MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Accurate Mold for the 7.5x55

Boolit Bub

Accurate Mold for the 7.5x55

I'm looking at the Accurate Mold web site and see that Tom makes a 185 grain bullet specifically for the K31 7.5x55.

I plan on ordering one this morning, just wondering if anyone else has this mold. My K31 has a very short throat, when I load 150 gr Hornady FMJ-BT bullets I have to seat the bullet slightly beyond the cannelure, (cannelure not visable on loaded rounds). I allow for .050" bullet jump.

Boolit Buddy

I am in the same boat as you. Looking for a K31 specific mold. I'm considering the NOE and the Accurate Mold versions. I've tried to get samples from these to try before buying. And had zero response.

Please let us know how they work.

Boolit Bub
    OK! Just ordered it . . . I have a couple of Accurate molds, they are a thing of beauty. There's a five week turnaround time so I'm hoping to get it near the end of February. I have some 2400 so I'll try that. Then I'll hopefully have a .jpg to go along with my range report.

gishooter, At one time I owned 2 K-31's, both with short throats. I found several CB designs worked rather well with them, e.g. Ly. #311466 and Saeco #315. However, Lee #C-309-180R and Ly. #311291 were especially accurate IF I reduced their noses. I.e., you need to have a machinist make you a nose reducing die for your rifle (careful measurement is essential here) so you can seat either one a bit longer. I only mention this as a possibility because those two designs are pretty common and can be found used on your favorite auction site. Btw, the Saeco #315 is already tapered and presents no problem as does the original, but heavier Ly. #311644.

Boolit Master

PM sent.

Boolit Buddy

Maven, that is interesting. Trying to visualize how it works. Does it shave the lead off? Do you have a picture of a nose reducing die?

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 molds from Accurate. Pretty sure they both arrived well ahead of estimated delivery date. Hope you are that lucky... that’s the one thing I hate about ordering online, I want my stuff NOW, dagnabbit!

gishooter, It shaved no lead, but you had to use bullet lube on the nose and the front driving band else the CB would stick in the die. It looked like a Lyman H & I die, but with no holes for bullet lube. By reducing the bullet nose to fit my rifles, I was able to seat the Lyman & Lee CB's about 1/8" longer and with excellent accuracy. However, neither Ly. #311644 nor Saeco #315 required such treatment as both were tapered by design. The lighter Ly. #311466 (Loverin) didn't require its short nose to be reduced either. Btw, the fellow who made mine passed away some years ago.

Boolit Buddy

Maven,
    Curious where the displaced lead goes. I would think it slightly lengthens the OAL of the projectile.
    I have a 311291 and 311299 mold that works well in my .308 Winchester and .30-06 rifles. Might be worth making a die.
    I am a school trained machinist and have a nice shop. All professional grade brands. Surface grinder, couple milling machines, couple lathes, and all the assorted accessories and tooling. Plus support equipment. No heat treat oven though. So no air hardening tool steel jobs. Just water and oil hardening steel done in house.
    If I had a diagram or pictures, should be simple to replicate. Or I could make a screw in nose sizing die and a ram to fit a reloading press. Thoughts?

gishooter, I never measured the before-after dimension of a nose reduced CB, but the reduction couldn't have been more than .002" since the Lee and Lyman CB's noses were (from memory) .300", meaning they shot poorly in my .30-06, but quite well in my K-31's. Slightly reducing the nose helped them shoot better. Btw, I sold that die and the rifles about 10 yrs. ago, so I can't tell you much more about dimensions. Lastly, my lube sizer mounted die gave repeatable results, but I think a press mounted one would work just as well.

I have the NOE mold. it works vdry good..Also have used it in other rifles. mine has the plane base and the GC base. Either one works good in about anything i put it in.
    i also have 3 cases of the GP11 to use.

Boolit Bub
    My K31 likes a mid range charge of IMR 4064 behind a Hornady 150 grain FMJ-BT, but I'm running low on these and all the companies like Alliant, CCI, Hornady, etc. are saying components will be available at some point in the future. Yeah, but approximately when? Answer: "we can't say". Manufacturing capacity was never increased to accommodate the new number of gun owners. Probably a corporate decision. That's why I'm adding to my collection of Accurate molds. I always get iron molds.

Boolit Bub
    I have 3 of his molds, always blown away by the quality. I use a scientific hot plate to preheat mine. When my RCBS pot dies I will get a cheaper pot and control it with a controller, the kind that was advertised on this web site.

Boolit Grand Master

NOE made (makes?) a nose reducing die. I know because I have one.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!