Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Truck

Boolit Grand Master
    My daily driver is an 04 Tundra. 4.7 liter. 157,000 miles on it. I have had two coolant leaks on the top front of the engine(common on these I have been told). O/H'd the transmission at about 80K miles (bearing in torque converter disintigrated and took out tranny) replaced drivers door (door check pulled out of door) and replaced drivers seat(frame broke in a few places). Probably spent about 6K in repairs on it. Last Toyota truck I will have. Have had good luck with the Toyota cars we have bought though.

My '07 Duramax work truck has had a leaking power steering hose, but thats about it. Have 67K on it. Don't drive it much nowadays due to the China Flu, but need it now and then.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    alamogunr, you are absolutely correct about summer heat killing batteries but 8 years on one isn't bad. Cold weather will expose a weak battery but it's the heat that does the damage.

My girlfriend has a very abused Toyota with over 250K. She did most of that abuse. I'm the one that usually repairs that car and a lessor machine would have died years ago. Despite the poor treatment, that car has stood up well.
    The repairs have been things like the starter finally died at about 240K, the alternator died at about 200K (original brushes still in it), and other thing like that.

I've seen many old 22R 4 cylinder engines from the old Toyota trucks go 300K. The manual transmissions will not die along as there's oil in them. The transfer cases will outlast a couple of trucks.

I'm impressed with the engineering that goes into Toyotas. Even a cheap, low end model will give good service.
    And repairs are easy and simple. So far for me.

Boolit Master

I've found that the most effective way to determine how reliable a particular vehicle is, is to find an internet forum for that particular vehicle and start reading.

You can pretty easily figure out the common issues that the vehicles have.

I went to a Ram forum and was amazed at the huge number of threads on issues, the "stickies" at the top of page addressing recalls and common problems, and the angry and frustrated owners who vowed to never again buy a Ram.

I'm on a similar forum for my 4Runner, and the vast number of threads are on what accessories to add, what tires fit and work best, glove box organizers, etc. 4Runner owners are obsessive over customizing since they have nothing else to worry about. Ram and Chevy owners worry about their dealer's loaner vehicle policy when their vehicle is in the shop for the 4th time that year.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

This whole discussion confirms my decision was the right one. I have a 2000 F-150 4x4. After much thought I decided to permanently (as much as possible) fix the Check Engine light issue. After that was cured for $1200-$1500 and lots of my labor, it got a fresh coat of paint for another $3000. It could use a new interior and I’ve found a company to replace it for a reasonable price. I just didn’t want the issues of the newer engines with 3 valves and cam phasers and didn’t have any desire to fork out for a new truck. At this point its major function is home improvement store runs. The daily drier is a hotrod Honda Accord coupe.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    No one has mentioned how well their trucks hold up to corrosion. Especially if you live in the snow belt, where they use a lot of salt. Any brands better than others in that respect?
    This is one of the reasons I'm looking for a new truck the rear fenders are just about gone on my 2008 F150 i only have 115000 miles on it it's a good running truck the only thing that I had to fix on it was the break's and a tuneup wires and plugs tires
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned
    Rust is the great equalizer.

The tin worm shows no favorites.

Unless you get an old Land Rover that has an aluminum body, but then you would have a whole new set of problems

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    This is one of the reasons I'm looking for a new truck the rear fenders are just about gone on my 2008 F150 i only have 115000 miles on it it's a good running truck the only thing that I had to fix on it was the break's and a tuneup wires and plugs tires
    Why not look for a new bed for it and paint it? Unless the cancer has already spread.

Moderator Emeritus

The point with cars is to build to a level where you are paying cash. Get a 4 year loan and when it's paid keep paying the payment to your savings account. Trade at 6 years rather than at 4. Now you have trade + $10K or a private sale and $$$. If freedom is not having a house payment, true freedom is not having a car or house payment.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    This whole discussion confirms my decision was the right one. I have a 2000 F-150 4x4. After much thought I decided to permanently (as much as possible) fix the Check Engine light issue. After that was cured for $1200-$1500 and lots of my labor, it got a fresh coat of paint for another $3000. It could use a new interior and I’ve found a company to replace it for a reasonable price. I just didn’t want the issues of the newer engines with 3 valves and cam phasers and didn’t have any desire to fork out for a new truck. At this point its major function is home improvement store runs. The daily drier is a hotrod Honda Accord coupe.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Unless you get an old Land Rover that has an aluminum body, but then you would have a whole new set of problems
    Man, ain't that that truth!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    The point with cars is to build to a level where you are paying cash. Get a 4 year loan and when it's paid keep paying the payment to your savings account. Trade at 6 years rather than at 4. Now you have trade + $10K or a private sale and $$$. If freedom is not having a house payment, true freedom is not having a car or house payment.
    I dont even see the logic to trade every 6 years. As long as a vehicle meets my needs and runs good its staying.
    East Tennessee

Wouldn't have a camry but had a 2004 4runer (totaled by 10 ton truck) and 2006. Plugs, tires battery, gave to daughter @ 80K and she still drives it - 120K mi. Worn out Tundras low mileage a dime a dozen around here.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    As I posted earlier, I have had 3 Avalons. Kept the first one 10 years. At 200k miles it was finally broken in. The second we kept 11 years but only drove it 140K+ miles(we have gotten old). Not sure we will ever replace the third. The Tundra was bought new in 2013. It only has approx 41K on it. I have to make myself just get in and drive 50-100 miles so it doesn't get lazy. I doubt that I will ever own another truck. At this rate I can have it buried with me and still probably only have less than 150K miles.
    John
    W.TN

I have a 2011 F150 4x4 that has the first year of the 3.5 liter ecoboost and the last year of the steel body. That means that not a lot of the truck beyond the engine applies to the years OP asked about. The engine has been flawless over 115k miles and a bunch of towing. Overall I have been real happy with the truck and will buy another F150 when the time comes. A buddy has a 2016 and has had zero problems with it.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

Thanks brewer 12345 how's the body on your truck as far as rust

Boolit Master

What's rust?

This was a `96 F-150 I was looking at last summer and thinking about buying. We don't salt the roads out here in the winter. Should have jumped on that truck. If it would have been 4wd, it would be in my driveway at the $2500 price.

Attachment 275962
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I've owned three trucks in my life.

An old internation harvester pickup. It was powder blue... Meaning if you touched it, you would get blue powder on you. I drove it home on back roads and parked it. I acquired it in a trade. Never had time or money to do much else with it. Kind of wished I had.

I bought a used 2007 Tundra around 2012 or so. It had about 80k miles on it. I put 3 rear ends under it before the transmission started going out. The third rear end was making noise too. The engine ran like the day I bought it. Great power with the 4.30 ratio and tow package. I understand that the later models don't have the problem with rear end issues.

I've had my 2019 Ram Bighorn for a little over a year. Probably too soon to tell, but so far it is doing well. Gas mileage with the Hemi it's decent if I keep my foot under control. Ride is ok. It has lots of 'stuff' on it. Some probably isn't necessary. I sometimes wish I had the larger crew cab rather than the quad cab, but with the 6 ft bed, it would be harder to maneuver in parking lots.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    Hello I'm starting to look for a new to me truck is there any issues with 2016 - 2019 F150 4x4 Right now I have a 2008 with a
    5,4 Triton and it has been a great running Truck with no issues at all but it's time to get something newer the only needs that I need in my new Truck is 4 wheel drive and that's about it thanks for your suggestions
    I own a 2016 F150 3.5 twin turbo and have had no issues with it
    I have pulled some heavy stuff with it (bobcat and trailer) no troubles with it
    Four wheel drive works real good,it has a feature where you can turn off the limited slip and get traction to both rear wheels like a posi rear end not sure if it works the same in front on 4 wheel drive but no matter
    Not to fond of the back assist steering but like the tow package with the trailer brake controller
    I have had to ad that feature
    been good to me so far got it with 33,000 now have 94,000 on it
    I did ad a air assist rear bags and on board compressor no more squatting for me
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I own a 2016 F150 3.5 twin turbo and have had no issues with it
    I have pulled some heavy stuff with it (bobcat and trailer) no troubles with it
    Four wheel drive works real good,it has a feature where you can turn off the limited slip and get traction to both rear wheels like a posi rear end not sure if it works the same in front on 4 wheel drive but no matter
    Not to fond of the back assist steering but like the tow package with the trailer brake controller
    I have had to ad that feature
    been good to me so far got it with 33,000 now have 94,000 on it
    I did ad a air assist rear bags and on board compressor no more squatting for me
    Thanks how's the body holding out as far as Rust

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Something I’ve never understood, why are there Chevy and GMC trucks? Isn’t Chevy part of General Motors?

Boolit Master
    Greg
    The same reason there were Johnson and Evinrude OBM. Or H110 and 296

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast