Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions on the lee carbide factory crimp die and 9mm

Boolit Master
    If you want a good number to put on this pushing down thing to test for cast boolits setting back in 9mm or any caliber, use 50# pressure. Set boolit down on electronic scale or bathroom scale and push to 50# very easy. Most time will need some thing to set on top of primer end to get good purchase as 50# is quite a lot of pressure.

Be sure to measure before and after this operation.

After just ironing out case flare on some I was testing, could put 75# and couldn’t find any that would push back into case. Lee FCD.

I have to ask why did you add the step of the Lee Crimp? Seems to me that the regular process of load, seat, and light taper crimp to remove the bell you created would be enough with 9mm.

Were you having problems?

Boolit Master
    Works with different case lengths. Lee FCD just works just don’t go crazy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by gifbohane View Post
    I have to ask why did you add the step of the Lee Crimp? Seems to me that the regular process of load, seat, and light taper crimp to remove the bell you created would be enough with 9mm.

Were you having problems?
    I use it in the fourth hole of my turret press. I like to seat and crimp in separate steps. I get more consistent seating depth and cleaner crimp this way.
    I do the same for all my handgun cartridges whether taper crimp or roll crimp.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I am another that uses the carbide factory crimp die on every 9mm I load with .356 and .357 bullets as do the guys I shoot with I have other 9mm die sets but prefer the Lee .
    It won't ever size those down in the case but a .358" oh yeah, gonna work on that one some, it won't be .358" afterwards.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Last month I started taper crimping 45acp with a Lee press.
    So far nobody mentioned:
    You have to trim the brass!
    A thousandth is a thousandth is a thousandth!
    It's a game of inches...little bitty tiny inches...
    This . is huge!

Boolit Buddy
    I started using the fcd again after adding more flare. A little more mouth expansion and I find that the sizing ring does little to nothing when seating a .358 boolit in the 9mm.

Boolit Grand Master

Never found a need to use a .358 bullet in any 9mm P firearm which included milsurp handguns and sub guns along with many commercial guns. I've used .356 sized cast since I started loading 358402s in a Browning HP and a S&W M39 back in '70. Never had any leading or tumbling bullets either. Used javelina or other NRA 50/50 lube on the mostly cast of COWW bullets of numerous different bullet designs since. I almost exclusively us the Lee TC 120 bullet now.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12