Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Mil surplus M14 Mags

Boolit Master

Mil surplus M14 Mags

A friend gave me 3 unused M14 mags in the box today. It was a 4 count but 1 is missing. Just thought these are really neat. There are no markings on magazines. Box is 10/62 datedClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20210116_234835.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	275528

Boolit Master
    I would now be inclined to invite that friend to a nice steak dinner including a couple call brand adult beverages of his choice, that would be really neat of you!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    I would now be inclined to invite that friend to a nice steak dinner including a couple call brand adult beverages of his choice, that would be really neat of you!
    Funny you should mention buying dinner. We had Mexican tonight. The server came with the check. I put my card on her tray. My buddy called her back and flicked my card in the floor with his.

We are really good friends. He has my Master caster and ballisticast sizer at his house. Neither of us are hurt in this exchange today.

Boolit Master
    I also am blessed with a couple in my life like that, nice score anyway!!! The down side to these relationships and now that we are even younger, they call when they can't find it thinking you have it or the other way around every now and then. Life can sure be entertaining sometimes.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Ive never seen a USGI M14 mag that wasent marked, though I only have about 50.
    I would take a better look at the backs.

Boolit Master
    At the National Matches in 1967, back when military teams and civilian state teams were shooting M14 National Match rifles, one could go to the quartermaster window and be given two new M14 mags in the plastic wrap, along with all the patches, bore brushes, bore cleaner, and other expendables you wanted.

Boolit Master
    When we sat in the jeep inside a transport through the 1973 war, my RTO/Assistant Driver was sitting on a footlocker we had bolted in to replace the back seat. Said footlocker was full of magazines (the CPT for whom I drove was a gun nut, encouraged me to become one, and I had seven weapons cards) for my M14E2 and the CPT and RTO's M16A1s. There was also an M79 packed in there and a 50 cal can of loaded 1911 mags. The 20mm box we had bolted between the front seats had been emptied of tabasco, ketchup etc and was packed with 40mm grenades, frags, CS and smoke grenades and our mission maps/code matrix book/SOI etc.
    I later had a period of being an "on-the-ammo-teat" competitive shooter in the Guard, using an NM M14 and an XM21, then an M24 system, a box of bullseye pistols, a take-home M9, AR upper, etc. I always made sure I had an abundance of serviceable magazines.
    Currently, in the depths of my bunker are several cans containing magazines for platforms I no longer have on hand but could potentially need to feed again - M14, M9, M3 GG (might build an AR45)...and several hundred Garand clips, sitting forlorn and slowly rusting...
    That's a pretty snazzy gift your friend gave you!
    Ed <><

Boolit Master

There are postings on the Internet about faked packaging, looking like USGI packaging for M14 magazines. There are also postings I have seen on the required weld patterns for USGI magazines. I have a lot of USGI M14 magazines, left over from shooting an M1A in competition for many years. All of them have markings, although some of them are very faint.

I have some of the Chinese M14S magazines, and none of them have any markings, but they work really well.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    I have some of the Chinese M14S magazines, and none of them have any markings, but they work really well.
    If it wasent for lack of markings and slightly different parkerizing,, some of the original Chinese mags would pass for USGI.
    IIRC, I have a dozen of them and they've proven to be USGI equivalent and work flawlessly.

The Govt owned M14 manufacturing machinery that was used by winchester to produce rifles and magazines, was later decommissioned and sold to Taiwan..
    When Taiwan scrapped and disposed of it, its thought to have made its way to the main land.. Hence, Chinese/Winchester mags,,,or so the story goes...

Boolit Master
    I did find "OM" on the back of the mag

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    I did find "OM" on the back of the mag
    That would be Olin Mathieson...
    But there were also some Chinese made counterfeit ones with that marking and a few others about 15yrs ago,, right down to reproduction marked packaging,,,or such has been reported at least.
    You might want to do some browsing at the M14 forums to find out the differences.

Boolit Master
    They are going in a drawer. Just thought it was cool to get some old (Maybe) mags