RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a boolits for my 45 LC Ruger

Boolit Buddy

Looking for a boolits for my 45 LC Ruger

So I'm looking for advice on a good boolits for hunting. It's mostly going to be for hog SD maybe hunting them also. I'm not sure what I'm looking for style or weight wise. So any advice would help and yes I'd like to be able to cast this round and would like even more if it came with a sold and HP.

Thanks for the advice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tayous1 View Post
    So I'm looking for advice on a good boolits for hunting. It's mostly going to be for hog SD maybe hunting them also. I'm not sure what I'm looking for style or weight wise. So any advice would help and yes I'd like to be able to cast this round and would like even more if it came with a sold and HP.

Thanks for the advice.
    200 grain round nose flat point. I do not hunt, but those bullets hit the steel targets HARD, and I mean HARD.

The Lee 300gr is never a bad choice. It drops 320gr with my alloy.
    I have an NOE RF that drops a 235gr HP or a 255gr solid that shoot and perform excellent for me.
    The Lee 200 RF is a nice bullet and it also works very good in 45acp if you have one of them

If a hollow point is required, mp-molds has 2 great hunting bullet molds. The mp- ruger only is a great bullet for a heavy hunting round. They are accurate at longer distances when driven hard.
    The other is the mp-454-270 saa. This bullet is a great one for tier 1 and tier 2 45 colt loads.
    If hollow points are not a big deal, the NOE 454-280 WFN is a great hunting bullet, and my personal hunting bullet. I shoot this out of a ruger blackhawk, and a marlin 1894. It is too long for my model 25.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

RCBS 45-250-FN

Beautiful boolit and a big meplat for tissue damage. I use this in my 45 Colt.

Use 8.5-9.0 gr Unigue and will duplicate the original black powder load. I have used this load on deer, and it can penetrate a buck from stem to stern, and cuts a nice deadly hole. This load will do 99% of what is needed from a 45 Colt.

If you want to up the speed in a Blackhawk, I always use 2400. Just my experience with these components.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master
    When I had a 45 colt I always liked the mp-454-270 saa
    just seemed rite to me
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Only have two bullet moulds for my 45 LC. The RCBS 250 SWC and MP's clone of the RCBS 270 SAA............ complete with pins to make solids and hollow points (penta & conical).

Winelover

260 grain Lee RNFP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	092-BF892-0-AE8-4-DB4-853-D-27325-E4-AADA0.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	275980
    Last edited by GasGuzzler; 01-24-2021 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Added Picture

Boolit Master

I do love a HP mold... But frankly it is NOT REQUIRED!!

Buy a good WFN style bullet like a Lyman 454424 or a RCBS 270 saa. Great molds. Load the bullets to about 1100 and enjoy what the 45 Colt does best. You can play with alloys if ya feel expansion is needed. But if ya have larger hogs I recomend against that COWW alloy is popular for good reason and quenching that will produce a bullet when launched at 1100 will penetrate a FEW BIG HOGS!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Before you head down this road you might want to check the throats of your cylinder. They tend to be tight on rugers. They were on mine. Also check your barrel for thread choke (tight spot) where the barrel threads into the frame. If the cylinder throats are tight, DougGuy can fix that. He's a regular on this site. If you have these conditions and don't address them you'll have leading issues. Been there/done that.
    Siamese4570

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I do love a HP mold... But frankly it is NOT REQUIRED!!

Buy a good WFN style bullet like a Lyman 454424 or a RCBS 270 saa. Great molds. Load the bullets to about 1100 and enjoy what the 45 Colt does best. You can play with alloys if ya feel expansion is needed. But if ya have larger hogs I recomend against that COWW alloy is popular for good reason and quenching that will produce a bullet when launched at 1100 will penetrate a FEW BIG HOGS!

CW
    Understand what you say but the HP was more for HD. Also just like to have the HP just in case it's needed for anything else.

Boolit Master

NOE 454-280 WFN and a stout dose of 2400. HP not needed.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    WFN 270-290 grains that’s all you need heck a nice reasonable dose of Unique to get you around 1000 FPS

Boolit Buddy

Cool

^^^This bullet^^^

I have had good success with a 280 WFN ahead of 13.0 grains of BlueDot. That gives 982 fps out of my 4-5/8” BH with good accuracy. Lower pressure than Unique gives for the same velocity, and not too loud. No expansion needed in hogs, this load took two Texas hogs no problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2E8EF4B8-FE5F-4087-A6F1-8BB09958C64D.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	276007
    Last edited by PositiveCaster; 01-24-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    I use a Lyman mold, 255 gr but comes out 265 with my alloy, the big old Keith/Thompson semi wadcutter. Hard to beat, Elmer Keith done a lot of great shooting with this type bullet in .44 and .45. He killed a lot of critters, good penetration, good performance.

Boolit Bub
    Lyman 452664. 250gr rnfp. Great for pigs and black bear. MP 452640 with large or penta hp pin for deer.

Boolit Master
    I think anything from 250 - 300 grains would be ideal, as long as it has a large meplat.

I love the looks of the Lee 310 with it's huge meplat and large mass, but I greatly dislike the tiny crimp groove. I guess for me I'd go for the 270 SAA design, either the RCBS or MP versions. Most of the 260-280 grain RNFP designs mentioned so far look really good too though.

Boolit Master

Depends a little on if you're set for .452 or need something fatter. I can take some of the credit for this one: https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...52-234-rf-bi2/

I launched the group buy discussion between Ranch Dog and NOE as a way of getting a tumble lube version of the LBT 45ACP bullet I had very good luck with. One of the participants suggested turning the front lube groove into a crimper for double duty in revolver applications and the rest is history. The solids will penetrate A LOT if you cast them out of harder alloys (you don't need 300 grains to take down a cavalry horse - they figured this out a LONG time ago) ; the deep HP pin would make an outstanding equivalent to .45 ACP duty ammo; and the shallow cup point will give you a controlled expansion, medium depth option.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    452424 and just about any suitable powder that your gun likes, and you can find should work well.

Robert

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have several .45 Colt molds but it always goes back to the old Lyman 454-424 SWC. I think ole Elmer was on to something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast