Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a 32 or 36 cal flintlock...

Boolit Buddy

Recommend a 32 or 36 cal flintlock...

I’m looking to get into flintlocks. I’m wanting recommendations for a good starter rifle in 32 or 36 cal. Will be used to woods bumming and backyard targets. Occasionally small game but usually targets of opportunity.

Thanks
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

32 cal squril gun. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    What kind? Where did you find it?

Get your wallet warmed up, front stuffers aint cheap!

If you've never loaded a smallbore BP rifle, you might want to test your dexterity on .32 and.36 cal holes drilled into a wooden test block.

I say this because I found a .36cal much easier to load than a .32cal (fat fingers, not enough booze )

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Last edited by Caswell Ranch; 01-21-2021 at 01:07 AM.

Mines a percussion capand I got it off of this site.

I got it for my son who is small in stature.

But I love shooting it.

So does my wife.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pedersoli makes a nice little full stock flint rifle, I think in either caliber.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok thanks for the links.
    Also the Dixie cub in 32 or 36 looks nice, they are Pedersoli.
    Also the Sitting Fox “Poor Boy” squirrel rifle looks slick, but not sure I want to tackle a kit...
    http://sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/k-46/
    Last edited by Wheelgun; 01-20-2021 at 10:52 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The links I posted above (Dixie) the Pedersoli's are on sale, not much of a sale but a sale and they have them. I have the Pedersoli Kentucky, it's a nice gun.

Banned

Be advised that there is more to a Good flint lock than a Good percussion lock. Cheap flint locks can have issues due to their build geometry and components. The glut of offshore trad muzzleloaders these dayze are in the .50 and .54 bore sizes, and the .32 to .45 sizes are typically coming from Pedersoli and they ain't cheap. If I wanted a Good .32 to .40 flintlock rifle I'd look into a used (or new) one built onshore.

That said, for easy recoil plinking around on a budget there's much good to be said about .50 bore flintlock rifle as you get to build each "round", which means loading down with 30 grains instead of 70 grains of real black powder.

One thing to be aware about all the offshore guns is that they all use a "patent" breech plug instead of a classic flat faced breech plug. This means that there is a restricted ante-chamber behind the real chamber, and it will require special considerations for both cleaning and fouling control.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    Be advised that there is more to a Good flint lock than a Good percussion lock. Cheap flint locks can have issues due to their build geometry and components. The glut of offshore trad muzzleloaders these dayze are in the .50 and .54 bore sizes, and the .32 to .45 sizes are typically coming from Pedersoli and they ain't cheap. If I wanted a Good .32 to .40 flintlock rifle I'd look into a used (or new) one built onshore.

That said, for easy recoil plinking around on a budget there's much good to be said about .50 bore flintlock rifle as you get to build each "round", which means loading down with 30 grains instead of 70 grains of real black powder.

One thing to be aware about all the offshore guns is that they all use a "patent" breech plug instead of a classic flat faced breech plug. This means that there is a restricted ante-chamber behind the real chamber, and it will require special considerations for both cleaning and fouling control.

That's good to know. What a dumb way to build a rifle!

Banned

The patent breech was said to achieve faster ignition. Not.

Boolit Buddy
    look up Jim Kibler, makes beautiful easy to build kit , not cheep but you get more than you pay for. when buying a flintlock the lock is very important, poor lock equals unhappy shooter.

Boolit Buddy

Banned

Most offshore flinters can be made much better with an L&R RPL lock replacement (typically $175).

Boolit Buddy
    Patent breech has been around a very long time (end of 1700's), knowing that's the way your gun is built is important so you can clean it properly , I use a .22 mop on the end of cleaning rod to get in, all has been well for years, as important if not more so, frizzen is correct hardness, flints are fit correctly, I changed the flash hole liner for the Allen wrench type from RMC, use real black and the correct amount for the pan. Patent breech was also done for ease of manufacture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	patentbr.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	275794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nockbreech.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	275795

P.S. the ignition speed of my Pedersoli Flint Kentucky is as fast as a percussion gun and as fast as my Kibler. Touch hole liner, https://rmcoxyoke.com/product/rmc-fl...-replacements/
    Last edited by Caswell Ranch; 01-21-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Banned

Personally, the patent breech (in all its iterations) is no better at ignition than a classic flat breech, and it's a pain in the butt to administer for fouling control.

I recommend replacing any touch hole liner with a Chambers White Lightning.

Boolit Buddy
    The following link ($4 and change ones) really help with cleaning, they all come with a clear tube to drop in a bucket of warm water.
    For me cleaning and fouling has not been a problem, I normally shoot around 50 shots on a range session with the flint, I swab the bore about every 5th shot, I shoot the Pedersoli every week and have done so for 8 years.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/578/1

P.S. this reply is not a come back to rfd just a general reply.
    Last edited by Caswell Ranch; 01-21-2021 at 11:47 AM. Reason: P.S.

Banned

There is no problem with cleaning patent breeches other than having the right tool and taking more time than cleaning a classic flat breech gun.

There can/might be a problem during shooting, particularly at a match, with fouling control and patent breeches.

As to final cleaning, to each their own - lots will depend on what happens to the gun immediately after the last shot of the day is taken.

Personally, I see no need for gadgets or warm/hot/soapy/whatever water or any manner of "cleaning" concoctions. Most of that crap is just that; crap that can/might cause other problems and issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast