Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Front sight height

Boolit Buddy

Front sight height

Would someone with a prewar S&W M&P in 38Spl measure the height from the underside of the bbl to the top of the blade and enlighten me? Thanks in advance...

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure if it's a pre-war model, but my 405,000 ser. number , 5 inch barrel M&P measures .925. Also have a newer 6 inch barrel model in the S 900,000 range, that measures exactly the same. Hope that helps

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you. am trying to correct low shooting M&P in 38S&W but do not want to modify front sight. The .38 Spl height is 24 thou less than my 38 S&W so that info helps.

Is your revolver one that was made for the British. 38 200 load? Heavy boolits tend to shoot high.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Affirmative (I think). No British proof marks, so it never left the states but it is a 'Victory' model with government inspection and proofs. Had a SWC swage die made up and am experimenting with different weights and loads to try and get POI and impact the same at 30 yards.

I bought two police trade in Model 10's a while back. Pretty much no external finish but lock up is tight and bores and chambers are spotless. They both shot high with 150 grain wadcutters and 160 grain rnfps. Tried the Lee 125 rnfp over 4.0 of promo and they shoot to sights. Much rejoicing.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

1946 M and P 5 inch .910

Boolit Buddy
    Mine is shooting low at 30 yards with 160grn lead round nose and 3 grns of Unique. Weather is keeping me from more testing but am slowly increasing weight having started at 148 grns. No chrono as yet as Oehler is a pain to set up. Might have to try out the LabRadar, but it often misses shots and I don't trust it like I do my old Oehler (circa 1980's).