Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: New Henry Big Boy X brought home.

Boolit Master

New Henry Big Boy X brought home.

My LGS had this Henry Big Boy X in .45 Colt sitting on the shelf for nearly two months before I couldn't resist any longer and brought it home today.

3 years ago, I tried to build this same rifle using a Remlin 1894 in .45 Colt as the foundation. The goal was to have a rifle capable of defense against predators and two-legged threats that was short, light, and handy. It would be my companion while camping, hiking, and exploring the Idaho back country.

I took the 1894 and it's sub-par wood and fit and finish and coated the stock with a textured desert tan finish. Then added a small piece of picatinny rail for mounting a light(needed for investigating bump in the night noises while camping), added a rail to the top for a red dot, a comfy sling, and a butt stock shell holder. It turned out great.

Except that it was heavy, and had feeding issues. Tipped the scales at over 10lbs and despite some action work and replacing the tube follower, it still wasn't 100%. But it did shoot decent 1.5" groups at 55 yards.

So, I decided to build an AR to fill that role. I ended up with an AR in .450 Bushmaster that was reliable, accurate, but was still heavy, and simply too bulky and uncomfortable to sling while hiking.

Then I saw the new Henry Big Boy X that came in at 7 lbs and held 7 rounds of .45 Colt. Already had fiber optic sights, a larger loop lever, composite stocks, matte finish, and even a picatinny rail for a light. It was the rifle I had intended to build in the first place.

Price on the tag was a bit steep at $799. So I went online to see if I could order one cheaper. Nope. Online they are going for $900 to $1200, if you can even find one.

So I finally convinced myself that I should pony up the $800 for the one locally.

Bought it today and headed straight to the range with a buddy to try it out. No factory ammo available, but I had plenty of reloads on hand that worked well in my Marlin and my Ruger Bisley.

Loaded it up and took aim at a 55 yard target. Trigger was crisp but heavy at 6.5 lbs. Shot the first group by putting the front sight on the bullseye while my buddy watched through a spotting scope. First shot was to the left 4". Next shot was low 4". last shot was high 4".

What??? I had a great sight picture and it felt good. 8" group. At 55 yards, using the same loads that give me 1.5" with the Marlin.

Tried another load and same results.

So, heading back to the range tomorrow after a thorough cleaning of the rifle. Bringing more recipes and added a Burris Fastfire III red dot to see if that improves things. If not, then I'll call Henry and see what they think.

But, the rifle functioned 100% and felt great. Hoping I can get it to shoot as good as it looks.

Attachment 275645

This was the Marlin I built. Going to try and sell it for a few hundred to help offset the cost of the Henry.

Attachment 275646
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Got the rifle sorted out today. Turns out it was my aging eyes that was the culprit. With the red dot mounted, was able to get just over an inch at 55 yards with plinking loads and 250 grain cast boolits.

Settled on 250 grain Hornady XTPs and 10.5 grains of Unique, which give me around 1.5" at 55 yards. That should do just fine.

Attachment 275672
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

ya should have kept the marlin. personal opinion.

I think the big boy X has lot going for it. There's no real "all weather" finished leverguns, and laminate wood is too heavy for a stock material, so until McMillan comes out with stocks for these, Im glad they finally did a nice polymer stock.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Went2kck View Post
    ya should have kept the marlin. personal opinion.
    Why? It wouldn't cycle reliably, was 3lbs heavier, wasn't as smooth an action, didn't have the option of tube feed AND side gate loading, and didn't have as nice of a finish on metal parts. And you would cut yourself trying to work on the dang thing due to all of the sharp edges.

Really not seeing why it's a better rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

People have preferences and that is how they are.
    Henry has done alot to listen to American shooters and I appreciate that enough to buy their well made products.
    Marlin used to make good rifles but that was 40+ years ago. Plus they refused to listen for the last 30+ to our requests. When was the last 41 mag lever rifle made by the now well defunked Marlin ? Or a 44 with 1-20" rifling ? Or the ultra dumb Miro-groove scratches ?
    But those are my preferences also.
    Long Live Henry !!!
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I am impressed that there was one on the shelf at all. I want one in a 44 as I like the idea of a Henry that is ready for the woods, and if I am not too badly mistaken they have a better twist rate. So you can color me jealous at your good fortune.

I grabbed one in 41 while I could, no disappointment here, I said I wouldn’t have one until they put a gate on it. I was wrong .41 if it is going to be made it’s not getting a gate.

Boolit Master
    My BBS carbine .45 Colt is awesome. Had it for about 2 years. It really needs to get shot more.
    I did file the lifter just a touch to get it to feed 270-SAA's, and I need to grab a regular sized lever, as I'm not wild about the large loop. I did put an old Leupy M8 2.5 on it. Was going to run a peep, but ran into a deal on another scope for my .45-70, so the M8 went on the Henry. Don't regret that at all.
    It shoots great and feeds like it has eyes.
    I looked at 2 new Marlins before I bought it. All I can say is that I hope Ruger can un-screw them.
    If given a choice, I'd rather load the tube than through a gate.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Potsy View Post
    My BBS carbine .45 Colt is awesome. Had it for about 2 years. It really needs to get shot more.
    I did file the lifter just a touch to get it to feed 270-SAA's, and I need to grab a regular sized lever, as I'm not wild about the large loop. I did put an old Leupy M8 2.5 on it. Was going to run a peep, but ran into a deal on another scope for my .45-70, so the M8 went on the Henry. Don't regret that at all.
    It shoots great and feeds like it has eyes.
    I looked at 2 new Marlins before I bought it. All I can say is that I hope Ruger can un-screw them.
    If given a choice, I'd rather load the tube than through a gate.
    Yeah, I didn't really think the larger lever was necessary, but I really like the one on my Henry. Maybe because it is properly smoothed and not sharp like the Remlin's.

I shot both jacketed and 250gr cast through the Henry with no feeding issues. The only time I use the tube feed is to unload it; much easier and controlled to dump them out the tube than work them through the action.

Boolit Master
    Seems Henry cannot make these new side gate models fast enough. The prices on GB are through the roof.

Boolit Master

Got my Surefire light mounted. Rifle is under 8 lbs full of ammo and is the perfect companion to have sitting next to me at the campfire when the wolves start getting curious...

Attachment 277483

Boolit Buddy

Nice configuration, looks great!

How do you like the Fastfire as a rifle red dot?
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrHarmless View Post
    How do you like the Fastfire as a rifle red dot?
    I'm liking it. I thought it would be too small, but when compared to a traditional peep sight, it's not bad. Now my regular red dots on the other rifles seem too big.

Boolit Bub
    I was wanting a 41 mag picked a hex barrel 41 mag up and put a peep on it trigger is a little heavy but shoots well no side gate unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk