Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Accuracy Steel vs Carbide

Boolit Buddy

Accuracy Steel vs Carbide

Is there any accuracy potential difference between bullets produced from steel vs carbide dies? Is one material more accurately machines than the other? Really trying to determine if steel dies are adequate for my needs. I am looking to get dies capable of producing Berger level bullets assuming quality jackets and consistent cores.

Boolit Master
    Carbide rifle dies are only for high production runs. Non of the match dies are made from carbide.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Carbide rifle dies are only for high production runs. Non of the match dies are made from carbide.
    Hes talking bullet making/swage dies not reloading dies.

Im curious about this as well as im looking at buying a set of Carbide from Ulrich

Boolit Buddy
    I just talked to George yesterday. Had a couple of guys on the Accurate Shooters forum say they couldn’t get the same tolerances out of steel as George gets out of carbide. I have seen some nice groups out of this group that I think came out of steel dies. It is a significant premium to jump to carbide.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by silverjay View Post
    I just talked to George yesterday. Had a couple of guys on the Accurate Shooters forum say they couldn’t get the same tolerances out of steel as George gets out of carbide. I have seen some nice groups out of this group that I think came out of steel dies. It is a significant premium to jump to carbide.
    Benchrest central forums is another with alot of guys making their own bullets. Most are running carbide i believe , but its another forum you could check.

Boolit Grand Master

Steel swaging dies are easier to machine. They are machined while soft to within .010 -.015 then hardened and tempered then finished. Life of the dies are good. They are a little more forgiving .

Carbide dies are made from already hardened stock requiring edm and diamond tooling. They can be finished to finer surface finishes. extremely long life. Carbide can be brittle and dosnt handle shock well.

Both materials will produce good bullets its more in the operation by the operator. the big reason for the carbide is longer life

Boolit Bub
    Country gent you are correct I have been making my own benchrest bullets for many years now I use Blackman dies (steel ) two of my fellow benchrest shooters make bullets for a living and one more for him self all are using Bill Nemi carbide dies you use a little less lube with carbide dies and they do last much longer then steel dies George makes some pretty nice dies I met him once many years ago very nice guy good dies make good bullets cores need to be no less then perfect jackets with run out less then .0001 the cost to make your own doesn't come without a large price tag if you want to know about all there is to know about bullet making call Randy Robbinett ( BIB bullets ) here in Iowa be prepared to spend a LONG time talking and to learn more about bullets then you can ever imagen

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks!