Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Cross-feed Vise?

Boolit Buddy

RG1911,

I have done business with Lost Creek Machine many times. They do shop buyouts around the rust belt. Decent prices on most stuff. Much more on the shelves and on the floor displayed compared to what is on their website. Small family run business. So takes time to inventory and get listed.

http://www.lostcreekmachine.com

Give them a call, they might have a some options not listed on the website.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gishooter View Post
    RG1911,

I have done business with Lost Creek Machine many times. They do shop buyouts around the rust belt. Decent prices on most stuff. Much more on the shelves and on the floor displayed compared to what is on their website. Small family run business. So takes time to inventory and get listed.

http://www.lostcreekmachine.com

Give them a call, they might have a some options not listed on the website.
    Will do! Thank you!
    Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

RG1911 The cross slide vise is generally not all that great a tool. They are usually expected to do things they weren't designed to do. If you are planning on doing any milling on your drill press you will find that between the slop in the spindle bearings on the DP and slop in the X and Y gibs of the vise most things you do won't be what you were looking for.

However it is possible to adjust the gibs and tighten them down to where they will stay pretty much where you set them. For drilling holes in precise locations these tools can be made to work, but you will have to do your homework and learn how to use the tool. there is more to it than meets the eye.

Keep in mind that Drill Press Spindles are not designed for Side Loads like a Milling Machine. However they can still do light cuts with small end mills without too many problems. You just have to learn the limitations of the machine.

As far as a brand,,, "Palmgren" is good, and you might find one on Ebay as there is alot of stuff on there right now.

One other thing you might look for is a Clausing Milling Machine. These are small 1/2 hp machines with up to a 1/2" collet capacity and work pretty well for light stuff after you get the hang of using one. I have seen many for < $500 and it would be money well spent. I had one in my shop for alot of years and I paid $200 for it. After I took it apart and painted it and cleaned it up, I used it for several years and sold it for $2000! so I was happy and the outfit that bought it is still using it daily cutting aluminum and plastic. So we both made out. They are seldom worn out so chances of getting a good one are good. They take up about a 3'x3' space on your floor.

A lot better than a 75 year old drill press and vise.

Hope this helps

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12