Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prepare for your range experience before you go!

I had to tell a guy at the range one day to keep an eye on where his kid was pointing a gun that he had.
    The guy laughed and asked if his kid had pointed it at me. I told him no, he was pointing it at your truck.

Boolit Master

Anyone that knows me knows I’m seriously pro 2A. This will probably Ruffle some feathers but having been a RSO both before and after the ‘everybody buy a firearm’ panic I have my own opinions.
    A whole lot of completely inexperienced people have purchased firearms, way more in the past two years than any time in our history. In itself that’s good, more votes against gun-grabbers. Bad because lack of knowledge is deadly when firearms are involved. Many newcomers think just because they can purchase ( or rent a range owned) firearm they are good to go. I wish I had $10 for every person that came to the range, never shot before, purchased a handgun and couldn’t figure out how to load or operate it safely.
    I don’t know of many places a person can operate a motor vehicle without a license. Most states require a safety course or other proof of experience before they will issue a hunting license because firearms are as deadly as automobiles.
    From my perspective No one should be allowed to purchase or operate a firearm without passing a stringent firearm operating test. That would go a long way to reducing accidental firearm deaths and some of the gun-grabbers’ arguments. Firearm education generates income, taxes and could contribute to shooting sports in general.
    Commercial ranges only make money when people shoot. Too often they are willing to overlook safety & dump the problem on RSOs that are busy enough trying to keep the range safe. Face it, to the media we all look bad when someone is accidentally shot.

Boolit Master

One thing about the CA purchase rules, you hafta take a written test to see if you know about firearms safety. And ya hafta demonstrate at time of pick up that ya know how the gun works.

Don't know how many dealers are doing the demo thing. But it's been quite a while since I saw really unsafe gun handling at the pistol range.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Reading these posts makes me thankful to shoot at my own range

Boolit Master

As an Oregon ODFW certified Hunter Ed instructor, I can agree to safety course to buy a firearm.
    Some may feel it is a form of gun control.
    Kids less than 18 years old are required to have a Hunters Ed course to hunt in Oregon.
    Older people that started handling guns before the Hunter Ed was required are the worst.

Boolit Buddy

Just because you have drivers education training does not make you a safe driver. Works the same with everything, personal responability.

I worked at a boat dealer and marina for about 10 years right out of high school. When I bought my first boat, I took a boating safety course.

I don't hunt, but was a little interested, so I took a hunter safety course. I was probably in my 50s at the time.

Mandatory safety classes sound like ( to use the pc terms ) reasonable, common sense measures. I would support those measures.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Banned
    When it involves just one adult, I consider Darwin to be an excellent arbitrator of stupidity. Sometimes stupidity gets you hurt and sometimes it takes you out of the gene pool.

However, when there is more than 1 person involved, the situation changes.
    I worry about innocent people being harmed by idiots. I worry about the left capitalizing on tragic events to pursue their agenda and I worry about our reputation as gun owners.

I think this large influx of new gun owners will follow the exact same path as all other trends. There will a huge short term increase in new shooters. A lot of that interest will fade. There will unfortunately be some tragic accidents but that is no different than with the expansion of any activity.
    How many people remember the energy crisis of the 1970's (there were two) and the huge increase in people burning firewood? There were increases in chainsaw accidents , increases in chimney fires and house fires. It levels out after a while.
    We've seen similar results of injuries and deaths associated with other trends. Remember the early days of ATV's ? Mountain bikes? Jet Ski's ?
    We'll get through this bubble of new gun owners and some good will come out of it. It may seem a little overwhelming now - ammo and component shortages, crowded ranges, a few idiots and negative consequences; but it's not all doom & gloom.
    The upside will be more pro-gun voters. Increased industry support. More money for our sport (new ranges, expanded ranges)

And, the more guns in private hands in the U.S.A. , the better.

Agree with all the above and glad I shoot on my property. This has raised a dilemma for me. Where I despise any government interference with my Constitutional and God given rights, I do feel the need to require some training for all the new gun owners coming into the sport. Very difficult to balance this as the anti’s will only take advantage of any inch we yield.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Agree with all the above and glad I shoot on my property. This has raised a dilemma for me. Where I despise any government interference with my Constitutional and God given rights, I do feel the need to require some training for all the new gun owners coming into the sport. Very difficult to balance this as the anti’s will only take advantage of any inch we yield.
    True. And I believe the overall net result of this trend will be more positive than negative for our cause.

Boolit Master

Got a real problem with any government mandated training to exercise any right . BUT I believe ALL private ranges should have a program to train members on required safety protocols . Marksmanship training too if you have time and personnel, but SAFETY FIRST .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    Got a real problem with any government mandated training to exercise any right . BUT I believe ALL private ranges should have a program to train members on required safety protocols . Marksmanship training too if you have time and personnel, but SAFETY FIRST .
    I certainly agree with this /\

Banned
    Despite the temporary strain of a huge influx of new gun owners, we have an enormous opportunity here.

We get hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of new gun owners. New gun owners that are voters.
    We get to show these people our very best. We get to show them respect, politeness and good manners. We get to share knowledge. We get the opportunity to show them that guns owners are not right-wing nut cases as they've constantly been told by the liberals.
    We get to have some conversations that don't involve bizarre conspiracy theories.
    We get the opportunity to erase some liberal indoctrination, maybe even change some fundamental ideals.

Yes, there will be some initial increase in safety issues. Hopefully that curve will not be too long or severe. We can provide a good basic foundation for safe, responsible lifetime shooters.

Despite the short term inconvenience, I see a LOT of good that can come out of this.

Boolit Master

As stated by others there are a lot of positive aspects to the influx of new gun owners. Shooting is fun, it’s up to us to expand on that basic idea to protect and further our common hobby. I understand the ‘give the gun-grabbers an inch’ concern. But the media makes way more than an inch out of an accidental shooting.
    We are dealing with two distinct issues that give the anti-gunners traction.
    Gun violence, the purposeful shooting of someone; and firearm accidents.
    Not much WE can do about Gun Violence other than securing our weapons and pushing for stronger enforcement of Existing laws.
    But We can reduce accidental shooting by promoting firearm safety at every opportunity.
    The truth is ALL Accidents are Preventable, every accident we prevent gives the anti-gunners one less reason to assail our rights.
    The death rate from motor vehicle accidents is huge, even with driver certification and licensing. How bad would it be if licensing wasn’t a prerequisite to drive, because that is the position we as shooters, are in now. Again, I’m opposed to any infringement of my rights, but I think mandatory firearms certification beats hell out of looking at the muzzle of a loaded weapon in the hands of an untrained individual.

Boolit Master
    I do not know how to accomplish it but the wave of newbies need serious safety training.

Years ago, the parents taught safety to the youngsters. As time wore on the at home training became lower quality.

The newbies have zilch for knowledge and we, the general shooting public will be the loser for it if left uncorrected.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I do not know how to accomplish it but the wave of newbies need serious safety training.

Years ago, the parents taught safety to the youngsters. As time wore on the at home training became lower quality.

The newbies have zilch for knowledge and we, the general shooting public will be the loser for it if left uncorrected.

Three44s
    We'll get there.
    It seems a bit daunting right now but it's going be ok in the end.

Boolit Buddy
    I belong to a small indoor pistol range. On a former air force base, block building, 50' long. Probably 12 lanes. Heated, cooled and well ventilated. Limit of 225 members I believe. Everyone has to be recommended by someone, take a Saturday morning firearm handling session which is pass/fail and they do fail people. Everything is on video from the time you enter the door. Range officers review the video and send letters for violations. I have never received on but have heard people complain about getting them.

Formerly we could bring a guest and both could shoot. No more, now we can shoot and if our guest shoots we have to be within arms length of them which is a good idea I guess. But when a friend comes with me who grew up shooting has to just watch me, it doesn't make sense when we are the only ones there.

I am one who thinks having all the new gun owners come on board is a good long term thing. There will be growing pains like anything else, but it provides us more numbers in the shooting and pro 2A fraternity.

All that said, we have two range clean up days a year and I am amazed at how many bullet marks there are on the ceiling, hanging down boards, and walls. It truly does bring to life that some people can't hit the broad side of a barn.

I am a teacher by trade so I am an advocate for teaching these young and old people how to shoot and how to do it safely. Experienced people owe them and I feel are responsible for that. I know that is not a popular stance. But we are talking about life and death here.

I worked as an environmental regulator for 32 years and would preach to the industry that we regulated that if they don’t police their own and insure their employees were well trained then the politicians would force regulations on them. I think it is the same with all our new gun owners. The manufacturers, the dealers and the ranges should do everything possible to ensure that these people know the Ten Commandments of safe firearms use and ownership.

Boolit Master
    I would like to see all ranges require a safety course before allowing a person to shoot at their range. I don't like the govt requiring anyone to have a safety card to buy a gun.

I have my own range at home and won't allow anyone I don't know to be a safe gun handler to shoot at my range. I will teach anyone that needs training to come to my range for a safety course.

I was an RO for the DOC in Alaska for several years and part of my job was recertifying C.O.s every year.
    Last edited by rbuck351; 01-24-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Boolit Master

A range specific safety course would be a start, as long as it was thorough. But I wouldn’t accept it at a different range unless I knew the instructor.
    Around here the ranges charge $15 to $20 / hour for one shooter in a lane with added fees for additional shooters. By the time the range pays two RSOs, two counter staff, utilities, equipment parts & upkeep, lease etc. there isn’t much left over for profit. In that environment owners sometimes accept shooters of questionable skill levels to generate profits. No guarantee a range safety class wouldn’t be graded on a curve too. That kind of mindset would lead me to question a certification from another range.
    With a certification from a recognized training institute (NRA or other) I can be reasonably confident the shooter received the proscribed training. I know that this process would put a damper on new shooter enthusiasm but if you let someone with no knowledge shoot today chances are they won’t know anymore the next time they hit the range. That’s why i recommend a mandatory ‘pre-purchase’ certification and ties in with our 3 day background check wait. They can buy the firearm and get the training while they wait.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12