WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sources of Felt?

Question Sources of Felt?

I'm looking to start making my own felt wads for a .44 revolver. I've seen a few DIY tutorials on doing so, but they all seem to list Duro-Felt as their felt source. Is there somewhere else that I can find suitable felt for wads? Can I use felt found at a local craft shop? What's the difference?

Banned
    I go to goodwill and buy wool felt hats

Boolit Grand Master

Why would you not want to use durofelt? It is a very nice family that runs that place. Find the 1/8" hard felt (for wads) in the clearance section. You get a big chunk of top quality felt, better than any pre-cut I've found, and it is shipped to your door for cheap. Shipping is faster than most. I've bought there twice, and both times it was here in 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Why would you not want to use durofelt? It is a very nice family that runs that place. Find the 1/8" hard felt (for wads) in the clearance section. You get a big chunk of top quality felt, better than any pre-cut I've found, and it is shipped to your door for cheap. Shipping is faster than most. I've bought there twice, and both times it was here in 2 days.
    I don't have any problems with Duro-Felt and will probably place an order with them soon. But with most places catching the "OUT OF STOCK" fever, I wanted to know my alternatives just in case.

Boolit Grand Master

I have tried the old hat route and find it is so much easier, although slightly costlier to use Duro-felt.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Is there such thing as felt that is not suitable for black powder usage? What would happen if I chose felt that was less dense, like the kind kids use for arts and crafts?

Boolit Buddy
    You can cut the wads below into thirds or in half, short soak in bees wax. $9.79 for 500 (1,000 after cutting).
    To the right of wad picture click on size and you will find .455. They work very well, the 28 gauge work very well in a .54 under a R.E.A.L. bullet , 11 gauge for Brown Bess and the list goes on.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fi...roductinfo/FC/

Boolit Buddy
    Another option, I have tried also and work very well (no cutting), just soak in wax and you are done.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010391437?pid=739373

The ones they have and I have used are the .45, 60 thou and they are almost a hard card compressed vegetable card, not as easy to use (push into the cylinder)
    as the ones I posted on the last post.
    Last edited by Caswell Ranch; 01-19-2021 at 11:56 PM.

Boolit Man

Grainger has felt for vibration damping/sound insulation sold by the square foot. I'm sure there are better deals out there but it's somewhere to look if things start drying up at the usual spots.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I went to a hat maker close to my house and got a bunch of trimmings from their hat it was free too lol

Boolit Master
    I get my pillow ticking from jo ann fabrics and I noticed they have thick felt as well.

Aftershock51,
    I've experimented with wads for years because I am a cheapskate and refuse to pay the price of Wonder Wads. I eventually settled on buying 1/2" filler wads from Circle Fly through Track of the Wolf. You get 500 fiber wads that are 1/2" thick, lube them with any number of lube formulas (easiest is beeswax/lard 50/50) then split them while watching a cowboy movie on TV into 2 or 3 thicknesses. They end up costing you maybe 2-3 bucks a hundred if that and work just fine. I typically buy two bags (1000 total) and am set for a couple of years of Cowboy Action Shooting matches. Get the 45 cal wads for your 44s.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Aftershock51 View Post
    I don't have any problems with Duro-Felt and will probably place an order with them soon. But with most places catching the "OUT OF STOCK" fever, I wanted to know my alternatives just in case.
    Buy enough that is not a problem , lead /primers will be a immediate and powder right behind problem . The cure is unknown unless you practice flint knapping and makin your own powder

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    I get my pillow ticking from jo ann fabrics and I noticed they have thick felt as well.
    That's where I go too

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Aftershock51 View Post
    I'm looking to start making my own felt wads for a .44 revolver. I've seen a few DIY tutorials on doing so, but they all seem to list Duro-Felt as their felt source. Is there somewhere else that I can find suitable felt for wads? Can I use felt found at a local craft shop? What's the difference?
    Someone else already mentioned Grainger, so I'll mention McMaster-Carr. They have stuff Grainger doesn't, and vice-versa, so it's good to have both in your toolbox, so to speak. You can get felt at the hobby art suppliers, as well, but it's usually not natural fiber. Polyester felt may melt in the bore of your weapon and leave fouling that you wouldn't get with wool felt.

Boolit Master

I'm not really into BP/muzzleloading, but I do enjoy shooting the Ruger Old Army. I bought the Duro-Felt and used Gatofeo lube. The link below has all the information. Granted, to acquire all that stuff would not be "cheap" but a little goes a long way. I bought a couple of punches from Track of the Wolf and just punch out what I need.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...e-wads.123266/

Link for Duro Felt. Site has changed since I bought from her.

http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html
    John
    W.TN

A hole punch of 7/16" for the 44s and 3/8" for the 36s chucked into a drill press and the felt sheet over an end block of wood punches them out easily. The only problem is the rpm of the drill press flings them a ways if you don't empty the punch. A very slow speed is all you need. Punch out the wads BEFORE lubing will be a lot less messy.
    Dittos on the hobby/fabric shop "felt": it is not wool nor cotton.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Buddy
    Walmarts, Window and door weather striping. 25 ft roll, $1.25 works well. 1/2 in
    wide , just cut off little squares and press into cylinder. Don't know what it's made
    of, but it don't smoulder after firing. I lube with venison tallow. Vaseline or Crisco
    will work also.

National chain craft/hobby shops and some fabric shops carry 9"x12" felt sheets - I use them in various colors to line pistol display cases I've made.

https://www.michaels.com/9x12-basic-.../10153971.html

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Got a paper mill nearby? When I was a kid my stepdad brought home rolls of felt from conveyor belts I believe, built a stick frame shed and used it as sheathing. Coat of paint kept the water from rotting it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast