Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: 12ga Tri-Ball type loads for under 3"

Boolit Master

12ga Tri-Ball type loads for under 3"

Is there any good loads for the shotguns that have shorter chambers than 3". I have several shells loaded with #4 shot & 3 0000 buck for in-house use but would like something like the Tri-Ball for chance meeting of a black bear up close and hostile when walking in the woods. I load buck and ball right now but think a Tai-Ball type load would work better. Am talking to SWMBO about a Mossburg 935 Mag but she wants a gun gone before a new one comes in.

Banned
    Warren, we are lucky enough to have the Original TriBall post by Sir James, why are you not posting in there?

Boolit Master
    I didn't want to hyjack thread

Boolit Grand Master

I doubt you will get 3 balls in a 2 3/4" hull. 2 balls yes and I've done it. I used CSD wads and had rather significant wad failure. James Gates posted that the Precision Reloading TUPRW123 (IIRC) was the only wad that would stand up to Tri-Ball loads so I am guessing similar applies to a 2 ball load though my attempt wasn't loaded terribly hot. I do intend to try again.

Deer Assassin on Shotgunworld posted a 2 ball load using 0.690" balls but again in 3" hulls. I wanted a 2 ball load for bear protection if I could get the 2 balls to group reasonably to 35 yards or so. Mostly I wanted a load that wasn't as punishing as a Tri-Ball load... that's on the gun end. I suppose a guy could download the Tri-Ball recipe a bit to reduce recoil but 2 0.600" balls at higher velocity should be pretty effective at close range.

Seems to me Taofledrmaus has a video of a 2 ball load in 2 3/4" hull. I'll have to check that and see what details they have.

I will be following to see what responses you get because I am interested too!

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

I have a hard time believing you will find anything superior to your 0000 buck loads for black bear. Trying stuff for fun is worth it though. Normally we think of buckshot inline. Either they are stacked in layers, or in the case of tri-ball which is more of multiple slugs, they are all bore diameter with the wad, stacked on each other. They don't have to be perfect though. One just for fun load I tried in 10 gauge was five .457" balls as a buckshot. They don't stack, but it worked. You could probably get three .457" balls in a 2 3/4" 12 gauge. The payload would be around 7/8 oz to 1 oz.