Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: who has used any of the colored powders IMR blue as an example ?

Boolit Buddy

who has used any of the colored powders IMR blue as an example ?

i am looking for someone who has USED the newer IMR powders (colored) in reduced loads in k-31s, mosins,or 30-06.if you have i would love to hear what you have to say about them. thanks

Boolit Master
    Green mountain boy, I have used IMR Red in the 30-06 with very favorable results. I compared loads using an older sample of Red Dot against the new IMR RED, using a charge of 12.5 grs. and a 175 gr. Saeco bullet. The range was 200 yards, and if I remember correctly, the RED load's group was a few inches higher than the twenty year old Red Dot group. The new Red's group was also slightly smaller.

I really need to get a new chronograph and do some more comparisons between some of these new powders, to see if they are as good as, close too, or better than the powders they are trying to copy. My opinion of Red is that it is a good powder for use in the .30 cal rifles. I have a sample of Blue, but have not used it yet, but fully expect it to perform as well as the Blue Dot has. I am puzzled as to why they never got the Unique clone to market, but I inquired about UNEQUAL, and recieved a reply stating that it didn't fulfill their expectations, so they stopped development of it.

Boolit Buddy
    many thanks, im sure i will try them all. i went to the local gun store to look for unique or IMR red, they were out of unique and only had IMR blue so since i use blue dot in 41 magnums that was an easy choice for me. mosins and K_31 will enjoy it as well. thank you for the info.

Boolit Buddy
    In my 223 reduced loads I found absolutely no difference between IMR blue and Blue dot. My 55gr SP loads shot the same velocity within 20fps, grouped the same, and had the same POI. I went through about 40 rounds testing that two years ago. So at least with that kind of load the two powders are interchangeable.

I should mention that during my test, the IMR blue had less of an extreme spread & standard deviation. But that could have been because the IMR blue was newer than the 1.5 year old blue dot can I had on hand. Who knows though. I do keep all my powder stored in a environmentally controlled area in the house.

The IMR Red granules are more uniform and possibly thinner that Red Dot. If you have an older powder measure such as a Lyman 55 or a Hornady pistol measure that have loose tolerances, you might have some binding with granules between moving parts.

Banned

Blue is being discontinued. Lack of sales

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Link?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    How is ANY powder not selling in this day and age?

Boolit Grand Master
    Lack of sales? Nothing is selling, because no one can find anything to buy.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I have used both red and green in reduced 30-30 and 308 loads. You would need a chronograph to tell the difference between 7 grs. of Red and 7.0 grs. of Red dot. I have also used Green to sub for Green dot in reduced loads. It seems that the IMR powders have finer grains.

I've not used any of the colored IMR powders, but I picked up a couple of cans of IMR Target CHEAP...like $11 per pound 2 or 3 years ago. The stuff is fantastic, loads and shoots just like Bullseye.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member