WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to reloading, just bought a "lot" of reloading equipment

Boolit Bub

New to reloading, just bought a "lot" of reloading equipment

Hello all,

I am new to reloading and recently purchased a "lot" of equipment which included many items that I will not utilize.

A few questions:
    I have a ton of brass in sizes I have no plan on using. 500S&W, 450, 357, 44.....I want to recover some of the $ out on the lot by selling the brass. Do you find an advantage to selling cleaned and deprimed versus just shot?

I also have boolits in the sizes above, and will need to forward those to future users of freedom seeds. Once I get to 30 posts, I will post in the swap area.

Is there a reason to keep the dies I for certain would never directly use?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by corybrown50 View Post
    Is there a reason to keep the dies I for certain would never directly use?
    Not for me.
    If I have enough of an odd caliber of brass to amount to much, or dies & molds I'll never use again-
    I trade, sell off, or give it away.
    Rather than have it in the way collecting dust and spider webs,
    I like getting it back out in circulation to someone who will use and appreciate it.

As far as clean & processed vs. 'raw' or range brass prices--
    check out the price differences the big guys sell surplus & range brass with dirt & grass still on it, or if its all processed and ready to load.
    And read a bunch on the brass prices here on S&S. See what folks ask for it, and how soon it gets grabbed up.

Hint:
    If it gets snatched up really, really quick,,, that tells ya the asking price was too low.

Then make a value judgement as to if you're willing to do the work to get the higher-ish price for processed stuff.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Keep everything IMO. You may find your self owning a firearm that shoots that round. But when i sell brass. I Decap and tumble it as a curtesy. Plus clean brass is easier for me to inspect for ruptures.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Cory - 1. re the odd dies - there is no such thing as "never for certain". You never know what you might buy/inherit/trade for. Also, there is a bewildering degree of interchangeability among dies and sometimes some unused die is perfect for that weirdo project/task you didn't anticipate.
    2. What calibers of brass do your have? What calibers/weights of bullets do you have?
    3. Did you end up with any primers/powders for which you have no current use?
    Ed <><

Boolit Master

Welcome to the Forum.

Continue to follow and comment where appropriate. You might want to list them in the Swap & Sale section when you reach qualification level.

Keep in mind that: You must be a member for 30 days and have a minimum of 30 meaningful on topic posts to start a thread in S&S. Posts in the Swap & Sell and the PIT do not count towards the minimum 30 posts.

There are additional rules that can be found at: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...mp-Definitions
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Not for me.
    If I have enough of an odd caliber of brass to amount to much, or dies & molds I'll never use again-
    I trade, sell off, or give it away.
    Rather than have it in the way collecting dust and spider webs,
    I like getting it back out in circulation to someone who will use and appreciate it.

As far as clean & processed vs. 'raw' or range brass prices--
    check out the price differences the big guys sell surplus & range brass with dirt & grass still on it, or if its all processed and ready to load.
    And read a bunch on the brass prices here on S&S. See what folks ask for it, and how soon it gets grabbed up.

Hint:
    If it gets snatched up really, really quick,,, that tells ya the asking price was too low.

Then make a value judgement as to if you're willing to do the work to get the higher-ish price for processed stuff.
    Thank you sir.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Keep everything IMO. You may find your self owning a firearm that shoots that round. But when i sell brass. I Decap and tumble it as a curtesy. Plus clean brass is easier for me to inspect for ruptures.
    I get keep everything, but....I highly doubt getting a 500...and if I do, I should be able to afford purchasing again....I was thinking decap and tumble.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School Big Bore View Post
    Cory - 1. re the odd dies - there is no such thing as "never for certain". You never know what you might buy/inherit/trade for. Also, there is a bewildering degree of interchangeability among dies and sometimes some unused die is perfect for that weirdo project/task you didn't anticipate.
    2. What calibers of brass do your have? What calibers/weights of bullets do you have?
    3. Did you end up with any primers/powders for which you have no current use?
    Ed <><
    3: I found 1 small pistol primer in the bottom of a box....willing to sell for $1k hehehehe.....wishing for small pistol primers.
    2: So far, 500, 450, 357, 44....I don't want to get too specific and get in trouble for selling outside of the right area
    1: Yeah, I get it...trouble with deciding for immediate need vs future. I'm leaning mostly toward immediate need, but keeping some dies that I may use in the future such as 30-06, 45

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Welcome to the Forum.

Continue to follow and comment where appropriate. You might want to list them in the Swap & Sale section when you reach qualification level.

Keep in mind that: You must be a member for 30 days and have a minimum of 30 meaningful on topic posts to start a thread in S&S. Posts in the Swap & Sell and the PIT do not count towards the minimum 30 posts.

There are additional rules that can be found at: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...mp-Definitions
    Thank you sir, I am working towards that goal for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by corybrown50 View Post
    3: future such as 30-06, 45
    Oh yeah, definitely.
    You will probably find out that its very stressful, and hard to go through life without a .45 AND a .30-06.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Oh yeah, definitely.
    You will probably find out that its very stressful, and hard to go through life without a .45 and a .30-06.
    Yeah....well.....I'm a 9mm and 270 WIN guy right now....I have had many debates with the guys in my men's group about the choices. As Old School Big Bore said, never know what you may pick up, and I can see myself picking these up.

