Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepare for your range experience before you go!

Prepare for your range experience before you go!

Our shooting club has just surpassed one thousand members. While it is encouraging to see the club grow with new members and families, I see an alarming trend. More and more members are NOT preparing their equipment, watching the conduct of their children and NOT following safe firearm practices. I have given my last pair of ear plugs to individuals coming to the firing range without ear protection. I raised two daughters, that craved pretty dresses and boyfriends before going with Dad to the range. I will help instruct new shooters, if asked, but will not continue to watch someone's children running on the range behind me as I touch off a shot, politely telling clueless parents this is not permitted. Staplers, need staples and targets need attending BEFORE you get to the range. Today, an old geezer decided he wanted to go home, telling no one, he walked out passed the firing line twenty feet(!) before I could stop him as everyone was firing their weapons. We have a light flashing system. He was indignant that I stopped him. I just hope the next batch of shooters read the rules before coming to shoot with me, AND WATCH WHERE YOU POINT THE MUZZLE OF THAT GUN!
    If you don't have AMMUNITION, your rifle is a CLUB.

Boolit Master
    When I started shooting ,there was zero tolerance for anyone breaking the range rules.......shooters were shown the gate for even touching a gun or ammo in a ceasefire/target check period.......Now ,there are teens who dont even bother listening to the range officers (yep ,range now needs three ROs to keep an eye on all the goings on)......I was told at a comittee meeting ......"typically ,family with parents ,couple of teens spends $250 in one four hour visit.....end of story."

Whew. Our rangemaster here is a old Army Viet Nam vet that has zero tolerance for safety violations.

Depending on what it is, after the 2nd warning, and sometimes instantly, you're gone- never to be allowed back.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I predicted this! There is going to be a serious injury or death and the Left is going to use this to demean our hobby!

Soooo many noobs with guns and no upbringing with firearms!

Glad I shoot on my own property with no “competition” except for invited ones!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I predicted this! There is going to be a serious injury or death and the Left is going to use this to demean our hobby!

Soooo many noobs with guns and no upbringing with firearms!

Glad I shoot on my own property with no “competition” except for invited ones!

Three44s
    This is exactly why we need to be patient and help others learn by teaching. All of us were there once. I know I spend quite a bit of time at the range helping others, teaching the rules, etc. It just be your own life you save by teaching safety!

And yeah, I’m guilty of heading to the range and not realizing I was out of staples... Now I have a box of 1000 in the range bag!!

Boolit Master
    As an instructor, I have been contacted by many, many new shooters lately.
    We MUST,, as responsible gun owners do all we can to educate AND enforce SAFETY upon new folks. Prove the anti's wrong,, that we are not knuckle dragging neanderthals.

Boolit Master
    One time ,they had an open day,and hundreds turned up cause free ammo was offered to tryout....Range officers had no hope of keeping tabs on everyone ,and some character decided to hide behind the 100 yd mound ,while shooting was going on......he had enough sense not to stick his head up ,and next cease fire ,I was first out heading for 200,and I see this guy crouched behind the 100.......went over ,and he didnt talk English,and seems a package tour group had dropped him off with a couple of others who wanted to have a free shoot....No interpreter ,no guide ,just dropped at the range ,picked up again later ......at least they had earplugs.

Boolit Master
    My experience is no one under sixty seems to think rules apply to them ,or that anyone should be telling them what to do ,or that they should listen to what they are told by a person in authority.......something Ive heard dozens of time "You arent the boss of me".

Boolit Buddy
    I'm at the point where I nearly always shoot alone. Once in a rare while, I'll go with a friend, but generally I'll only go to the range in off hours and if someone shows up while I'm there, I pack my stuff and head home. Oh, and I never, ever, shoot at public ranges anymore.

Don't have any tolerance for noob shenanigans, unsafe idiots, Chatty Kathys, or nosy boomers and their unsolicited advice.

Yeah, I know I'm not being a good ambassador for our sport/hobby/lifestyle. I just can't take getting muzzled by some doofus that wants to argue when you correct them. Or being down range checking targets with a "cold" line only to look back to see some fool behind his rifle. Or having to sit through some old guy droning on about some BS while my daylight burns away. I just can't...Not anymore.

Banned

This seems really odd to me, as I shoot on state owned gun ranges. There are no RO's and we all work together to keep things safe. All of the newbies I have taken are versed on safety and discipline to the point some get bored and I tell them, if you can't pay attention to and practice the safety and discipline you can't go with me! That usually gets their attention and they end up having a great time.
    We all announce when we're shooting and when we need to check our targets. I haven't seen any newbies come without a veteran shooter.

Boolit Master
    We had a member bring a guest and his 10 year old son. Under the rules the members are responsible for their guests. Well dad let the kid run amok and the kid was touching other folks guns and tearing up targets that had been brought back by members. The ro whom I know well put a screaming halt to that. Suspended the member and told him never to bring that dad and kid back again. We stopped at 850 members and there is a waiting list. And you have to pass a background check. It costs me $100 to renew my membership and have been a member for 25 years. But you see people making the same stupid mistakes like handling firearms during a cease fire. Frank

Boolit Master

Went to a Big Public Range on a Sat. Was on the bench shooting my Mini-14, 10rd mag. Bolt locked back, I went looking for my brass, It was GONE !!!!
    Looked up and down the line, there was a kid about 10yrs old putting every case that hit the deck into a plastic bucket. I spoke to him and he took off down the line to hide behind his father. By this time there were 4-5 shooters standing with me, looking for their brass. He had his kid collecting the brass to sell for scrap. The father was shooting a SKS with steel cased ammo.
    We got our brass back and he was kicked off the range, never to return.
    But what kind of story will he tell his friends ?
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    But what kind of story will he tell his friends ?
    On things like that, I'm reminded of one of my favorite songs, one that came along in the 1840's,
    it went away with slavery in the US, then made a come back in the 1940's, and since then,
    has stood the test of time.
    Its called "Jimmy Crack Corn".

I especially like that part, and often say it myself--- where it goes, "I don't care".
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-22-2021 at 03:34 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Last trip to the range there were new shooters on either side of me. One had an instructor the other was with an experienced shooter. They didn't have all the shooting etiquette down but were paying attention and no problem.

We need to welcome new shooters and show them the ropes. The idiots I've seen at the range were not new to shooting, they just never learned a thing.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus

It's very rare for me to be at the range when others are there, I do go on weekday mornings or early afternoons, but our range doesn't get much use at any time, especially now, with empty ammo shelves and high ammo prices when you can find it. Also, our range is kind of remote, a few miles of gravel to get to it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

We’re pretty lucky! Though small, with only 2 backstops dedicated to 22’s and handguns, and 100 and 300 yard set-ups for rifle....we only have 2 (wife and I) members Though, we sometimes have guests at our discretion! Heck, if we don’t have wind....I may walk out today to do a little shooting! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master
    our range has an introduction class before let on range.6 month probation .minor errors warning ,repeat the error 6 week ban .dangerous behaviour banned and reported to police , never had to invoke that last one thank god.

Boolit Master
    I was at the range last week at our local club. There was a man woman and thier son about 10yrs old. We had been down range once together as a group. I had said range cold and then hot when we were back and ready to shoot.

I was sighting in a rifle and really not paying attention to them. I had been messing with my gun for a couple minutes. I look up and they are down range without saying an word or even caring that I'm handling my gun.

Boolit Buddy
    When our daughter was around 12 she went to a gun show with me. "Bubba" was checking out a revolver and wasn't watching where he was pointing it. Brandy taps him on the arm and said "Stop pointing the gun at people" That got his attention he turned red put the gun down and apologized to her, everyone else had a good laugh. Now Brandy's son is 16 and shoots with us and our club. If it's just the family then we designate him as the RO. He takes the job very seriously
    Good training always helps.

Boolit Master

Since 1991 , we require a Range Orientation before new member can access Ranges . All take a test and sign an agreement to comply with rules.
    With close to 500 members and their families, we have few incidents, but still have the 1% that do not think rules include them. Actually more incidents involve guests, but the member is held reponsinble. Been 2 years since the Safety Committee had to boot anybody. We have RSO's at events, but so far members can come and go and shoot w/o RSO's during non-event hours . We do have keycard access, so if we always know who is there and can usually track down any reported stupidity. And we now have cameras scattered about . PITA but effective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast