RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Truck

Boolit Master

Looking for a Truck

Hello I'm starting to look for a new to me truck is there any issues with 2016 - 2019 F150 4x4 Right now I have a 2008 with a
    5,4 Triton and it has been a great running Truck with no issues at all but it's time to get something newer the only needs that I need in my new Truck is 4 wheel drive and that's about it thanks for your suggestions
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I bought a used 2014 GMC Sierra Z 71 in 2016, it has been a really good truck.

Boolit Master
    Ive read several articles on the cam phasers being guaranteed to go bad on the newer Fords. That 5.4 you have is prolly the last of the good ones. I would do some research on the maintenance, longevity, and reliability of Fords new turbo motors. Im not sold that they've built something that will last.

Boolit Master
    I just bought a 2017 last summer. I'm not one of those that gets a "new to me" vehicle often, and have yet to purchase a New vehicle...ever. With that being said my neighbor turned wrenches his whole life and his son not only earning master mechanic at Ford has worked at dealerships of all flavors including Ag and Bobcat dealers. I just mention because I've grown up with this family and hold their opinion in high regards. This is how they made a big purchase the easiest ever for me.
    1) Don't buy new unless last years model and Dealer has Exceptional incentives to offer. All Dealer incentives are not the same
    2) I looked for used that still had factory warranty 3yrs. 35k miles. Purchase 100k warranty off line, there are only a few Ford Authorized dealers and a simple search will show you who is best. A dealer can not touch this warranty for what these guys do and you save between $500-1k.
    3) Make a list of options you want from most to least. This will help tremendously and
    4) Dad bought 2020 twin turbo V6, most likely his last truck. It is a great engine and his 2016 had it and they pulled 18' boat all summer long without issue. Kid and I choose V8. Reason for this was we plan on keeping our trucks for the long haul. His opinion was even though the V6 is a great engine the cost of turbo parts and labor will be and overall repairs will be higher and offset the very small difference in gas mileage.
    5) I'll add the Dealer I purchased from offered Lifetime warranty on chassis & major components. This says a lot towards the Mfg. and Dealer to stand behind it

You will find regardless of engine over the years listed there has been improvements with any issues. I will say Ford has stood behind and addressed everything, nothing major as of Service Campaigns or Recalls. I would look at the 2019 as they have the latest and greatest revisions. Good luck I love my truck!

Banned
    I can't offer much on the 2016-2019 F-150's.
    If you don't need a lot of hauling/towing capacity, I would make fuel mileage a major criteria in your search. This new administration coupled with a dem controlled Congress is going to make war on the oil industry. You can bet your last dollar that fuel costs are going up.

They've already blocked the Keystone pipeline project. Foreign affairs will be a disaster (which means middle east oil will be in jeopardy) , they are pushing for more environmental regulation and there's already talk of increasing the federal fuel tax.
    So, my advice would be to put fuel mileage near the top of your list of needs.

Boolit Master
    To be honest, even though I have been a GM fan for several years now, I absolutely do not like any of the newer trucks, no matter who makes them. Having said that, I will still recommend a GM over a Ford or Dodge product. If you can find a 10 to 12 year old Chevrolet with less than 100,000 miles, buy it.

Boolit Master
    I am on my 15th F150 that I purchased in December.
    I can honestly say I've never had a problem with them at all!! Until 2018. I had 2 in a row that were taken back because of irreparable damage caused by poor assembly of: fuel pump/system (pumped around 10 gallons of gas into the ventilation system), transfer case, front axle, front drive line, differential, coolant forced into fuel injection, transmission linkage, etc. I told our salesperson that this would be the last one that I would be buying. I was sort of forced into trading into this current one because GM wouldn't touch the last one with its front end issues.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I have a 2018 with the 5.0 Coyote FTX it’s 200 lbs lighter than my 2010 . It is the only truck I ever had where somebody saw it at the dealer getting a oil change ,contacted a salesman and asked them to make an offer to me to buy my truck. I’m keeping my truck, best F150 I have had yet.

Boolit Master

I used to drive Chev, Ford and Dodge, and have a Ford ranger *** that I have owned and poured cash into repairs since it was off warranty in reserve.
    I have driven Toyota tundra's for over ten years. I have owned 6 other Toyota's in the past 45 years.

My current Tundra (Crewmax) is 2011. and has over 140,000 miles. On the highway it can get 20 mp/ U.Sl gallon. - about 12 liters / 100 km
    It is built in San Antonio Texas with more N. American made parts than the "Domestic" brands.

Repairs, Spiral control cable to in the steering wheel $375, rebuilt A/C compresser #750 rear springs rebuild $750.
    Brake pads and rotors at 120,000 km and at 190,000 km
    I expect to get another 10 trouble free years out of it, if I live long enough
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    Hello I'm starting to look for a new to me truck is there any issues with 2016 - 2019 F150 4x4 Right now I have a 2008 with a
    5,4 Triton and it has been a great running Truck with no issues at all but it's time to get something newer the only needs that I need in my new Truck is 4 wheel drive and that's about it thanks for your suggestions
    If it's running great and there are no problems, why replace it? Drive it until it dies, then look for something new. In the mean time, stick what you'd be spending on a car payment into savings.
    By the time the Ford dies, you'll probably have enough to get something new cash or with a very small loan. My $0.02...

Boolit Buddy
    Oh, and when you do eventually get a new truck, the right answer is always Tundra or Tacoma...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Oh, and when you do eventually get a new truck, the right answer is always Tundra or Tacoma...
    They are dated and underpowered at this point. They may have a cult following, but they are clearly outmatched by their competition at this point.

Fords new turbo motors they are using the 3.5 V6 turbo. Biggest prob with that engine is water pump is integral. Some are using GDI and port injection to avoid the intake carbon buildup. CARB is driving smaller motors and turbo is the only way to get HP & torque. Read someplace the exhaust manifold is integral with the head on turbo models.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    all I know is I recently heard a guy who knows a whole bunch more than I will ever know about engineering and manufacturing say that GM trucks are by far the best way to go vs dodge or ford. ive had chevy's for a long time and only thing that disappointed was the fuel injectors in my 01 duramax but the new 6.0 gas has same tow capacity as the old diesel in the 3/4 ton

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    They are dated and underpowered at this point. They may have a cult following, but they are clearly outmatched by their competition at this point.
    They have a cult following for a reason...They're well made and last forever.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I was always more or less a Ford truck guy. I’m retired now and don’t need a truck, but I’ve only heard good about Toyotas. I don’t know about prices, but if I were to buy a truck today, I think it would be a Toyota, if I could afford it. Especially, if I was buying a used one.

Boolit Master
    I bought a new 2019 F-150 about a year and a half ago and am quite happy with it. It is a 4x4 with the smaller engine and I have been pleasantly surprised with the gas mileage on my long business runs to remote customers. It gets almost 24.5 miles per gallon! Around town (visiting urban customers) it gets about 19 mpg. I have only needed the 4wd once and it worked well but I do run it for a bit on 4x4 about once a month. I bought the F-150 because I was underwhelmed by the new Ford Rangers and the Nissan Frontiers are not that durable even if the amenities on the Nissans are great. I usually get a new truck about every five years (or about 95,000 miles) for business reasons and always look over the Toyotas. I know the Toyotas are great trucks but they always seemed overpriced for what you get.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 01-22-2021 at 01:53 PM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Google can be your friend. I just bought a car, and did searches for recalls, gas mileage, customer reviews, repair issues on several dozen cars. It saves a lot of heartbreak getting feedback from the mechanics who work on them, and the people driving them. I ended up with a 2013 Lexus, as the best car I could get in my price range.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

and if you are light on the gas pedal your 5.7 Liter tundra will get almost the same gas mileage as the Tacoma.
    But never as good as a Ford who some owners have told me that mileage is so good that sometimes their tank will overflow on a long trip....
    The only vehicle I had with incredible gas mileage was a 1959 VW Beatle that would travel over 360 miles on 8 imperial gallons. Driving it added days to a road trip if there were long uphill stretches
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Buddy
    They have a cult following for a reason...They're well made and last forever.
    Nope, just stupid brainwashing. If that's an idea of a truck for you, go for it. I personally will not own any vehicle with an OHC engine, so unless that changes, I won't be buying any Toyota truck.

The interiors are crap, too, which in my old age, is becoming a much more serious consideration.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast