WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Truck

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    Nope, just stupid brainwashing. If that's an idea of a truck for you, go for it. I personally will not own any vehicle with an OHC engine, so unless that changes, I won't be buying any Toyota truck.

The interiors are crap, too, which in my old age, is becoming a much more serious consideration.
    Whatever.

Boolit Buddy
    I drove a 90 chevy extended cab until the rust grabbed you every time you got in it. Had a newer crate motor and tranny. Just wanted something a bit nicer to take on the road. I am not a Ford fan, always a GM guy. Read stuff until I was blue in the face. I ended up with a 17 Ram and love it. Drives and rides like a dream. Big back seat area with flat fold downs. The Hemi has tons of power. Never thought I would buy a Ram but comparing prices I could get a Ram for at least 2 grand less than Ford or Chevy. I will get back to you in ten years.
    Last edited by Huskerguy; 01-22-2021 at 09:59 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Oh, and when you do eventually get a new truck, the right answer is always Tundra or Tacoma...
    /\

Banned
    Nope, just stupid brainwashing. If that's an idea of a truck for you, go for it. I personally will not own any vehicle with an OHC engine, so unless that changes, I won't be buying any Toyota truck.

The interiors are crap, too, which in my old age, is becoming a much more serious consideration.
    Why would you avoid an Overhead Cam Engine? And BTW, your options of cam in block engines is getting limited.

As for the brainwashing comment; someone has been brainwashed for sure, but I don't think it was Toyota owners.

Boolit Master

I retired in fall of 2017, the following month my wife bought me my 'retirement truck.' Ram 1500 Eco Diesel with all of the bells and whistles she wanted and without some I wanted. It turns out she knew a couple of things would not do well during Colorado Winters. She complained it 'didn't get the mileage' I claimed it would, but it does when I'm driving. She drives it like a hemi, I drive it like a truck with a diesel and lots of gears. She once sent me a picture of the mileage only being 26 mpg on the interstate, I pointed out she was doing 85.

I've been driving diesel cars and trucks since 1977 when I got my license, including bigger rigs when I worked in the oilfields. Dad and my brothers have all had diesels. After I bought (well, wife bought it) my dad started looking into the eco diesel. He bought a used one, 8 months older, 40K miles on it. His wasn't 'loaded' as it was a 2wd tradesman, but still nice. He regularly gets 30 highway, 24 city. He figured he didn't need 4wd as he didn't go back in the hills like he used to and so his is kind of plain jane, but still rides nicely. His slightly used truck was half the cost of mine.

I like diesel for the longevity, not a fan of the DEF crap, but bought from the pump at a truck stop beats buying a box of DEF from bix box stores by more than half. Fresh DEF is better. There are modifications to bypass the DEF and the exhaust redirection through the intake. I'm not touching it until the warranty is up but look forward to the increased mileage and performance, and the reduction of carbon buildup in the intake manifold. The motor can be tuned for extreme performance, I like it just fine when using it as designed. I've driven Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Ram diesels, the worst being the first Chevy diesel with the converted 350 CI gas motors. The cranks were prone to breaking, fortunately under the 100k warranty, Dad's went over 200k without breakage but would have been a good rebuild with a forged rather than cast crank.

As far as the Ford eco-boost, a brother in law bought one and loved it. I drove it and was impressed. The eco diesel still out did his truck.

As for the Toyota 'cult' my brother has had 2, the 1986 one he wrecked, the other (1999) with over 200k on it. He is looking at having the engine gone through but would give his right arm if he could get their diesel. Toyota doesn't sell them to the US, but they run the heck out of them down under, under extreme off road excursions. His other truck is a Dodge 2500 4x4 with the cummins.

My favorite diesel was a 1976 Diesel Peugeot sedan, a 2 liter that they used to put in the Majindra before Majindra started making their own diesel engines. For now, I really like my Ram 1500, but my 4 yo grand daughter thinks its 'her truck.' I told her 'of course it is, and Papa will take you where every you want to go.'
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    I do so enjoy this! It's hilarious that someone has their heels so dug in that they're willing to be a complete jack wagon to defend their choice!!!

