Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best press for quick change...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    The best quality press (which excludes those red boat anchors) to do quick changes? I never owned a Square Deal and can't comment on it, so will say the 550. I could change calibers (not including primer changes) in <10-seconds as I each caliber gets their own stand. The 750 has the same setup.
    So you can switch a 550 from 9mm to 45 auto in less than 10 seconds ? You must be the FLASH

I don’t mind buying extra powder parts or whatever is needed, just want to do quick changes to swap calibers.
    Of course an entire powder measure ready to go is the fastest every Dillon comes with two bars and extra can be ordered and left preset. It’s a lot cheaper and doesn’t take that long to swap them out.

Banned
    The OP asked: "What is the best press for quick change of calibers...."?

That's a very broad question. Best Press for quick caliber change? Best Progressive Press for quick caliber change? Quick caliber changeovers or best press that allows quick caliber changes?

If we are not talking about true progressive presses, some type of turret press will likely make the top of the list. If all you need to change out is a shell holder and a turret with pre-adjusted dies - that's probably going to be the fastest setup to change calibers.
    However, those types of presses aren't true progressive presses. They generally don't incorporate de-priming & priming, powder charging stations and other functions. They are sort of semi-progressive. Those types of presses offer a lot of functionality for a good price but they aren't true progressive presses.

When we step up to progressive presses we get into a lot of kit. Basically the faster you want to convert from one cartridge to another, the more gear you need to have pre-assembled. You can swap out the tool head on a Dillon 550 or 650 in seconds. If the new tool head is completely set up, including powder measure; that leaves the shell plate and maybe the priming system to change over. However that conversion speed comes with a monetary expense of: Tool heads, powder measures, powder funnels (powder through expanders), dies, shell plates and other gear. So you're trading convenience for money. It is a one time expense, so I believe the cost is worth it. My time is valuable.

Boolit Buddy
    I also have a Lee 4 hole press,& I also use it as a single stage press. For me it has nothing to do with speed it is just easier to have each cal. set up in a turret in their labled container, I use 1 # coffee cans for this.have several single stage presses for other operations,universal decapping die in one . Use my hand press with universal expanding die quite a bit when I find I didn’t get quite enough flare with m die & case is already filled with powder.

Banned
    And just tossing this out there: I will ALWAYS have a single stage press on the bench alongside a progressive press. There are plenty of times when I don't want to reconfigure the progressive press or alter the adjustments. The progressive press is used for high volume production of standard loads and those loads are rarely altered.
    A single stage press is much more flexible for when you want to load a few rounds or you are loading something that deviates from your standard recipe.
    If the progressive press is set up for say, 9mm Luger; I'm not going to reconfigure the progressive press to load 20 rounds of 357 magnum. I do that small batch on the single stage.

A single stage and a progressive press do not complete with each other, they compliment each other.

However, those types of presses aren't true progressive presses. They generally don't incorporate...
    It’s pretty simple really, a progressive press is one that allows (once full) a spent case to be added and a completed round to fall out with every stroke of the handle. So with a 4 station 550 for example, once the shell plate is full, one can load 100 rounds with 100 strokes. An 8 station 1050, again once full, 100 strokes for 100 rounds.

A turret is one that has all the dies preset but requires one stroke, independently and sequentially for each step. They require the same number of strokes as a single stage, 1x #of dies in the operation. If one used 3 dies that would be 300 strokes for 100 rounds. Add another die for that 4th hole, that’s another 100 strokes.

I'm not going to reconfigure the progressive press to load 20 rounds of 357 magnum. I do that small batch on the single stage.
    Absolutely, starts looking like Aesop's Fables, the tortoise and the hare. If all your doing is swapping a progressive isn’t what you want. Slower and more expensive to convert for many calibers.

You could spend an hour converting a 1050 to do what I did in under 30 seconds with that co-ax in #14. Once setup though 100 rounds can be loaded on a 1050 in under 5 minutes.
    Last edited by jmorris; 01-23-2021 at 10:32 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    And just tossing this out there: I will ALWAYS have a single stage press on the bench alongside a progressive press. There are plenty of times when I don't want to reconfigure the progressive press or alter the adjustments. The progressive press is used for high volume production of standard loads and those loads are rarely altered.
    A single stage press is much more flexible for when you want to load a few rounds or you are loading something that deviates from your standard recipe.
    If the progressive press is set up for say, 9mm Luger; I'm not going to reconfigure the progressive press to load 20 rounds of 357 magnum. I do that small batch on the single stage.

A single stage and a progressive press do not complete with each other, they compliment each other.
    Good post.
    I loaded everything on a heavy single stage for years and have one on a portable stand I can get out of the closet if needed. My Lee turret is mounted and ready to go and can act as my single stage for light to medium work , my progressive and the app are both out and set up and get a lot of use for mainly pistol ammo.
    I could get by without the progressive the app and the Orange Crusher but don't want to if I just had one for how I use them it would be the Lee 4 hole turret.
    If you have a single stage and are going to switch to another press KEEP IT you will find it handy to have more than 1 press.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm not a "high production" reloader but I'm another vote for the Lee Classic Cast Turret. I have a 4 hole press and it's quick and simple to switch out turret plates. Over time, I have accumulated turret plates and have them set up for all the calibers I load. I don't prime on the press - I prefer to do it with a hand primer - and if I am using Lee dies, I usually attach my powder measure to the powder thru/expander die to drop the loads - if I am doing batch loading where I don't have a powder thru die, I still use the press and change the steps I use to load. I like the quick and easy indexing to press and have been enjoying it now for probably at least 15 years or so. Never have had an issue with the press either.

Dillon. Pull out the tool head and slide in a different one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    Dillon. Pull out the tool head and slide in a different one.
    Well, it's a bit more complicated than that,... but not much.

You will probably need to change out the shell plate as well. And if changing primer sizes you will need to change the priming system as well. But it is still a easy process. If the replacement tool head is completely set up (powder measure, powder funnel, seating die adjusted for the bullet, etc.) the tool head swap is very fast.

As a long term 550 user, I can say that I find the 550 to be one of the best machines. And I've used others, including the 650 & 1050.

Boolit Master
    I agree with bedbugbilly. I use the Lee turret for mostly pistol calibers and am set up for .25acp (sold) through .45 Colt. Rarely load for more than 100 rounds.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    The OP asked what press is the best for quick caliber change. He did not ask which progressive or turret press but simply what press. I don't think you can get much faster than the co-ax

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    The OP asked what press is the best for quick caliber change. He did not ask which progressive or turret press but simply what press. I don't think you can get much faster than the co-ax
    The co-ax is certainly an excellent press , but the Lee you can place all 4 dies and the powder measure on it in about the same amount of time it takes to place 1 die in the co-ax and replace the shell holder probably as fast as you can adjust the one on the co-ax and you can prime on it if you want to save another separate step .
    Not saying the Lee is a better press than a co-ax they fill different niches with some overlap.
    Personal choice.

My Gawd: I'm surprised no one recommended the Buchanan Precision Machine Hand Press with the Hornady Lock N Load option.

It is as fast or faster than any single stage option and it fits in a nice small case so it doesn't take up alot of room.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Randy I wish you wouldn't post pics of your press I have no need for it for what I do now......but every time I see it I want one such a nice piece of equipment !
    If I still went to an outdoor range a lot or traveled for my job I would have one.

Boolit Master

RCBS turret press change over is very quick. Have extra turrets already setup. One bolt to remove turret and replace in about 1 minute then replace the shell holder. Mine stays setup for small primers so no adjustments there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    So you can switch a 550 from 9mm to 45 auto in less than 10 seconds ? You must be the FLASH
    1. Remove the 2-pins.
    2. Slide-out the die plate and set it on its stand.
    3. Remove the new die plate (w/ dies and powder measure setup on it) from its stand and slide it into the press.
    4. Replace the pins. Done.

If I have to change the shell-plate and/or primer system, it takes a few minutes.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

Not a peep from the OP to better define his question yet.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

The lyman T2 turret press is very easy to swap turrets on, just the one big screw, if that’s what you’re curious about. Only have to change the shell holder on the ram and you’re ready to go. Less rigamarole than the Dillon lmo.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 01-23-2021 at 10:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    How do you prime with the Buchanan press or change primer parts from small to large.

I have added the adapter to my co-ax to allow the use of std shell holders for priming so no adjustment there just slip out and in with a shell holder just like the dies. The shell holder for sizing and seating fits almost all cases without changing anything. Takes about 5 seconds to change a die and a shellholder. Takes another 10/15 seconds to change from small to large primers
    Last edited by rbuck351; 01-23-2021 at 10:48 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast