Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to reloading, just bought a "lot" of reloading equipment

Boolit Bub
    I think I'll be teaching my son and daughter (13) how to separate brass and head stamps.

I say sell what you don't anticipate needing. You can always buy 44 mag dies later if you need them. Same with anything else you might want.

I also say don't process the brass. I don't normally use unknown rifle brass, but brass that's raw is easier to tell. Federal with the primer sealant still I consider as known once fired. A member here gifted me some 30-06 brass that I'm using but, as soon as finances, availability, and gumption intersect I'll gift it and replace it with known. Many are not as scrupulous as I am though about rifle brass. And I don't mind unknown pistol brass at all.

Bullets, I don't buy them at near full price. If I can't get a deal on jacketed I shoot cast. I rarely buy anything jacketed anyways, except for 30-06.

If you did happen to have some swaging equipment, you'd be wise to keep itid it makes for a caliber you're into because it's expensive to buy new.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I say sell what you don't anticipate needing. You can always buy 44 mag dies later if you need them. Same with anything else you might want.

I also say don't process the brass. I don't normally use unknown rifle brass, but brass that's raw is easier to tell. Federal with the primer sealant still I consider as known once fired. A member here gifted me some 30-06 brass that I'm using but, as soon as finances, availability, and gumption intersect I'll gift it and replace it with known. Many are not as scrupulous as I am though about rifle brass. And I don't mind unknown pistol brass at all.

Bullets, I don't buy them at near full price. If I can't get a deal on jacketed I shoot cast. I rarely buy anything jacketed anyways, except for 30-06.

If you did happen to have some swaging equipment, you'd be wise to keep itid it makes for a caliber you're into because it's expensive to buy new.
    Gotcha.

I'm pretty much going to move on to someone else about half of what I got. The presses, few dies I'll keep, and brass I'll keep are worth the price I paid, mostly. If I can recoup some money from the deal with the stuff I do not "need", then it will make it a good deal.

Boolit Bub
    I definitely need to move at least some on, as that was part of what I sold my wife on with it

Quote Originally Posted by corybrown50 View Post
    I definitely need to move at least some on, as that was part of what I sold my wife on with it
    Good job. This will add several bonus points onto your 'man card'.
    I know guys who will tell ya, 'relationships can be built on lies'.

One time I took the boat over to pick up a buddy, and drop off the 1st wife at his house.
    We'd go fishing all night, and the wives could hang out and talk about 'girl stuff'.

After a bit, he went to get beer, and soon came back with a 12 pack.
    We visited a little more and left.
    He took the 12 pack, once outside,,, he set it back in the carton it came from, and that was on top of the other case.

I asked him about it, and he told me if he didn't come back in with any-- his wife would get suspicious.
    But if he brought both cases inside, she wouldn't let him go.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    Welcome to CB

I agree with Jonb --Brass:
    When I buy brass, and I have bought a lot from many different sellers over the last 15 years, I prefer it Not cleaned and Not processed in any way.

Uncleaned brass tells me much about what it's been through.

9mm and 270 are excellent rounds

not owning at least 1 357, & 44mag is just unAmerican [purple designates sarcasim ]

If your cast boolits are commercial cast they will be a good alloy for mixing with pure to cast boolits for your 9 and 270.

I'd recommend hanging on to everything until you get a good feel for reloading (& casting) and can make a better decision on what you want to do.

Right now reloading equipment is going for a premium price, I don't see that changing any time soon.

Do a lot of research (on here search box in the top right of each page) before reloading 9mm with cast.

Welcome ! You definitely took up reloading during a unique time but better now than later. Some good advice above. Being that supplies are scarce, you might want to try trading some currently un-needed tools and components for stuff you now need. As far as brass, some prefer buying unprocessed brass and some want it clean. I personally rather have it untouched unless it’s real cruddy.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Plenty of moose been killed with the lowly 30-30.

Now is a good time to sell common brass that normally goes for less, such as 38 special, 9mm, 40S&W, 45 acp. During normal times those are so common they are real cheap.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Oh yeah, definitely.
    You will probably find out that its very stressful, and hard to go through life without a .45 AND a .30-06.
    I sold my only 3006 40 years ago and never owned a 45. NO WONDER I am a bundle of nerves.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Good job. This will add several bonus points onto your 'man card'.
    I know guys who will tell ya, 'relationships can be built on lies'.

One time I took the boat over to pick up a buddy, and drop off the 1st wife at his house.
    We'd go fishing all night, and the wives could hang out and talk about 'girl stuff'.

After a bit, he went to get beer, and soon came back with a 12 pack.
    We visited a little more and left.
    He took the 12 pack, once outside,,, he set it back in the carton it came from, and that was on top of the other case.

I asked him about it, and he told me if he didn't come back in with any-- his wife would get suspicious.
    But if he brought both cases inside, she wouldn't let him go.
    Nice....
    I always remember the joke about if my wife ever sells my stuff for what I told her it cost, someone would get a SMOKING DEAL....

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Welcome to CB

I agree with Jonb --Brass:
    When I buy brass, and I have bought a lot from many different sellers over the last 15 years, I prefer it Not cleaned and Not processed in any way.

Uncleaned brass tells me much about what it's been through.

9mm and 270 are excellent rounds

not owning at least 1 357, & 44mag is just unAmerican [purple designates sarcasim ]

If your cast boolits are commercial cast they will be a good alloy for mixing with pure to cast boolits for your 9 and 270.

I'd recommend hanging on to everything until you get a good feel for reloading (& casting) and can make a better decision on what you want to do.

Right now reloading equipment is going for a premium price, I don't see that changing any time soon.

Do a lot of research (on here search box in the top right of each page) before reloading 9mm with cast.
    All the boolits are factory JHP or similar.
    I don't own a 357, but I do have my grandfather's detective special snubnose 38, is that close enough?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Welcome ! You definitely took up reloading during a unique time but better now than later. Some good advice above. Being that supplies are scarce, you might want to try trading some currently un-needed tools and components for stuff you now need. As far as brass, some prefer buying unprocessed brass and some want it clean. I personally rather have it untouched unless it’s real cruddy.
    That hopefully is the plan. I have handloading tools for the 270, so I already have the components there. I would definitely trade for powder, primers....working on another horde I just found out about. Plenty of money to be made if you have the money to spend on a horde and part it out....

Sounds like untouched brass is the way to go....definitely easier for me...

Boolit Man
    I agree with some here. With the market as it is, it's time to sell the unneeded items or trade for stuff you want. That's exactly what I have been doing. I shoot CAS matches and afterward pick up all the .223 and 9 mm I can that other matches left. What used to be worthless currently brings good money, enough I can justify cool new casting, PC, and reloading toys. I wet tumble all my brass because I like stuff shiny and clean even if I'm selling it.

Keep the 30-06 brass and go over to the CMP website and order an M1 Garand, the greatest battle rifle ever produced, while they are still available. You can also put in for the 1911 lottery. I did.

Boolit Bub
    Welcome to the forum by the way!

Plenty of moose been killed with the lowly 30-30.

Now is a good time to sell common brass that normally goes for less, such as 38 special, 9mm, 40S&W, 45 acp. During normal times those are so common they are real cheap.
    Thanks Bazoo.....
    Where are you killing moose in Kentucky? I knew there were a few elk.....

Banned
    All the boolits are factory JHP or similar.
    I don't own a 357, but I do have my grandfather's detective special snubnose 38, is that close enough?
    .357 boolits will work in the 38

Thanks Bazoo.....
    Where are you killing moose in Kentucky? I knew there were a few elk.....
    From the computer chair. But I do have a 30-30.

Interesting story I read, true account of Olive Frederickson in the book silence is the north. She was out of meat, and all she had was a 30-30, and best I recall only 4 cartridges for it. She loaded her kids, either two or three of them, in a canoe and went looking. She advised them to hunker down and plug their ears if they seen a moose. They seen one and she dropped it with best I recall, 1 of her for cartridges.

Anyways, I'd sure love to get an elk, but I ain't had the chance of yet. If close, I'd love to take it with my 30-30 and a hard cast 31141. Got me dreaming again!

Moderator Emeritus

I don't sell my stuff as I have found I end up needing it down the road. Never know what the situation will be then. I have donated to members here duplicates that I ended up with.

Banned

Interesting story I read, true account of Olive Frederickson in the book silence is the north. She was out of meat, and all she had was a 30-30, and best I recall only 4 cartridges for it. She loaded her kids, either two or three of them, in a canoe and went looking. She advised them to hunker down and plug their ears if they seen a moose. They seen one and she dropped it with best I recall, 1 of her for cartridges.

Anyways, I'd sure love to get an elk, but I ain't had the chance of yet. If close, I'd love to take it with my 30-30 and a hard cast 31141. Got me dreaming again!
    Oh Oh here come the 30-30 stories. My dad (Born in 1904) thought we were nuts to use bolt guns. He thought a Model 94 was the only rifle a fella ever needed. But if you wanted a bigger gun get a 32 Special.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    .357 boolits will work in the 38
    Yes sir, that's the plan. Load them lighter...and play some

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub

Yeah, I've been told that a non resident has a better chance to get one of those elk tags than a resident. I'll put in for one sooner or later.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast