Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the best press for quick change...

Boolit Master
    I changed from a single stage to the Lee Turret many years ago. Have both 3 and 4 die turret presses, usuall load as single stage but have all dies set up in a turret. I have a Lee Loadmaster,it has five stations, and a couple Lee 1000's for progressive loading. Also have Dillon 550 but do not like messing with primer tubes.

Depends on how much production you expect from the press. Faster changeover on the Lee and pull the handle 4 times for one round OR a bit slower changeover on a Dillon 550 and get one round for every handle pull. Pay time now or later.

I started on turret presses, sold them all and got three Dillons. There's not enough noney to make me go back.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
    Depends on how much production you expect from the press. Faster changeover on the Lee and pull the handle 4 times for one round OR a bit slower changeover on a Dillon 550 and get one round for every handle pull. Pay time now or later.

I started on turret presses, sold them all and got three Dillons. There's not enough noney to make me go back.
    That you have 3 might be what the op is trying to avoid.
    Dillons are great and are easy to switch for the quantity they produce and if the op wants a progressive might be a great choice , but he did not give us that information.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    That you have 3 might be what the op is trying to avoid.
    Dillons are great and are easy to switch for the quantity they produce and if the op wants a progressive might be a great choice , but he did not give us that information.
    And no one saying how much each caliber conversion costs, each dillon caliber conversion kit, costs upwards of $50-$60, one for the Lee is $15-20, both much cheaper if you find used ones, but you will be hard pressed to find dillons much cheaper than Lee ones.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Randy I wish you wouldn't post pics of your press I have no need for it for what I do now......but every time I see it I want one such a nice piece of equipment !
    If I still went to an outdoor range a lot or traveled for my job I would have one.
    I have several guys who just sit in front of the TV at night and work the handles up and down because they like the feel of the tool.

That's called "Tactile Gratification." and you all have experienced it if you like girls.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    How do you prime with the Buchanan press or change primer parts from small to large.

I have added the adapter to my co-ax to allow the use of std shell holders for priming so no adjustment there just slip out and in with a shell holder just like the dies. The shell holder for sizing and seating fits almost all cases without changing anything. Takes about 5 seconds to change a die and a shell holder. Takes another 10/15 seconds to change from small to large primers
    I just use a Lee Ram Prime die. watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpYQMdnxHY&t=9s

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

"Tactile Gratification."
    Randy

Boolit Master
    Well I have been watching this thread for a few days and I’m surprised no one has mentioned the lee loadmaster so I will .
    A few years ago I ordered one figuring worst case I’d be out a couple hundreds bucks and some thrashed components .
    They were cheap enough I could pick up a few extra to set up for the most popular handgun loading i do , but after playing with it a bit and figuring out how to work it I ended up with multiple setup tool heads and multiple shell plates . I found with the easy swap out I had no need for multiple press’s + easy powder disk swap .
    Now before I get attacked let me just say the press has a lot going on so unless you can pay attention to what you’re doing don’t get a progressive loader .
    I have a Dillon 550 on the bench right beside the loadmaster and it’s a wonderful press well made , and very easy to load with . I find the 550 to be easy to swap tool heads and shell plates also but I don’t change between lg & sm primers the press is set up for sm primers so that is the way I run it .
    A member mentioned having a extra charge bar set for deferent powder loads on the Dillon would save a lot of adjustments . It was great advice & I took it .
    Good luck