WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Help with IDing this lever gun

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Help with IDing this lever gun

I was shown these photos today and sounds like I will be able to buy it for a $150 or so. The hubby passed away and the widow has been pawning off 4 pages of firearms for pennies on the dollar. There were 6 1917 S&W 45 acp pistols on the list for $150 to $250 each! A 7.5" ruger blackhawk for $250, a bunch of lee Enfields ( one with grenade launching brass wrap) all for $150, a bunch of 1891 Argentineraisers for $150, and some Winchester 94's for $150. The lost goes on and on. My buddy has zero knowledge of what what and bought a $150 worth of ammo and a 1972 Winchester 94 for $150 that looks like new. He is trying to get it set up for me to go tomorrow. I was thinking this rifle reminds me of a Winchester 1973 that I have a chance to buy. Apparently there are tons of bullets and primers as well. I plan on buying up what ever primers are there along with the $150 brass wrapped enfiled....if it's still there. So what make and model is this?
    Someone already bought up all the pistols I found out today as well along with a domascus SxS.

I'm going to guess the hammer's tip is broken off on this rifle?

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-21-2021 at 07:12 PM.

Banned
    Looks like a Winchester 1873, but whatever is attached to the side plate looks real funky.

I’m pretty positive my buddy told me it’s a Winchester. I figured it wasn’t because it’s missing the bottom tube.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    He does one get in touch with this woman?
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    He does one get in touch with this woman?
    ....my so called buddy won’t even tell me where she lives or who she is. Apparently she wants it all gone and sold off in the next couple of days. If there is anything worth buying left I will end up buying everything she has and reselling what I don’t want.

Boolit Bub
    I'd feel bad about buying from her at such obviously low prices.

Looks like a Winchester 73 that's had the side plate riveted in place. Probably stripped the screw and did a middle of nowhere repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I’m pretty positive my buddy told me it’s a Winchester. I figured it wasn’t because it’s missing the bottom tube.
    It's not missing the bottom tube, it's "inside" the fore end stock. 38-40 and 44-40 are "short" rounds and don't need a ton of space...
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

- 1873 Winchester.
    - broken hammer, missing dust cover assembly, missing crescent butt plate, riveted-on side plates, riveted action screw replacement, missing rear sight elevator, rough overall condition.
    - I wonder what the bore looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Cowboy View Post
    - broken hammer, missing dust cover assembly, missing crescent butt plate, riveted-on side plates, riveted action screw replacement, missing rear sight elevator, rough overall condition. A beater. I wonder what the bore looks like?
    Thought the same thing. To me it was like finding a Shelby gt500 rotted to the frame. If I do buy it it will be the only 1873 I probably will ever own anyways as I’d never spend thousands on a nice one. I’m more interested to see what they have for primers, powder, and bullets. Apparently she was selling boxes of reloaded ammo for $5 a box. Before I could tell my buddy to shoot someone else’s reloads he bought a $150 in 30-06 and 30-30 reloaded ammo. Apparently there is a lot of reloaded 303 British there as well.

If the bore is okay and the head space isn't too bad (It is a toggle link rifle) then you might be able to rebuild it with Uberti replacement parts, or scavenged original parts.

I wonder though if the ancient bubba riveted pins were because the screws were lost or because the threads were stripped out? If the holes are stripped, I suppose that they could be enlarged a bit and re-threaded, and then new larger screws could be made.

Still, it's a lot of work. You might take a look at the Miroku Winchester 1873 base models. There are carbines and short rifles out there with plain walnut stocks that are very nice that don't cost as much as the fancy models. I bought a short rifle in .44-40 which differs externally from the original only in having a safety device concealed inside the breech pin (firing pin extension) that is hardly noticeable. Same half-cock as the original and beautifully made.

Sounds like a honey hole. Surprised the first one in didn’t just make an offer for the whole load.

From what I gather the few that went through the guns had no idea of what they were looking at.

If it comes to pass in your favor, grab a lottery ticket on the way home.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Like Prairie Cowboy said & add that they also cut a notch out of the dustcover rail at some point, possibly for a sight although it still has one on the barrel.

I don't see a forward dovetail for the tube hanger but if the barrel is less than 24" I would think it would not be a "short/button magazine gun but yet another run in with a saw to make it shorter.

As with some of the things I've bought in the past, it either needs parts or is parts.
    Fun either way.

USMC 77, USRA 79

wow Trip.. want me to send a prayer up for ya???
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Got blown off to go look at the stuff till next week. I was told I could probably buy the gun for fifty bucks. For that I'll use it as a doorstop. Sounds like with the rail cut out and rivet in the side plate it's been pretty cobbled. I'm not holding my breath on anything and will see what is or isn't till I get there.