MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: J.C. Higgins

J.C. Higgins

I don't see a forum for asking questions about shotguns so I figure someone here can point the way.

I have an old(er) J.C. Higgins 12 gauge pump that my father bought new (I would guess in the 60's) and I'm wondering if any of you know who made them?

It's a beast with a huge barrel and a Cutts Compensator on the front. I'm going to have to put a new recoil pad on it, the old red one has turned to stone.

Cheers!
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    No wonder you are a Master! That's awesome, thanks!
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Yes My favorite Uncle had one just like it and it was made by High Standard. His came with a Poly Choke instead of the Cutts.

He never could run the pump fast enough to get a second shot which he always needed, So he bought a new Browning A5 Light Twelve in 1965 with Modified and Full choke barrels, and the hard case, and I have it now and it is perfect !!!!!

All the High Standard Guns were well made and great shooters.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I have always respected the High Standard shotguns. Many, many years ago I had a Flite King Deluxe in .410 with a 26" Skeet barrel on it. Like many young people I had less than enough love for it and let it slip away. Not one of my wiser moves...

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    I have always respected the High Standard shotguns. Many, many years ago I had a Flite King Deluxe in .410 with a 26" Skeet barrel on it. Like many young people I had less than enough love for it and let it slip away. Not one of my wiser moves...
    Yeah,,, Hind Sight is always 20/20. I have lots of Hind Sight, some of it about some Hinds I really liked but let slip away.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I happened to shoot my old JC Higgens Model 20 2 weeks ago. I don't know its age. Sold by Sears with a Sears roll mark. No serial number.

This was inherited from a relative, and runs great.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

A little on heavy side but in my opinion much better guns than Mossberg. One of the better guns to cut down into slug gun. The solid frame/ barrel makes them accurate. JC Higgins guns are usually a bargain, costing much less than same gun name branded.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    As a teenager, had a JC Higgins 410 pump that was my pheasant hunting gun. I can still remember downing 2 cock birds that flushed when hunting next to the river at home
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Anyone that can't work a pump faster than a recoil auto needs to work on their coordination. Started out on a family Model 12 20 gauge. Then father bought me a JC Higgins 12 ga with cutts. Graduated from college and got a real job. Bought a Remington M1100 12ga. Probably have too many shotguns in too many gauges. Enjoy them all,pumps,autos,over and unders,side by sides, single shots all good. Have no bolt action shot guns but did buy #1 son a bolt action 410 when he said he wanted to go turkey hunting with a 410. The pump action is faster than the A5 because it is part of the recovery process. You also need to be a competive shooter or a 15 year old kid to really get good with a pump.