RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Sourdough Hoecakes - Best Ever!

Vendor Sponsor

Sourdough Hoecakes - Best Ever!

Fellas, if you think ammo and reloading supplies are hard to come by, try to buy yeast! Kitchen supplies and DIY bread making supplies are all the rage now that people are stuck at home, so baking bread is a really rewarding activity you can get into and the sky is the limit how creative or how traditional you want to get.

Sourdough involves keeping a "starter" alive, in a wide mouth jar, you just have to add water and flour to it a couple times a week to keep it going, and you discard some of the unfed starter before you feed it. This is what you use for pancakes, these hoecakes, bread, and it really imparts a flavor that nothing else does. If you like a good buttermilk biscuit, you will no doubt love sourdough pancakes and hoecakes and of course sourdough bread.

You can get the sourdough starter from King Arthur flour online, ebay, you can also make your own just do a search on the internet to see how easy it is. There are some sellers in San Francisco and Alaska that will sell you starter that is over 150 years old, it's been kept going all that time and it's good stuff too!

I have a really good recipe for sprouted spelt buttermilk sourdough pecan blueberry pancakes, which I have posted here, and I wanted to combine the Hoecakes recipe with the pancake recipe to add sourdough to the Hoecakes.

Holy Moley they turned out AWESOME! Really really tasty, especially the next day! Here is the combined recipe, I will definitely be making these again!

Overnight Sponge:
    • 3/4C cornmeal mix (coarse + medium)
    • 3/4C bread flour
    • ½ C unfed sourdough starter (discard)
    • 2/3 cups buttermilk
    • 1 tbsp sugar

Batter Mix:
    • 1 large egg
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 2 green onions chopped

Directions for sponge:

In a covered mixing bowl stir together starter, cornmeal, bread flour, sugar, green onions and buttermilk. Adjust mixture with buttermilk to the consistency where it will pour, a little stiffer than pancake batter. Cover and let stand 12 hours or overnight.

Directions for batter:

In the morning beat together egg, salt, baking powder, stir into sponge to combine.
    Drop batter into 3” cakes on a hot buttered griddle, shake or spoon out to 4” cakes. Brown on one side then turn and fry until golden brown on both sides.
    Serve warm with butter, you can also serve with maple syrup or honey.

Attachment 276008
    Last edited by DougGuy; 01-24-2021 at 02:49 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    This recipe sounds really good and I am going to try it. I get my bread flour and yeast from a Amish bulk food store in Arcola Illinois called Beachys. You can get a 50 lb sack of flour for 28.00 and a block of yeast for 5.00. Thanks again for the recipe.........................Curdog

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, this is new to me but looks fantastic.

Boolit Master
    that sounds like a fantastic recipe, thanks for sharing. now I'm getting determined to figure out how to get some of that sourdough starter going.
    ive tried making waffles before with cornmeal and regular flour trying to copy eggo's

Boolit Buddy
    Sourdough has been a big part of our year. My little person loves feeding it and checking on it when we have something in the works. Those hoe cakes look amazing. Thanks for the idea.

Hoecakes sounds like it could get me in trouble.

Boolit Master
    You can add my wife and I to the rage list but we came at it from a different direction. While on my COVID break last summer I built something I always wanted to try. A wood fire pizza oven. Needless to say it is all about the dough. This led to baking bread of course! While my wife and I love it, it does not love us. thanks for sharing as sour dough is at the top of our list. DWD

Boolit Master

Yeah, I started making bread of all kinds in 2008 when I retired. Both my wife and I loved it, but we gained enough wt that I had to curb the bread making thing.

Boolit Master

My wife has a sourdough starter over 20 years old.
    It is not very sour but the taste is to die for.
    I love anything she makes with it.

Every Sunday, my SDS is from 1870 a gift from a rancher who liked my cooking, it was his families made when they first started the ranch.
    I keep mine on the counter in a bean pot, feed it once a week or after each use.

Boolit Master

Yeast in 1-2 pound packs avaible every market here in NH. Last year it was hard to find I hear but always have 10 pounds or so in one of the freezers we have.