Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure washers

Boolit Master

Pressure washers

Considering buying one of these for cleaning driveway, carports, car and truck wheels (brake dust), extra muddy car, truck, or tractor, grill, etc
    I can go with either electric or gas as I have outlets and extension cords as well as a Honda 2000 watt generator if needed. Like to keep the cost no more than $300.
    What would you recommend and why?
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Not a “pro” but for 90% of us an electric will fit the bill. Having had one for for years and mine have been intermittent in use, mostly for springtime cleanup from the winter around the house/pool.

If used frequently the gas might be the better route. Like most things like this anymore the rotten gas we get these days create fuel system issues when the equipment sits unused.

I have a gas unit right now that was a dump rescue. Darn near new with a completely plugged up carb.

Boolit Master

I have a Lowes TaskForce gas model. It has never failed me. 5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. 2200 max PSI. Mounted on wheels so its easy to move around. Uses a maximum of 2.2 GPM water use.
    hope that helps
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    The gas powered sprayers put out a lot more pressure, and clean better. But your $300 budget precludes, any new washers of quality, at that price range. Maybe used. Anyhow, if your requirements are not that great, an electric washer should get you by. An electric washer is never cranky to start., unlike some gas ones are.

I have a DeVilbiss Excell 2600 psi 3 GPM, with a Honda engine. I paid around $600 for it, at Home Depot. It's a mid price range washer. The GPM is more important for cleaning power, than just pressure.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you get a powerful one, be careful using it on your car. Windshield wipers, plastic trim, etc.

If you plan to clean your driveway with a electric one----

Bring a sandwich and something to drink.
    You're going to be there awhile.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

My wife bought me a Husqvarna PW3100 from Costco last year for about $300 bux works great
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Bought a slightly used Simpson from a friend, it uses a Honda engine. Made the mistake of starting the engine without the water supply running and promptly trashed a seal which resulted in an oil leak from the pump. I was able to get the proper repair parts and do a rebuild. And, because it only took 10 minutes to remove the pump, I bought a spare pump ...... just in case I (or someone else) have another brain fart in the future.
    I really prefer the gas powered washers. They make lots of power and yes, you do need to be aware of how much damage they can do to soft brick, wood, electrical connections, etc. My preferred nozzle is the "turbo" version for most applications.
    Last edited by Ural Driver; 01-25-2021 at 10:19 AM.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    Looks like I will have to increase my buying budget to get a good one. Keep the comments coming
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Bought my electric one from Harbor Freight for 80 bucks 3 years ago. Use it at work, wash cars/motorcycle, and power washing cement. Works great and would buy again.

Boolit Master
    I've had a devilbiss excellent 2600 for about 10 yrs, good little unit, but I had to replace the pump last year, less than $150. 5 minute job to replace the old pump. If you plan to use it on driveways, I recommend getting a surface washer attachment. It covers a much larger area and will save hours of work.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, our car wash in town has been closed for 3 years and with town water rates it isn't coming back. 30 miles one way to a car wash is getting old. This might be the motivation to get one.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Put a water filter on your new cleaner,no matter what the price range........there is considerable sand and grit in mains water ,and your new cleaner will retain performance much longer with a filter.......the filter can be swapped to the cleaner when the old cleaner is worn out.

Boolit Master

The Wife bought an electric one years ago, learned the hard way how far back to spray things like wood and radiator fins. It did a great job on most things withing reason. I took a look at one that was portable and took batteries like a hand drill. It used a pick up tube so you could operate without water or shore power nearby. I store my atc quads in a storage unit near the dunes and thought being able to clean them off and blow dry before putting them away would be a plus.

It turns out there is plenty of fresh water close by in ponds away from the beach, a filtered pick up would help with clean up. The first time I really hosed down the quads, I sprayed the important parts with RainX windshield washer fluid, and gunk doesn't stick to the frame and other parts. I saw some organic cleaner that attacks rust and leaves a protective layer I might have to try.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not all that wild about mixing electricity and water, especially with a (probably) wet me anywhere near.

I bought a used Craftsman gas powered washer that I used a few times, then it has sat in the barn for a couple of years.

Unless you store it inside in the winter, make sure you frost proof it.

Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I'm not all that wild about mixing electricity and water, especially with a (probably) wet me anywhere near.

I bought a used Craftsman gas powered washer that I used a few times, then it has sat in the barn for a couple of years.

Unless you store it inside in the winter, make sure you frost proof it.

Robert
    Frost proof how do you do this
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned
    There's just not much to a pressure washer. A high pressure pump and a gas engine or electric motor to turn it.

I purchased a mid-grade gasoline one many years ago and used it until the pump failed. Purchased a replacement pump from Northern and fitted that to the same engine. It is one of those tools that sits around a lot and get used a little. If you go with a gasoline engine, use non-ethanol fuel and run the gas tank dry before you put it away. Long term storage seems to be the biggest killer.

A couple of things to consider: There are two basic ratings that work together - Maximum pressure (PSI) and volume (GPM). There's practical limit to both of those ratings. You don't need (or want) super high pressures for most household tasks. So if your choice is between 3000 PSI and 5000 PSI, you probably don't need the 5000 PSI model. And high output volumes require high input volumes. High volumes may exceed what your house water supply can deliver.
    My pressure washer is right at the edge of what my house water system can deliver, particularly if I have a long run from the faucet and some elevation.

Another issue is the parts used. Some pressure washers utilize proprietary parts (fittings, nozzles, hoses, etc. ) and some use very universal parts. Try to avoid the proprietary stuff. You WILL need to replace parts eventually and it's a PITA when you need to convert half the pressure washer to other type of fittings.

As for electric v. gasoline; that decision depends heavily on the end user. The electric units require a little less maintenance and starting involves turning a switch. The gasoline units offer a little more portability but you're still constrained by the water source.
    With exclusive use of non-ethanol fuel and proper storage techniques; you can overcome most of the problems associated with long term storage.

In the end, you're buying some type of power source (gasoline or electric) and some type of pump (PSI & GPM), the rest is just window dressing.

Boolit Master
    To winterize a pressure washer, you run RV antifreeze through the pump and hose. Just hand crank it until the antifreeze comes out the end of the hose. I wasn't successful doing that with my new pump, so I just removed the pump and stored it in the basement.

Boolit Master
    I can't tell you how many pressure washers I resurrected out of the scrap yard but the only pressure washer pump worth rebuilding are the cat brand ones unless you got a great source for cheap parts for general or AR brand.
    the main thing with the cheap ones is to be sure to pump all the water out of the pump when your done using it. the aluminum heads on the pump corrode and the small round pillars in the head hold the check valves in place and once the aluminum is gone the pump is worthless.

Boolit Buddy
    Have had a small (1650 PSI Husky) electric for about 15 years.
    Works fine for deck and house cleaning but slow.
    Useless for cleaning a driveway - it just doesn't move enough water.

For those who don't like mixing water with electricity - All of the electric pressure washers I've seen have a ground fault interupter built into the plug. Also, all more modern homes are required to have GFI's on all outside receptacles.
    I've sprayed down my electric pressure washer quite often while using it and have never triggered the GFIs.

Blowing out the pump with the air compressor is my method of winterizing but I still move it into the basement (+1 for electric).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast