Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 cal components

Boolit Master

40 cal components

I no longer have this caliber and I don't see a lot of inquires for anything, fully loaded ammo included. What have I missed?
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master
    well, I still have it, cast for it, load for it, just don't have anything to say about it.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    Still really popular in action pistol. Mebbe it's just where you look.

Boolit Master

EDC here, so have plenty of SD and training ammo, molds and brass so not looking.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

What's your point?
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

It’s still popular at my house. It seems that better 9mm bullets/ammo have edged out .40 for carry and defensive use but that’s just what I read. Like Kevin said, it’s still very popular for action pistol competition. Up until 2 years ago a lot of Federal officers training at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in New Mexico shot where I shot and they all shot .40. I moved so I haven’t had any contact with them since. They shot taxpayer funded factory loads so there was a good supply of once fired brass for those of us that reloaded.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    40 Shield is EDC. Ruger SR-40 in Gunvault by bed. I have plenty of brass, molds, lead, primers. You’ve missed a great caliber.

Moderator Emeritus

I've got an M&P40c plus plenty of brass that I plan on using BT's dies on for 45 bullets - someday.

Seems to be the redheaded stepchild, used to be brass was unwanted/ thus cheaper, easier to get ammo also vs. 9mm/357/45

Boolit Master

I switched to mostly 9mm back in the obozo days because it stretched my dollars out. Still have my 40 cals but they don’t do anything game wise for me that the 9 can’t do and the 45 is used for pin-shooting. It just kinda died on the vine.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post

Seems to be the redheaded stepchild, used to be brass was unwanted/ thus cheaper, easier to get ammo also vs. 9mm/357/45
    I bought a boatload when it was cheap for that very reason. Now I have it. Have two toys to shoot it. 9mm was maybe at some point easier to find ammo for, that has certainly changed. But I haven't bought a factory round in, oh, like forever anyway, so really don't care.

Boolit Master

Never bought a factory round for it , have molds and lots of brass , love the caliber , last ammo I saw in bulk at a store was 40 then it was gone , it is a good caliber but most follow the latest greatest fad of the moment .

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post

Very true. while I shoot all the common semi-auto calibers, 40 is my fav...part of it being favored is that I got buckets and buckets of range brass, back when it was selling for less than recycle prices...some was less then 1˘ per pc.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    we are talking 40 smith and Wesson here? correct?
    love it, glad it was created, shot lots of 38, 357m 9mm in old days then the really good reliable semi auto handguns were all of a sudden everywhere.
    those bank robbers in Miami were not wearing any elaborate body armor or anything and out of that south Miami gun battle with the FBI the 40 was born.
    I was sold on it after watching an FBI training video where the different loads were tested on shooting through a car door and into heavily clothed human dummy. the 165 grain won the test. deadly penetration after going through a car door and a bunch of layers of clothing. then a marksmanship training agent demonstrated hitting bullseye at 100 yards with hand steadied handgun. yeah I was sold on it, cast 3 different bullets for it and its a heck of a lot of fun and you can do a whole lot of shooting with small amount of powder

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    I no longer have this caliber and I don't see a lot of inquires for anything, fully loaded ammo included. What have I missed?
    When the FBI moved to 9mm a few years back, the bottom fell out of the 40 market.

Boolit Master
    What's your point?
    I don't need one.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master
    I don't need one.
    But it does make a thread more interesting if there is one...

Why’d you sell your .40?

Boolit Master
    I did not sell, it was a given to a friend. It was a CZ-999 and was very accurate for me. I also have and used an MP mold for this caliber. I just do not see many inquires for components and this prompted my post.

Moderator Emeritus

SNIP...

I just do not see many inquires for components and this prompted my post.
    Today, USPS delivered two H&G 2 cavity molds to my front door ...one of them is a .401 180gr RF
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

M&P 40 and a Hi point in this and they both work fine. I think that the recent advances in 9mm bullet technology have made it somewhat of an orphan in between the 9mm and 10mm. Less capacity than the 9mm and less power than the 10mm if you can handle the recoil. I like the caliber myself but then again I'm a fan of the .41 Mag.
    Last edited by jonp; 01-24-2021 at 04:23 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast