one of the 2010 energizers.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-30-2021 at 10:16 AM.

I had some of those energizers from way back when to power a digital camera, garbage by today's standards. I use an EBL charger, which seems to be a very high rate of charge, to slap a rapid charge on the batteries occasionally.

Mexico’s National Bird is the crested caracara
    Do you get enough meat out of a crow to make it worth the 2.5$ shell? Around here I could pop them with my pellet rifle. Didn't really have many here till a couple years ago.
    Whatever!

A mouth blown predator call added to the crow call sometimes helps to get the murder of Cuervos mad and looking for the source. We used regular hi brass 20, 16, and 12 gauge loads with #4 through #7-1/2 shot with no problems. The .17HMR has proven to be great on them when they are sitting still. I grew up patrolling the pecan farm with a 788 22-250 using Hornady SX bullets- very effective!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Hopefully tomorrow I will finally get back out. I plan on using one of motion rabbit decoys with the crow decoy set up this time.

Boolit Man
    I believe the treaty that establishes a hunting season for crows has a disclaimer that allows them to be "hunted" if they are threatening livestock, poultry etc or causing damage to crops. In those cases , depending on state regulation, the season is still open. Here we have pecan trees not 25 feet from the house. One year I was too busy to fend off the crows , blue jays and squirrels. That year the crop was about 2 qts in shells. Normally, this is a BIG tree ~100ft, the crop is from 1-2 bushels.
    They can tell the difference between a firearm and a shovel or broom. And its been my experience that with their bird vision they can look back thru a scope and tell from the change in your retinal blood flow when you are going to shoot! That or a sixth or seventh sense. You can look back thru a scope from the objective end.

I suck...shot at 3 crows and missed every time. I need to change out my kicks .670 choke tube and switch from #4’s to 7 1/2’s. I had a good 30 plus crow dive bombing my motion decoy through the tree line. They were flying in circles at Mock one....lol. I think I just got excited. I’ll give it another week again. I did catch raccoon #45 for the fiscal year. Caught it in a homemade snare out a garage cable I fabricated. The coons have been staying away from my dog proof traps lately. One was dumb enough to walk through my homemade snare I set up on a pathway though. For all of $3 for it. I cashed in the last three coon receipts ($5,$4, & $3) even up for another dog proof trap.

Boolit Grand Master

Missing crows is real easy when they are in overdrive doing the fast flip flop evasion moves. I find 20-25 yards is where I can nail then the best with #6 or #5 shot at about 1000 fps from cylinder bore chokes. Much closer and you might as well use a rifle or an 18" scatter gun.
    Best days are when it is low clouds or foggy. Then they fly low and cannot see real well until they are at that 25 yard zone.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    If I still grew row crops or berries I'd be shooting them and hanging them from trees. they don't mess with my nut trees so I just let em be. they are very smart birds.
    been there done that. 1 1/4 oz of #4 or #5 shot over a load of herco with 12s4 wad in federal shell out of a full choke works pretty well. but with this new pro reach powder you can gain 200fps, have yet to get any pro reach
    Farmbif, you are spot on with the #4's and 5's. I met a friend of mine at his hunting club one day for a crow hunt and brought along my Western Rivers cassette call and several boxes of 7 1/2's and #8 dove and quail shells. I figured what the heck, they are just a regular bird and I need to shoot this ammo up anyway. Well I got to shoot the ammo up all right and all I was getting for my troubles was a few feathers and downing an occasional close crow. One of the club members had a case of old Remington Express #2 lead shells that he donated to the club for just such occasions and finally my hunting buddy told me to grab a box of them and leave the "sparrow" loads in the truck. Presto- the crows started hitting the deck. I have since started using Estate high brass #4's and 5's and the results have been very positive. In my 11-87 with a modified choke it is a sure 40 yd killer and a very probable 50 yd killer if I do my part. As a side note, the modified choke patterns are more dense than the full! My decoys have a cup hook screwed into their back and I taped a 12' telescoping crappie pole to the ground stake and hang them in trees, pole and all. Sorry for the long winded post but you all have given me the bug to go crow hunting again!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I take them with a .177 pellet rifle. Head shots. Got one at 50 yards a few years back off a power pole with a scoped .22 cal pump air pistol. I fitted it with a Walther Lothar barrel. This is off my deck in town. Pigeons, starlings, grackels and squirrels too. Been a while since I called some up on a slow grouse hunting day.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234