RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: IMR Blue

Boolit Buddy

IMR Blue

I found a honey hole of powder at an out of the way gun shop. They had 20 lbs of IMR Blue in 1lb jugs. Some quick research indicated it's similar to Blue Dot. I pickup up two pounds since powder is getting hard to find.

Has anyone done any load development in 38/357 or 44 special?

Thanks,
    Stephen

Boolit Buddy
    Here's the plan. I use to load 357 mag with Hercules Blue Dot at 11 grains under a 158g jacket bullet. I considered that max back in the day. For the IMR Blue here's the plan.

10 rounds at 9.0g
    10 rounds at 9.5g
    10 rounds at 10g
    10 rounds at 10.5g
    5 rounds at 10.7g
    5 rounds at 11g

Bullet used will be a 158g XTP with new Armscor 357 brass and WSP match primers. I will chrono everything and measure case head's before and after for everything. I don't try and do accuracy testing when using the chronograph so whatever load has the lowest ES will then be tested for accuracy on another range trip. Testing will happen early next week as this weekend is booked. Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Later,
    Stephen

Boolit Buddy
    wonderful !! i to just purchased a can because it was cheaper than what i went in the store for...and i will pull up a chair waiting to see what results you get. i am delighted someone is taking the time to do a test on it. thanks so much.

Boolit Master
    have yet to try the blue, red, green or target but load data is online at the imr web site, start low and work up.
    hopefully it is better than blue dot. I remember several years ago Alliant put out some kind of warning about using it in 357 mag loads with 125 grain bullets and not to use it at all in 41 mag. that put an end to me using any more blue dot in pistol calibers and I use it only in 12 gauge now.

Boolit Buddy
    From past experience Alliant Blue Dot would go from safe full power to over pressure with very small charge weight changes. I gave up using it for full power loads and went to 2400/H110. I always liked Blue Dot because it burned clean, at least in my experience. I use it now days for mid range plinker loads and some reduced power rifle loads. I think the big problem Alliant faced was changes in the chemistry over time due to updates in the manufacturing process. (This is my theory.) Old Blue Dot was far more forgiving than "new" Blue Dot. I have an old Speer manual that lists 11g behind a 158g Jword bullet as starting in 357 with 13g as a max. The most recent Speer I have lists 10.9g as max behind a 158g slug. So something over the years changed dramatically.

The IMR Blue looks exactly like the Alliant version. Confusing the two would be very easy even for an experienced loader. If I end up liking the IMR version that's the only one I'll stock from here on out.

Later,
    Stephen

Boolit Master
    All good to know about Blue Dot and newer powders.

Boolit Buddy

IMR would discontinue the stuff, right after I bought 8 lbs. In my .30-06, with 170 grain cast bullets (the old Lyman 311413 and the Accurate 31-173B) it takes 13.5 grains to burn cleanly and obturate the case neck. Primers start to flatten at 15.5 grains, but the load is a tack driver.

Boolit Buddy
    bill*b , do you use gas checks ? and how fast are you pushing it ? thanks

Boolit Buddy

The bullets were gas checked. The only loads I have chrono graphed were the 170 grain 31-173B over equal volumes (Little Dandy #20 rotor) of Blue Dot and IMR Blue powder - by weight, 14.0 grains Blue Dot, and 14.2 grains IMR Blue. Out of my 24" barrel, 1559 fps average with Blue Dot, and 1581 fps with IMR Blue.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, I'm going to try that load.