Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: New rimfire round

Meanwhile, somebody find a mould for a .312 hollowbase wadcutter and cast up a bunch in a brittle, high-antimony alloy. Shoot 'em reversed and see what happens.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    If I ever get the workshop kicked into shape to use, I'll be making center-fire breech blocks for the Stevens rifles. I've got a couple of hundred rounds of .32 Long Colt brass, a suitable boolit mold, several powders that should work, and 100 SPP to play with. Stuff I ordered to play with reloading primers showed up day before yesterday. Wouldn't be hard to make some of the .32 brass that takes the nail gun RF cartridges, for that matter. Would be really, really nice if I could just buy some off the shelf, though. Either RF or CF. I'm easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    And it uses a .251 bullet. Despite some claims, every .25 Stevens barrel I have is ~.257 groove.
    I have wondered if the cartridge has enough taper to blow out to a straighter profile to shoot 257 bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    I have wondered if the cartridge has enough taper to blow out to a straighter profile to shoot 257 bullets.
    Couldn't speak to the 25RF, having never seen one, but the .32LC brass I bought from Starline doesn't have enough taper to notice. I've only got a case drawing for the .32CS, and it shows as cylindrical, not tapered, so I expect that is correct.

Boolit Master
    .25 ACP wouldn't have anything to headspace on in a .25 Stevens chamber. There is a guy on the forum here who's been making stuff based on the .25 ACP though. Chev. somethingorother.

Sleeving the Marksman barrel up to fit the 101 would be a whole lot easier, methinks!
    Chev. William or perhaps Williams, IIRC. Been following the stuff he writes about .32 RF & .32 Colt, myself. HTH!

Bill

Couldn't speak to the 25RF, having never seen one, but the .32LC brass I bought from Starline doesn't have enough taper to notice. I've only got a case drawing for the .32CS, and it shows as cylindrical, not tapered, so I expect that is correct.
    I think he meant the .25 ACP. And no, the sample .25 ACP round I have has negligible taper.
    Cognitive Dissident

Have we done the cost exercise comparing the cost of a rimfire round versus the cost of reloading a cast boolit? Why would I want a 32 rimfire when I can reload 32 center fire? If the cost is similar then the saving of effort would make it worthwhile plus to me there would be the cool factor.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    If I ever get the workshop kicked into shape to use, I'll be making center-fire breech blocks for the Stevens rifles. I've got a couple of hundred rounds of .32 Long Colt brass, a suitable boolit mold, several powders that should work, and 100 SPP to play with. Stuff I ordered to play with reloading primers showed up day before yesterday. Wouldn't be hard to make some of the .32 brass that takes the nail gun RF cartridges, for that matter. Would be really, really nice if I could just buy some off the shelf, though. Either RF or CF. I'm easy.
    if you ever make centerfire breech blocks, let me know. I've done a no6 conversion and shoot .32 short colt in it for fun. I think the stevens could hold up to .32SWL, which is way easier to get, if you want to ream the chamber...... for the colt I'd have to find a heeled mold.
    --
    Shoot more!

*tenmile* aka Jack Harrison sells the correct 299153 heeled .32 Colt bullets for a price that has dissuaded me from ever buying my own mould. He's listing on Gunbroker.

I wouldn't personally balk at .32SWL in a 1915 Favorite. The 1894 model however has a much weaker link, that IMHO would not stand up to the SWL for long. Larry Gibson ran some pressure tests on that cartridge. Commercial loadings are more energetic than the old black-powder Colt. In some cases a LOT more energetic.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    *tenmile* aka Jack Harrison sells the correct 299153 heeled .32 Colt bullets for a price that has dissuaded me from ever buying my own mould. He's listing on Gunbroker.

I wouldn't personally balk at .32SWL in a 1915 Favorite. The 1894 model however has a much weaker link, that IMHO would not stand up to the SWL for long. Larry Gibson ran some pressure tests on that cartridge. Commercial loadings are more energetic than the old black-powder Colt. In some cases a LOT more energetic.
    you are costing me money.

I have 89, 94, and 15 models of the favorite and I agree with you. Honestly, I'd be as happy if the older ones were chambered in .22short. the 1915 I feel is a much sturdier design.
    --
    Shoot more!

Boolit Master
    I would still like to have a rim fire .25 cal.firing a 75 grain lead bullet at 1450 FPS.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flint45 View Post
    I would still like to have a rim fire .25 cal.firing a 75 grain lead bullet at 1450 FPS.
    Look up CPA rifles on the internet.
    Their rifles will handle much more power than a "favorite"
    but look similar and are modern steels.

Chev. William

Banned
    If anyone has a spare .243 barrel they want to donate, I will make it into a .243 rim fire using 22 WMR cases and heeled bullets. With that faster twist it should stabilize 65 maybe 70 grain bullets at maybe 1600 fps? That would be a fun project.

Boolit Master
    What's wrong with chambering the .25
    central fire pistol round in a bolt action rifle ?Really be neat in wrangler pistol.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456