(full disclosure - I have owned 20+ Ford pickups + F150 to F550, 6 Chevy pickups 1500 to 3500, assorted dodge pickups, and exactly ONE Toyota - currently own 2 -1500 Chevy (2004 and 2003), 1- 2008 2500 diesel Chevy, 1-2020 3500 diesel Chevy)) I enjoy and hate each and every one!!! (Other than the 2018 Toyota - I cannot say enough bad about it). Oops! Also a 1983 F250 diesel and a 1947 F5

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My 2017 F150 was bought back by Ford due to issues with the trans they would not, or could not fix. Outside of that the 3.5 eco is a great motor. I now own a 2019 F250. It is two years old and has been perfect.
    I love how the new Dodge's interior is. Nicest of all the top 3. If Ford didnt offer me such a sweet deal to stay with Ford I would of bought a Dodge. Also checked out the Chevy/GMC. Nice but just nothing special that hit my eye.
    Don't go with the Tundra if you want a real truck. The Tundra is only rated to carry 1300-1500 pounds including passengers. My 2017 F150 was rated at 2100 or so. Tundra is more car like than truck like. But they are dependable. Owned a 2013 Tundra for 4 years. 500 pounds in the bed and it would sag like my grandma's boobies.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

If it's running great and there are no problems, why replace it? Drive it until it dies, then look for something new. In the mean time, stick what you'd be spending on a car payment into savings.
    By the time the Ford dies, you'll probably have enough to get something new cash or with a very small loan. My $0.02...
    I would like too but I cant have two car payments at the same time the longer i wait holds my wife back from getting a new car
    and I'm two years late

Thank you all for your suggestions
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Oh, and when you do eventually get a new truck, the right answer is always Tundra or Tacoma...
    Good luck with that... You are on a forum where most folks still carry wheelguns and consider the 30+ year old Glock a "fad"... Funny how similarly that folks claim an affinity for absolute reliability in firearms, but in a vehicle, it's secondary to the nameplate on the front.

And unlike firearms, there exists extensive data on just how reliable and trouble-free various vehicles are.

When I was shopping for a new vehicle a couple of years ago, I wanted a half-ton 4dr 4x4 pickup. I looked at and drove them all. I wanted an 8' bed so I could haul my ATV in the back. Buying a used truck around here is pointless. They hold their value so much that you save a few thousand over new and get a truck that has nearly 100k miles and has been subjected to who knows what kind of abuse. Lots of farmers and loggers who are hard on trucks.

I really liked the F-150 and they were reasonably reliable. But, even though the website shows that they make them with an 8' bed and supercab, I have never seen one. Plus, every single one I saw for sale on a dealer lot was over $40k, unless it was a plain white regular cab with the 2.7 liter V6. Gross.

Checked out the Chevy offerings and it was the same. Plus, lots of horror stories about them and transmissions. Dodge had just released the new Ram 1500 and it was sexy inside and out, plus you could get a Tradesman package for around $30k. But, the quality was just not there and no 8' bed option.

Finally stopped by the Toyota dealer and they had one 2019 left in the configuration I wanted; 5.7 V8, 4dr cab with 8' bed, but it was painted desert tan. Price was $33k. I drove it and realized just how giant a full-size pickup with 4 doors and a full-size bed is. This would be my daily driver and the thought of trying to negotiate it around downtown was daunting.

I took a hard look at what I really needed for getting to work, getting into the woods, and what would make the most sense. So I ended up with a 2019 Toyota 4Runner. I also got a nice utility trailer for towing my UTV and for hauling stuff. I love the thing, though the gas mileage is awful. The only time it has seen the dealer is for oil changes and tire rotations.

Despite thousands of miles off-road on rough roads and towing, it remains tight and rattle-free. I rode in a co-workers 2 year old F-150 to go to lunch and it had an annoying amount of little rattles and squeaks inside. And he is a yuppie who has never even been on a gravel road in his immaculate pickup.

So yeah, I don't fall for the nonsense about how I'm un-American for driving a Toyota, or they are outdated, or unimpressive on paper because they don't have the latest doo-dads and 75-speed transmissions. I don't care. I care about getting into the woods and back without worrying about breaking down, or being able to go on a road trip without worrying about breaking down.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned
    I've driven, owned and worked on most of them. Brand loyalty is often blind but I will say that over the years I've been consistently impressed with Toyota. I can't speak to their current trucks and frankly, NO ONE CAN. It's only after considerable years and miles that anyone can pass judgement on any piece of equipment. They often seem great at first (A lot like women !). It's only after long term use that we get some idea of longevity, common failures, strengths, weaknesses and so on.

In 1995 I purchased a slightly used Dodge 3/4 ton 4wd with the Cummins diesel. That was the old 12 valve Cummins with the mechanical injector pump. The engine was absolutely bulletproof. The rest of the truck was a long series of never ending repairs. It always got me home and I owned that truck for 17 years, but I doubt I'll ever buy another Dodge.

Like fcvan, I'm a fan of diesels. However when my Dodge went away my needs had changed and I acquired a Toyota Tacoma. It's an older 4 cylinder, 5-Speed, 4WD; but I'll drive that until the wheels fall off. I don't need the 3/4 ton capacity anymore and that little Tacoma has paid for itself and then some. Like fcvan, If I could get my hands on a diesel Toyota Hi-Lux, I would own one. They are awesome trucks.

Part of the problem is people tend to form opinions based on past experiences (where else could you gain that knowledge) but the situations change. That incredible Chevy Cheyenne, Ford F-250 or Dodge Power Wagon you owned 40 years ago isn't an indicator of that brands current lineup.

I will say this. Next time you're watching some news story about some event in a third world country; pay attention to what the farmers/freedom fighters/warlords/rescue workers/whatever are driving. 9 times out of 10 - its a Toyota !
    They didn't select a Toyota because it was "all they could get", they selected a Toyota because over the past 40 years it has proven to be the Best They Could Get.

Boolit Master

Every one has their opinion. Good luck with what ever you buy.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    The only vehicle I had with incredible gas mileage was a 1959 VW Beatle that would travel over 360 miles on 8 imperial gallons. Driving it added days to a road trip if there were long uphill stretches
    For me it was an Austin Healy Sprite but it was not slow. A 6 gallon gas tank that was easy to fill, I think the whole car was 1600 pounds with an 1100 cc engine.

I'm sold on Cummins, you get a dodge with that.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    So for the record, my daily driver is an 09 Tacoma. It's creeping up on 200k. Still tight, no leaks, drives great, and aside from a little scratch here and there, it still looks new. Like all of the other Toyotas I've owned, I've only done routine maintenance and changed tires (knock on wood...). The old pushrod Chevy 1500 I had years back? By 85k that thing was a wobbly rattle-trap and burned nearly as much oil as gas.

Yeah, it doesn't have 10k worth of electronic BS and a bunch of leather. It can't pull a 20,000lb trailer or haul 5000lbs in the bed. But that's all fine. It does what I need...Gets me places reliably and goes like hell in the snow and off-road. I'd jump in the thing tomorrow morning and drive it across country without a single concern for not getting where I was going.

So I had the chance to drive a new Ranger for a week early last year. Yeah, it had the flashy infotainment business and fancy interior. But the engine was manic, the power delivery was rough, the 37 speed trans hunted constantly, the stop-start was flaky and annoying, braking and steering both felt mushy. I'm sure it could beat the Taco in a drag race, but I didn't find it to be an improvement and I was happy to get my ride back when it was all done.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    No one has mentioned how well their trucks hold up to corrosion. Especially if you live in the snow belt, where they use a lot of salt. Any brands better than others in that respect?

Boolit Master
    I should note - I pull a 6000# ANCHOR (let's say a work tool) for approximately 35,000 miles a year +/- into less than ideal road conditions in the mountains and have a work box in the bed that weighs a consistent 2500#. My prior/typical F150's did great, pulling on ice and snow and whatever. My Chevy's have performed admirably as well. My experience with the Toyota was ridiculous. It would shift uncontrollably and was less than stellar under load, I burnt bearings in less than 2000 miles. I took it back for answers and was told that all of the Toyota lines are designed for a lot of weightless commuting and were reliable for actual cargo and pulling less than 50% of what I was asking. I ended up having to sell it at 20,000 miles for around 40% of the purchase price. I tried to buy another for an associate and had the aforementioned requirements in hand - the salesman told me to get a Ford or Chevy.
    Before anyone gets all wadded up about the weight I am using - look at the advertised towing and hauling capabilities of the 1/2 ton pickups.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cwtebay; 01-22-2021 at 11:11 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    No one has mentioned how well their trucks hold up to corrosion. Especially if you live in the snow belt, where they use a lot of salt. Any brands better than others in that respect?
    The dreaded tin worm shows no favorites.
    They ALL rust, just in different ways.

For those of you old enough to remember, there was a entire cottage industry built around replacing Ford cab supports.
    GM trucks had rocker panels that you could use to guess the year of the truck by the size of the holes.
    Dodge's would lose the outer panel of the beds around the rear wheels.
    When Toyota finally got the body to where it wouldn't fall off the frame due to rust, they screwed up the frame and it rusted.
    Nissans would rust anyplace two panels met, typically around the doors.

Now, moving into the current era, It's too soon to know if any of the manufacturers have finally corrected their old faults but I wouldn't put a lot of money on that bet.

I will say that spray on bed liners and undercoating when the truck is new has probably saved more trucks than anything.

Boolit Master

I'm in the Toyota camp. I've driven Toyota Avalon's since 1995. We are on the third one now. I also have a 2013 Tundra. I don't use it to earn a living. I'm retired and have been for the last 14 years. All the criticism about Tundra towing capacity doesn't worry me. I use it to carry my stuff from home to the range and a few other light duties. All these Toyota's have given me less trouble in total than my last "American" car did in less than 5 years. The only criticism I have is that batteries replaced by the Toyota dealer seem to be at the bottom of the reliability list. They told me last year that my truck battery was on its last legs. Still starts every time. Probably will replace it this summer. Don't think an 8 year old battery will stand the summer heat here in TN. BTW, the dealer won't replace the battery. I'm going to shop around and get the largest battery that will fit the tray.
    John
    W.TN

I'd get a GMC just for the step tailgate, they do look good, although I've only seen them on TV.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    I'd get a GMC just for the step tailgate, they do look good, although I've only seen them on TV.

Slim
    They stole that idea from Ford...

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/01...ature%20itself.

"Chevrolet (and GM as a whole) has a well-documented history of poking fun at its rival Ford, especially when it comes to pickup trucks. However, it seems that the brand (and automaker) may be caught with its foot in its mouth.

New patent filings, reported by AutoGuide, show that General Motors has patented a tailgate step similar to what Ford introduced in 2009 as the StepGate system. At the time of its introduction, Chevrolet produced an ad mocking the “man step”, but it looks like the brand is ready to introduce the feature itself."
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned
    alamogunr, you are absolutely correct about summer heat killing batteries but 8 years on one isn't bad. Cold weather will expose a weak battery but it's the heat that does the damage.

My girlfriend has a very abused Toyota with over 250K. She did most of that abuse. I'm the one that usually repairs that car and a lessor machine would have died years ago. Despite the poor treatment, that car has stood up well.
    The repairs have been things like the starter finally died at about 240K, the alternator died at about 200K (original brushes still in it), and other thing like that.

I've seen many old 22R 4 cylinder engines from the old Toyota trucks go 300K. The manual transmissions will not die along as there's oil in them. The transfer cases will outlast a couple of trucks.

I'm impressed with the engineering that goes into Toyotas. Even a cheap, low end model will give good service.