Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 200 gr 300 Blackout

Boolit Master

200 gr 300 Blackout

Has anyone tried to make a 200 gr projectile for 300 Blackout sub sonic from copper tubing?
    Bill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by just bill View Post
    Has anyone tried to make a 200 gr projectile for 300 Blackout sub sonic from copper tubing?
    Bill
    A 200gr 30 cal projectile from copper tubing is doable but it would be an awfully long bullet. I’m not sure it would work too well in a 300aac. Copper tubing has a much thicker wall than a standard j4 or Sierra jacket so the lead core diameter is a lot less. So to get the weight it would have to be fairly long. While this wouldn’t be a huge problem in say a 3006 or 300 mag the small aac cartridge could present a problem in my honest opinion.

Boolit Master

That is what I figured, however try to find a jacket to make a 200 is near impossible. I ran.out of suppliers and guesses a while ago. My RCE jackets almost get it, however they may reach with a round nose.

Looks like I have all.my memory chips inserted backwards. I found my prototype projectiles, with Richards 1.36 I have a comfortable 209 gr open tip with some room far a tad more lead. How they function for 300 BO I do not know. Looks my 300 BO AR pistol have some experimenting this spring.
    Last edited by just bill; 02-07-2021 at 02:26 PM.

I make a very thin pure copper jacket for subsonics 1.4 inches long and 0.015 thickness Only issue is I'm in Australia.. And postage rates are a killer

Boolit Buddy
    A buddy and I just found out that 200 grain long round nose would not fit in a p-mag. They kind of fit in a standard mag. Now we are trying a 10s die but leaving an 1/8" meplat. We think this will work but the jacket is 1.1" long and 165 grains. I can try a 1.3" tubing jacket .030 wall tonight and see if it can hold 200 grains.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Gew View Post
    A buddy and I just found out that 200 grain long round nose would not fit in a p-mag. They kind of fit in a standard mag. Now we are trying a 10s die but leaving an 1/8" meplat. We think this will work but the jacket is 1.1" long and 165 grains. I can try a 1.3" tubing jacket .030 wall tonight and see if it can hold 200 grains.
    That's very true. I have a 1E point form die and it won't chamber the way it is due to the reduced taper. The way I solved it was to get a dual diameter sizing die. The upper part of the bullet gets reduced to .300 which makes that portion bore riding. The back end is a full .308 which engages the rifling. It works very well.

Having said all that, getting these bullets to open is a challenge. I score the jackets and use a bullet ball to get them to open up. Core bonding also helps and a deep hollow point.
    Zbench