Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lee Dies Have New Lock Rings

Boolit Grand Master

New Lee Dies Have New Lock Rings

Just got a set of 357 Mag Lee Carbide and noticed the new lock rings. When did they change the design?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks. I watch Gavin and he is one of my follows. Must have missed that one

Boolit Master
    I like the new rings very convenient on a turret or progressive press.

Lee seems to be the industry innovators. There doesn't seem to be anyone with a lineup like Lee.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the new rings, just wish I could get the wrench without having to get 3 more rings.

Steve

Boolit Master

Its from Lee, it MUST be HORRID!!!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Steven View Post
    I like the new rings, just wish I could get the wrench without having to get 3 more rings.

Steve
    I ordered the wrench separately from Midway.
    Chuck

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I use a lot of Lee stuff so I'm not knocking them at all - but personally, I don't like the new lockings - probably because fo the way I load. I use their 4 hole classic turret press - love it and have different turret plates set up for different cartridges (mostly Lee dies) so once the dies are set up on the plate, they stay set up. Here in AZ, I use a single stage press. I bought probably four different Lee die sets in the past few months - all have the new rings. The first thing I do is take 'em off and put on a lock ring so that once the die is set up in the single stage - it's no trick to switch dies out for different operations and when a die is switched out, it is already in adjustment with a lock ring.

new design of lock rings + sales of new wrenches to fit them - so Lee is thinking ahead

I wonder if others will redesign their's at some point - just how many times can you redesign the wheel though

Boolit Buddy
    Look's like they will work great with Chan-el-locks just great.
    Or better still Vice-Grips!

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I use a lot of Lee stuff so I'm not knocking them at all - but personally, I don't like the new lockings - probably because fo the way I load. I use their 4 hole classic turret press - love it and have different turret plates set up for different cartridges (mostly Lee dies) so once the dies are set up on the plate, they stay set up. Here in AZ, I use a single stage press. I bought probably four different Lee die sets in the past few months - all have the new rings. The first thing I do is take 'em off and put on a lock ring so that once the die is set up in the single stage - it's no trick to switch dies out for different operations and when a die is switched out, it is already in adjustment with a lock ring.

new design of lock rings + sales of new wrenches to fit them - so Lee is thinking ahead

I wonder if others will redesign their's at some point - just how many times can you redesign the wheel though

The new Lee lock rings I have are a locking type. They are split ring with a screw. Work just like any other brand of split lock ring. The ones I don't care for are RCBS that run the lock screw into the threads.

Boolit Grand Master

I must do it different from those here but I have found that I can hand tighten the rings with the O-ring and they don't move.

Boolit Master
    Ditto.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    The new Lee lock rings I have are a locking type. They are split ring with a screw. Work just like any other brand of split lock ring. The ones I don't care for are RCBS that run the lock screw into the threads.
    The trick here is to put a couple #8 shot BB’s between the set screw and the threads of the die. This way the threads aren’t deformed by the set screw, and you can safely replace the brass set screw with a steel one so it won’t strip out.

Lock rings with a lock screw? This is revolutionary!

Trust Lee to innovate.

When will the other makers follow suit?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Steven View Post

Steve
    Natches had the wrench available separately. Not sure if they still offer it by itself. I ordered 4 sets of rings and two wrenches. Set up some RCBS 44-40 dies on a classic turret this weekend using the new lock rings. The bees knees.

I need one of these wrenches.....

Oh wait, I have the plastic piece o' crap, I need a REAL wrench, made of metal.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Cowboy View Post
    Lock rings with a lock screw? This is revolutionary!

Trust Lee to innovate.

When will the other makers follow suit?
    The dies don’t come with the split lock ring, you can purchase them separately. They come with the same O-ring set up but are no longer a hex shape for a wrench, they are a spline design making hand tightening much easier.

Boolit Master
    does this mean all my old lee die sets are useless antiques that have to be replaced?

Banned

I don’t like the new ones or the old ones........... I replace them with lock rings from Fastenal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast