Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionPBcastcoWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Single Shot .22 "Revolver" - Remember it?

Boolit Master

Single Shot .22 "Revolver" - Remember it?

While reading the NRA article on the Ruger Hawkeye I was reminded of a gun my Dad had when I was a young teenager. It was a western style .22 rimfire "revolver" look-alike that IIRC had a tip-out "cylinder." Seems like the "cylinder" was flat sided. Does anyone remember what this might have been?
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master

I don't think it was the Savage 101. I'm pretty sure the cylinder was flat on the sides and I don't remember the barrel tipping with the cylinder.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Flat sided cylinder sounds like Ruger’s Hawkeye, but it was a .256 centerfire.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    While reading the NRA article on the Ruger Hawkeye I was reminded of a gun my Dad had when I was a young teenager. It was a western style .22 rimfire "revolver" look-alike that IIRC had a tip-out "cylinder." Seems like the "cylinder" was flat sided. Does anyone remember what this might have been?
    Kinda depends on how old (or young) you are. There was a kit gun called the JACO Western single shot .22LR pistol. Break action, but looked like a Western-style revolver from the side. I've got a pdf of the plans if anyone is interested. One of the copies says it's from 1972. It is flat-sided, unlike the Savage 101. I've never seen one IRL, just plans online.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    Flat sided cylinder sounds like Ruger’s Hawkeye, but it was a .256 centerfire.

It was definitely .22 rimfire. We pulled the bullets from .22 rimfire and pushed the cartridges into soap and paraffin (wax for those on the other side of the pond) for projectiles so we could shoot in the garage.

I could have been wrong about the western style design. I talked to Dad earlier today and he recalled borrowing a single shot pistol from someone about that time frame. It might have been a Colt Camp Perry Model. The flat sided cylinder looks like what I remember and it's .22 RF.

Smith and Wesson and I think H&R made one for competitions.