MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: PC fail? Aluminum foil gas checks.

Boolit Bub

PC fail? Aluminum foil gas checks.

First time doing PC. I just swirled them in a number 5 container. I got good coverage .003 . My powder directions called for 400 at 10 minutes which I did. I let them sit on the foil covered pan to cool/dry. The bullets look great. The problem was they stuck to the aluminum foil. When I tear them off , the bases are completely silver like little aluminum foil gas checks. They do pass the smash test and are easily sized right back to .452 .
    I have a few questions.
    What should I do differently? Can I load and shoot these? If not , what should I do with them, just melt them?
    Thank you for your help.
    David

Choot em. The nonstick mat is one of the greatest things to aid in pcing. Cut them to fit and never look back, the boolits peel right off and you are ready to stack the next ones on it.

Boolit Master

I bought a roll of nonstick aluminum foil as suggested when I started with PC. one piece of foil could be baked on numerous times. Never stuck a bullet to the foil. Now I use a nonstick baking mat

Boolit Bub
    Wow!! The baking pad is amazing. No more shreds of aluminum foil all over the bench.
    Thanks,
    David

Banned
    I got good coverage .003 -- Is a bit thick, try removing more of the excess PC before baking.

10 minutes at 400° after the boolits reach 400° seems a little short for a full cure, double-check what the powder manufacturer specifies for baking time and temp.

Use an oven thermometer to make sure your oven is reaching the temperature you set it to, if not adjust the oven so until the thermometer reads your desired temp.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Read the foil! One side is marked non-stick. The other side is not.

I have foil that has over 20 bakes and not a stick. Get good quality name-brand (Reynolds) not the garbage at the dollar or discount store!!!!!!!! It does work................VERY WELL!

banger

Boolit Master
    also parchment paper will not stick.

Vendor Sponsor

use the non stick side of the foil and let them cool all the way . if cool they will just fall over with the wisk of the hand. my foil is probably 40 or more cooks on the same piece
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Bub
    It was heavy duty foil, but store brand. I did not use a thermometer. It’s a fairly nice oven and I was hoping it would be close enough to at least give it a try. My powder by the pound paperwork said 400 for 10, but I did miss the part about 10 minutes after bullets up to temp. I probably really left them in there 11 minutes after setting timer etc.. What are the symptoms to not being fully cured? How do you remove excess powder? I loaded up 20 and was gonna give them a go tomorrow. Sorry about the sideways pic, but here is one of them.
    Thanks,
    David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 36BB5E67-F94E-4494-935B-04DF6D879B44.jpeg  

Banned

I use the non-stick aluminum foil too. I have learned from experience to let the pills cool completely before taking them out of the pan, and I have several bakes on one sheet.

Boolit Bub
    I baked up 20 more , but this time for 26 minutes. 6 to bring up bullet temp and 20 to cure. They look about the same and seem to have about the same scratch resistance. I’ll load these and take them along also. Thanks for everyone’s help and and advice.
    David

Boolit Master

Smash one with a hammer and see if the paint is bonded or flaking - it shouldn't flake.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ky-Dave View Post
    How do you remove excess powder?
    Shake the bullets in a basket of some kind to roll them around a bit - but the bullet in your photo looks fine, no excess paint.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Hammer test as stated above. Pound into a little cube.

Don't overthink this rather simple process.....it is not rocket science. Coat 'em and shoot 'em.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Parchment paper or teflon cookie sheets.

Ky-Dave: Do yourself a big favor and get yourself some silicone baking mats and maybe some of the silicone potholder-trivets that are honeycombed to hold the small bullets. I quit using the non-stick foil a couple years ago and things got much easier. Gp