Boolit Master

What about Molds? Any casting equipment in that lot? How about Swaging press or dies? If your not aware of swaging yet; see: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?41-Swaging
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Moderator Emeritus

corybrown50,
    Welcome to the forum.

Brass:
    When I buy brass, and I have bought a lot from many different sellers over the last 15 years, I prefer it Not cleaned and Not processed in anyway. Some people who are new to the hobby are likely to do damage by incorrectly cleaning and processing the brass, so I'd rather do that myself. Numerous times I have received brass that was incorrectly processed, making more work to correct the problems and create more culls. Other people may have other opinions on that.

Boolits:
    You'll likely find it difficult to sell cast boolits to people who cast boolits. Kind of like selling Ice to Eskimos. But if you have some factory jacketed bullets, they sell well in S&S.

Dies:
    Since I load a lot of different calibers, I find if helpful to have a lot of extra dies laying around, but I can say for the first ten years that I was reloading, I had a total of 4 die sets, and that's all I needed. If you have insight into what you will be loading in the next 5 years, then I'd sell all the dies you won't need. I will also add, I haven't ever seen a decrease in value in used dies, so if you hold onto them, you will likely be money ahead, whether you need them in the future or you sell them in the future.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    What about Molds? Any casting equipment in that lot? How about Swaging press or dies? If your not aware of swaging yet; see: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?41-Swaging
    Unfortunately no. 2 presses though. A Lee single and a 3 hole turret. Not previously mentioned, 7mm WSM, 7mm Remington dies....

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    corybrown50,
    Welcome to the forum.

Brass:
    When I buy brass, and I have bought a lot from many different sellers over the last 15 years, I prefer it Not cleaned and Not processed in anyway. Some people who are new to the hobby are likely to do damage by incorrectly cleaning and processing the brass, so I'd rather do that myself. Numerous times I have received brass that was incorrectly processed, making more work to correct the problems and create more culls. Other people may have other opinions on that.

Boolits:
    You'll likely find it difficult to sell cast boolits to people who cast boolits. Kind of like selling Ice to Eskimos. But if you have some factory jacketed bullets, they sell well in S&S.

Dies:
    Since I load a lot of different calibers, I find if helpful to have a lot of extra dies laying around, but I can say for the first ten years that I was reloading, I had a total of 4 die sets, and that's all I needed. If you have insight into what you will be loading in the next 5 years, then I'd sell all the dies you won't need. I will also add, I haven't ever seen a decrease in value in used dies, so if you hold onto them, you will likely be money ahead, whether you need them in the future or you sell them in the future.
    Good to know about the brass. I would probably feel the same way.

The Boolits are not cast, they are factory Hornady, Speer, etc

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about the dies, keep what I use, and a couple I'm curious about. The dies are a rather surprising mixed lot. Just found a 221 Remington, which I've never heard of. So far the ones I doubt I'd keep:
    221 Remington
    35 Remington
    6mm/.244 Remington
    7mm Remington
    7mm WSM
    44Mag
    500 S&W

Boolit Grand Master
    Stuff is selling at a premium right now. Sell the stuff you are sure you will not use in the next 3 years and cash it out. Buy the stuff you need.

IE something like .500 S&W brass is useless...get rid of it. It takes a special kind of person to "need" a gun like that. And an even more special one to use it effectively.

Nothing wrong with toys if you can afford them, but get your basics needs addressed first. Put together a plan and review it every couple of years.

BTW, you do not "need" both a .270 and .30/06, unless you are going after moose, then get a .300 Mag. Anyone telling you that is not too bright.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

I prefer brass to not be cleaned. It's much easier to tell if its once fired or multiple fired.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Stuff is selling at a premium right now. Sell the stuff you are sure you will not use in the next 3 years and cash it out. Buy the stuff you need.

IE something like .500 S&W brass is useless...get rid of it. It takes a special kind of person to "need" a gun like that. And an even more special one to use it effectively.

Nothing wrong with toys if you can afford them, but get your basics needs addressed first. Put together a plan and review it every couple of years.

BTW, you do not "need" both a .270 and .30/06, unless you are going after moose, then get a .300 Mag. Anyone telling you that is not too bright.
    Definitely agree with the 500, I don't want to insult anyone, I just cannot see myself using that and exploding half a deer in the woods.
    Keeping the 30/06 was with the idea I may eventually forward the 270 to my son (7yo right now) or that I would pickup a 30/06 on the cheap. Same idea for 45.
    No moose in Ohio yet.
    I also agree on the premium....I'm all over the internet looking for 270 WIN FL....crazy prices.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I prefer brass to not be cleaned. It's much easier to tell if its once fired or multiple fired.
    Thank you, one more for that column on my survey. I appreciate it.

Boolit Bub
    Hey! Lookey there.....1/3 of the way...Thank you all for helping a newbie out. I'm still going through and figuring out what I have.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast