Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Forming .222 Rem cases from .223 cases

Forming .222 Rem cases from .223 cases

ISO info on what dies are needed & where to get them if this is possible. Any help, info or ideas would be most appreciated.

TIA
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy

It's been several years since I have done this. But I just used a RCBS 222 FL sizer die. Remove the expander and recapping rod. Lighty lubed the cast with the Hornady paste case lube ( forget the name) and slowly resize the case. Then roughly estimate and cut case down with a dremal cut off wheel. Install the expander rod , deburr the case and go another pass thru the die. Then finished up on the foster case trimmer.
    I have no other intermittent die set so this is how I had to have done it. Watch for wrinkles on the shoulder do to excessive lube. The light wrinkles will iron out when fire forming.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylongrifle32 View Post
    It's been several years since I have done this. But I just used a RCBS 222 FL sizer die. Remove the expander and recapping rod. Lighty lubed the cast with the Hornady paste case lube ( forget the name) and slowly resize the case. Then roughly estimate and cut case down with a dremal cut off wheel. Install the expander rod , deburr the case and go another pass thru the die. Then finished up on the foster case trimmer.
    I have no other intermittent die set so this is how I had to have done it. Watch for wrinkles on the shoulder do to excessive lube. The light wrinkles will iron out when fire forming.
    Thanks for your reply! Didn't you have to inside ream the case necks on the formed cases?
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

I use a 222 file trim die first. run them into the trim die and cut to length. depending on the brass you may or may not have to turn the necks, usually not.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

I use once fired cases and anneal the necks first, then run them through a 222 FL die and trim to length with a Lee case trimmer mounted in a hand drill.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy

I was firing them in a T/C Contender with out neck turning. I also was only using Commercial brass Remington and Winchester. Mil spec brass my be a different animal.

Boolit Buddy
    Buy a set like this...

Attachment 275827

RCBS Set
    2 - Form dies
    1 - trim dies
    Shell hold extender

223 into 222

Banned

I tried this when I first got a .222. I figured it was enough trouble and has a high enough rejet rate that I'd rather just buy .222 brass, it really isn't that difficult to find, at least it wasn't then.

This is a good thing to know you can do just in case but isn't really worth it.

Boolit Master

I have formed a few hundred 222 from 223. One pass through the full length size die, trim and load. the necks were checked for clearance. No problems and very few (almost none) lost cases. Just make sure you wipe excess lube from shoulder to avoid wrinkles.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I use once fired cases and anneal the necks first, then run them through a 222 FL die and trim to length with a Lee case trimmer mounted in a hand drill.
    No problem; I use the same process with good results.

Boolit Master

Do it Different!

Use a File Trim die to size it. File off the brass that sticks out. Trim and Chamfer. Then FL size, trim, chamfer, load.

Boolit Master

I have sized many 223 rem cases to 222 using only the FL expander. Absolutely no issues using commercial brass. If I needed to purchase an expensive intermediate die, I would just buy 222 brass.

Boolit Master
    I fell into the RCBS form and trim set of dies along the way and they certainly work. Then I acquired a healthy batch of original .222 brass.

I am not planning on letting those dies go however because I am thrifty.

As many extoll throwing away any .223 brass away for the smallest of reasons, I see a chance to save a buggered or neck split case and come out a winner!

Around here, a 223 case falling out of favor can become a .222, then ultimately a 7.62 x 25 mm!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I formed enough straight sizing from 223 to have trouble with creases .

I used a 256 Win mag to push the shoulder it was better .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

I have also formed 17 rem fireball from 223.

Resize to 221 rem fireball
    turn necks to 0.011"
    resize in 17 fireball FL die.
    There are a couple of annealing steps involved, but less than a 10% loss (much less after I got the annealing steps in the right places).

Way I look at it. .223 has been free for me, so if there is a minor loss of cases, it is still a win, win in the long run.

Boolit Master

I do recommend annealing the case first.

and the advice previously given, see quoute, is good!

also remember that if you are re-forming military brass you will have to remove the crimp at the primer location
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Moderator Emeritus

I recommend reading through this short thread, and pay attention to GRUMPA's posts.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...orm-223-to-222
    He formed many cases for me, and others...and did a great Job of it...RIP GRUMPA
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

My experience was corrugated shoulders taking 5.56 to 222 Rem. Don’t think I ever did 223 to 222.