Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Cross-feed Vise?

Boolit Master

Good Cross-feed Vise?

My apologies if this has been asked before, but Search did not turn up an answer.

I would like to get a good cross-feed vise for my vintage (1946) Delta drill press. I sincerely regret that price is a consideration. Every vise I've viewed on-line had too many negative comments; usually dealing with slop and binding.

I'm in Wyoming, not the Rust Belt, and good used machine tools are not to be found; so I'm looking at new vises.

What are the recommendations from the metal-workers in the group?

Thank you,
    Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    palmgren

Boolit Master

What size and what price range ?

I got a Palmgren 120 years ago for the home shop drill press.
    I'd recommend it.

I don't pay much attention to positive reviews. I know how most of them will read.
    However;
    I do sort through most negative reviews.
    For any item: I've found some reviews are posted by people that are too stupid to own it.
    Other bad reviews, although valid, the issue they address is often not any fault of the manufacturer.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-20-2021 at 01:24 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    Judging by reviews and price

Cross Slide Vise,

https://handymansworld.net/best-drill-press-vises/

https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-11694-...language=en_US

Wilton Tools 11694 4-Inch Cross Slide Drill Press Vise $112.59 Prime free shipping

Boolit Buddy
    There is a big difference between an actual cross feed and a positioning vise.
    These should never be used to 'feed' anything on a drill press, but strictly to position and lock down for drilling. If your thinking of using one for actual feeding and 'milling' on your drill press, you need to re-think that completely...

Boolit Grand Master

Ive been using one from grizzly tools for the last couple years on my old leland gifford floor model drill press. It is very good for my use. But you loose about 4" of height to it. Another is if your machine dosnt have a means of raising the table ( rack and pinion gear) you will be lifting the table and cress slide.

I use it for bolt hole patterns and aligning parts, its easier than tapping them around. No milling is done with it since drill chucks and morse tapers arnt meant for side loads.

I find grizzly tp be very good tools for the cost.

Boolit Master
    I thought 4" would be a workable size, and sub-$200.

Thank you,
    Richard

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
    There is a big difference between an actual cross feed and a positioning vise.
    These should never be used to 'feed' anything on a drill press, but strictly to position and lock down for drilling. If your thinking of using one for actual feeding and 'milling' on your drill press, you need to re-think that completely...
    Understand. However, I am trying to find a bench-top vertical mill for which the cross-feed would, I believe, be a good fit.

Thank you,
    Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

I would go with grizzly , they have one in stock and one other on the way . sub $100

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by RG1911 View Post
    Understand. However, I am trying to find a bench-top vertical mill for which the cross-feed would, I believe, be a good fit.

Thank you,
    Richard
    If you are looking at at bench-top mill, the X/Y feeds are built in. All you need is a good solid machinist's vise to bolt to the table. I would recommend one that has the lock-down feature in the jaws. Parts will not creep around when you tighten them. I own several KURT vises for my several mills and they work great. Just get one small enough to fit you little bench top dude. There ChiComm rip-off designs for the KURT technology, just watch for inferior workmanship.

There is the "Happybuy" brand milling vise on Amazon.....cheap $$, but they look good and solid.....if you are looking for low dollar stuff.

banger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    There is the "Happybuy" brand milling vise on Amazon.....cheap $$, but they look good and solid.....if you are looking for low dollar stuff.
    banger
    As it happens, I have that type of vise; I believe it came with the Delta drill press. Considering the production table (no slots for anchoring a vise), I'm not sure how, or if, it was used with the DP.

Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RG1911 View Post

Thank you,
    Richard
    Im confused,, you originally said it was for a drill press ?
    I was strictly cautioning about any notions of milling on said drill press.

As said,, any bench top vertical mill will have its own cross feed.
    Adding a positioning vise is redundant and will play hell on your rigidity.
    And rigidity is paramount for any machine tool work,, most especially a mill.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
    Im confused,, you originally said it was for a drill press ?
    I was strictly cautioning about any notions of milling on said drill press.

As said,, any bench top vertical mill will have its own cross feed.
    Adding a positioning vise is redundant and will play hell on your rigidity.
    And rigidity is paramount for any machine tool work,, most especially a mill.
    Thank you. Understood. Appreciate the information. I was not aware that all vertical mills would (or should) come with its own cross-feed.

So the vise will only be used with my drill press; not with a milling machine (which I, alas, do not yet have).
    Last edited by RG1911; 01-21-2021 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Added clarifying information

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    here is a little mill for short money. if you want to go to LA there are a bunch of old Bridgeports they are selling cheap too.
    this is a great place to get good old machines for little money

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...00&acctid=8612

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    here is a little mill for short money. if you want to go to LA there are a bunch of old Bridgeports they are selling cheap too.

Thank you. Some good buys, assuming you have a forklift and a really big truck. Unfortunately, the distances from Wyoming are prohibitive. However, I will monitor the site in case something good appears within a couple-few hundred miles.

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    that site and gsaauctions, sell off stuff all over the country, you just have to keep an eye on what's being offered near you. some places offer loading it all depends. some place will even ship stuff to you or give you the number of a local ups store owner that will. seems every sale is a different situation some are on federal property where you cannot get in without a passport, real id and quart of brood from your first born.
    they often sell brass and lead from shooting ranges too and ammo cans too on the govdeal site.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post

WOW! That thing is in REALLY rough shape! Those machined ways and vertical column will not clean up easily or to a working condition. Mabe short on $$.....but long on referb time.

Check out new Harbor Freight #33686. A little more money, made in the same factory as Jet, but NEW~~~~!

Boolit Grand Master

would need rebuild / overhaul with the rust and possibly new over sized gibs. Would mean a lot of hand work in scraping back into alignment and fit. At the cost plus time tp get back into shape its on the high side.

You could send the base put to be ground but that would add a couple hundred dollars to the price.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    WOW! That thing is in REALLY rough shape! Those machined ways and vertical column will not clean up easily or to a working condition. Mabe short on $$.....but long on referb time.

Check out new Harbor Freight #33686. A little more money, made in the same factory as Jet, but NEW~~~~!
    I saw the rust, etc, but did not understand the extent of the damage. If I find a used one that looks like a reasonable candidate, I will post pictures here.

The Harbor Freight mill is, at least for the time being, outside my budget.

Thank you,
    Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast