Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: what can I rebarrel a 22 highwall to?

Boolit Bub

what can I rebarrel a 22 highwall to?

I was looking at an original Winchester high wall chambered in 22, and would like to make it into a 45-70, or 6.5 Sweede. Is this project possible? I was also looking at low walls, and a high wall shot gun, what calibers are possible with these.
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

The original 22 High Wall actions were the same action that were used in the centerfire chamberings. You will need to replace or rework the breech block and extractor for 45-70 or 6.5 Swede.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-21-2021 at 01:40 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Man
    On the other hand, why not leave it as 22. If the bore is bad, a liner could be put in. Besides the breech block and extractor, a new for end might be required if re barreled with a heavier barrel.
    JKR

Boolit Master
    I have a project highwall sitting I've always wanted to refurbish and re-caliber. Mine is a 32WCF was always thinking of 32H&R Mag. only b.c. I have a RBH. Just like the 32's for a nice easy carry gun.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The original 22 High Wall actions were the same action that were used in the centerfire chamberings. You will need to replace or rework the breech block and extractor for 45-70 or 6.5 Swede.

Not quite true. There were/are small and large shank thread sizes. Usually the smaller barrels, the #1&2 were small shank. I'm not sure that would work in 45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by single shot jimmy View Post
    Not quite true. There were/are small and large shank thread sizes. Usually the smaller barrels, the #1&2 were small shank. I'm not sure that would work in 45-70.
    It's still the same action but you are correct that they used two shank sizes. The small is .825" and the large is .935". Both are 16 pitch. I've only seen one small shank 1885 and that was opened up to large shank. I would not do either a 45-70, or 6.5 Sweede in a small shank.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by single shot jimmy View Post
    There were/are small and large shank thread sizes. Usually the smaller barrels, the #1&2 were small shank. I'm not sure that would work in 45-70.
    This is correct. There are exceptions but overwhelmingly this is the rule.

Some small shank 45-70's have been made (after market), both high-wall and on low-wall actions, and they work out fine using 4140 steel and black powder. I know of no study that supports either way the use of high pressure loads in a rifle set up like this and I would avoid doing it.
    Chill Wills