RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: quiet 45-70 load

Boolit Buddy

quiet 45-70 load

has anyone found an accurate gallery type load for the 45-70. Not round ball but big heavy bullets. I would like to push 500 grain+ bullets as quietly as possible and have decent accuracy out to 100 yards. I have an H&R BC with a 32 inch barrel. Does anyone use fillers for these types of loads?

Boolit Master

Look at castpics/Articles/Whisper Loads. I played with the .45/70 and Lyman's 457122 at low velocities. Lot of fun./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

I've found a solution that allows me to shoot GI hardball QUIETLY:

FN in MT

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings 44mag1 I have several types 45-70 from 22 inch out to 32 inch. I have played with 300- 400 gr. boolits. 6 grains of Unique in the short ones and up to 8 grains in the 32. You MUST have a full throat boolit. Soft lead is best . I use 40-1 . Actually the least amount of tin possible. Large pistol primer. No filler.. raise cartidge nose up before firing if possible. But so far I have never had any ignition problem with Unique. Clean base of boolit so there is NO lube there to contaminate. My wife says I am half deaf ? but these sound like a big pop to me ... like a big ballon.

Boolit Grand Master

Seems like I used 7.5g of unique to start out in my trap door. I wanted to start low since the gun is an original desined for BP. I don't know how acurate it was exactly but it wasn't real loud and I could drop the rifle down and see the bullet hit the target before it got there.
    Aim small, miss small!

Through the same gun, 13.3g of Trailboss under an Ohaus 440g pooched out relatively quitely at 1010 fps.

As an aside, this load has the lowest spread of any string i've ever chronied - 6 shots, low 1007 high 1013.

Get sumone to make you a solid brass 45-70 case with the mouth drilled to hold yer boolit, a small powder chamber behind that, and a 1/16 or thereabouts channel to the primer cup. 2 grains of bullseye, and a 300 grain boolit sounds like a 22 short. Could provide more powder chamber for other powders, but the noise level is about muzzle pressure being zilch, so consider that. DON"T fill a case up with lead (been there etc.) to make this kind of case. The lead will be pushed forward, and wedge the case in your chamber.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Mold
    New guy here..been reading here awhile..I load a lot of Nitro rounds and use Trail Boss alot.It's a case filler and burns clean enough. I have also loaded several small caliber,7.62x39 to subsonic levels,sounds like a .22 mag.Trail Boss has a peak volocity and then will drop off.I just finished a .450/400 at 1250fps and now working on a .458 Lott...
    Like I said New Guy here,but been shooting awhile....
    Ever wonder why?

Too old to grow up now...

Yes,Maam,that's a cigar in my pocket...

Boolit Buddy
    trail boss sounds like it would be fun to try. do you need to use a filler with it?

Don't use filler with Trail Boss. It's a bulk powder that has about double the consistency of bullseye. It will take up twice the space of most powders in the same weight charge.

I use Trail Boss for all my .38 revolver shooting now and I also found it to be the best load in my Finn Model 39.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

Boolit Mold
    trail boss is what i use also from 300 to 560 lyman's some are quiter than others. not exactly silent but u can shoot with out ear plugs easy

Boolit Buddy
    tried the trail boss today and was pleasantly suprised. 13 grains under a lyman 400 grain roundnose was very quiet and shot a ragged hole at 50 yards. the more I shoot this BC the more Im impressed with it.