Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: .44 WCF Marlin

Boolit Master

.44 WCF Marlin

I got to shoot a Marlin 94 in .44-40 made in the 1980"s. Had never seen one in person and my brother was at a gun show and it was on a table there. He almost broke his arm reaching for his billfold as the .44-40 is his love. It came with the box and all papers in the box. Didn't look like it had ever been shot tell last week end. We put about 200 rounds through it of mixed loads and not one problem. Thinking about trading my first born for it but so far he has said NO.

Maybe you could 'make him a deal he couldn't refuse' like the Godfather used to do.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My Marlin 1894S is from the 1993 production run made for Jerry's Sport Shops in PA. Serial number prefix of these guns is 4440. These guns are Microgroove, but shoot extremely well with .430" diameter bullets and full charge loads. My Bullseye load is a full grain too hot for Winchester 1873s or original Colt SAs, but is fine in the Marlins and Rugers. Target below is a ten-shot, 50-yard group fired off sandbags with the factory iron sights.

Attachment 275734Attachment 275735Attachment 275736
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    I believe Numrich still has some of the remaining .44-40 Marlin 1894 barrels. If you could find a .44 mag 1894 beater you might put one together.

Boolit Buddy
    I recently found a Marlin 94 at my LGS . Interestingly enough it's one of the very first ones ever made . It has a 3 digit serial # , 5XX . The barrel is " perfect " . It slugs .426 , it will chamber nicely a cast bullet sized .427 in a loaded round , but no larger . Of course it has the octagon barrel with the silver blade front sight . The wood / metal is in real nice condition as well . It's a very very accurate shooter . I just got lucky when I stumbled onto this one . Regards Paul

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy4evr View Post
    I recently found a Marlin 94 at my LGS . Interestingly enough it's one of the very first ones ever made . It has a 3 digit serial # , 5XX . The barrel is " perfect " . It slugs .426 , it will chamber nicely a cast bullet sized .427 in a loaded round , but no larger . Of course it has the octagon barrel with the silver blade front sight . The wood / metal is in real nice condition as well . It's a very very accurate shooter . I just got lucky when I stumbled onto this one . Regards Paul
    Good snag. You must be livin right........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master
    I can run a .430" boolit in my Marlin '89

Boolit Master
    The ser.# starts 4440 so must be from the run Outpost75 talked about. We shot 777, 38 gr FFFg Goex and smokeless Marlin only loads. It will shoot. Playing, shoting off handed at 115 yards would ring a 15x15 steel plate all day, any load we had.