WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Break-Over Shotguns Used As Muzzleloaders

Break-Over Shotguns Used As Muzzleloaders

About a year or so ago I saw a video of a guy replacing the primer in a spent shot shell and then using his single shot break over shotgun as a muzzleloader. At the time I thought well, OK, that's not very exciting. But later I thought about those rifled slug barrels and muzzleloading boolits. I don't have a break over shotgun, much less a rifled barrel slug gun, but surely there's somebody out there that does and maybe someone that has tried out muzzleloading with one. Any way, it's just something that I got interesting in looking at and thought I mention.

A 20Ga with enough black powder in it to get the bullet (maybe a Lyman mold?) up past the chamber, now that might be interesting to try out.

Had a long barreled Stevens side by side 12 years ago. Kinda wish I'd thought of trying it out with patched round ball.

Loading a metallic cartridge/shotshell chamber from the front doesn't make it a muzzleloader that's legit for hunting.

While OK as a toy for shooting on a private/public shooting range, most states will never approve it for hunting because it's too easy to use a loaded cartridge in the chamber during muzzleloader-only seasons.

My state won't allow a modern cartridge arm like a Mossberg 500 (et al) that has an aftermarket muzzleloading barrel with no metallic cartridge chamber.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

The better conversions have the original barrel cut to a stub and a rifle barrel threaded and fit in. Then a breech plug for a 209 shot shell primer fitted.

I saw that same video, and thought at the time it was the long way around the barn. Why go to all,that trouble, when you can just carry preloaded ammo in your pocket. As mentioned above, that procedure doesn’t make the gun legal for muzzleloading season, anyway.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Long ago and far away, I reamed out a shotgun shell base just enough for the primers to slide in and out. I loaded it with 3F and 3/4 oz. Of #6 from the muzzle, using newspaper for wadding. I took a couple of squirrels, it was fun, I got over it and cleaned the Topper Jr. 20 gauge and never did it again...

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

That's how I did it as a kid. Got a box of shells for Christmas, 3 inch .410. Reloaded those until the crimp broke off. Cut back to 2 1/2 inch, good for a while. Eventually those wore out, so I cut the tube off the bases and used them as a muzzleloader until next Christmas when I got a new box of shells and started over. It works when it's all you have.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    That's how I did it as a kid. Got a box of shells for Christmas, 3 inch .410. Reloaded those until the crimp broke off. Cut back to 2 1/2 inch, good for a while. Eventually those wore out, so I cut the tube off the bases and used them as a muzzleloader until next Christmas when I got a new box of shells and started over. It works when it's all you have.
    I think you got all the good out of that box of shells.
    Well done.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Good Cheer - take a look at these adapters for converting a single shot shotgun into a muzzleloader.

https://www.gunadapters.com/209-muzz...ding-adapters/

While some states might not accept those type of thing for hunting - it is a good way to turn a single barrel break action shotgun into a muzzleloader. Nothing fancy needed - the adapter, the shot gun primers, ramrod, powder, shot and you can use newspaper for wad and over the powder. Nope, not a fancy ML shot gun but still can offer a lot of fun for shooting clay birds or fun shooting.

I'm as traditional as they come when it comes to muzzleloading, but when I run across a single barrel 20 gauge, I'm going to snap it up and get one of these converters. Right now, with the shortages, it's hard to come by things but I also want to get some mag tech 20 brass shot shells to load up BP shot shells for fun.

Check your hunting laws if you hunt - but there is no reason that a single barrel with an adapter used as a ML can't work on rabbits, squirrels and other critters.

I also watched the video of the fellow who cut the bases off of shot shells and used them to "convert" his single barrel into a ML. No reason it wouldn't work. When I was kid, my brother and I had several original ML shotguns. We had people give us old shotgun shells that we cut down and collected the shot from to use. With BP, newspaper for wadding and the salvaged shot, we had no problems shooting clay pigeons and I also took my share of bunnies and squirrels. While store bought wads and cards are nice to have and use, you don't have to have them to have fun with a ML shotgun.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=bedbugbilly;

I also watched the video of the fellow who cut the bases off of shot shells and used them to "convert" his single barrel into a ML. No reason it wouldn't work. When I was kid, my brother and I had several original ML shotguns. We had people give us old shotgun shells that we cut down and collected the shot from to use. With BP, newspaper for wadding and the salvaged shot, we had no problems shooting clay pigeons and I also took my share of bunnies and squirrels. While store bought wads and cards are nice to have and use, you don't have to have them to have fun with a ML shotgun.[/QUOTE]

Yep it works great, have 5 gallon bucket almost full those from shotshells that needed to be broke down.

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Good Cheer - take a look at these adapters for converting a single shot shotgun into a muzzleloader.

https://www.gunadapters.com/209-muzz...ding-adapters/
    That's some funny stuff. I might have to make one of those just for S&G's.