Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where can I backorder primers?

Boolit Master

Primers local gun shop $5 a hundred powder older cans 20 a lb jacketed bullets 100@ $15.99 , saw them today did not need any so did not buy .

I just wish I was there yesterday in that 4 minute window to get me some of those coveted primers!

Does Powder Valley have a "Notify Me" option?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    I just wish I was there yesterday in that 4 minute window to get me some of those coveted primers!

Does Powder Valley have a "Notify Me" option?
    ...............I dunno, but I'm thinking if they DID, it's been disabled, so prolly not. There's undoubtedly folks sitting there in front of the comp and eating breakfast, lunch and supper and reading a book. Every 10 seconds they hit refresh.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Our club's manager told me just a few months ago that we had 2 million primers in stock for sale to members. He put restrictions on quantity (1K/week) and kept the price to what he thought was reasonable but enough so that folks wouldn't be coming in every week ($40-45/K, depending on type). The club is still down to about 1% of that amount. We have well over a hundred members, and while action pistol can burn a lot of ammo in matches and practice, it's still pretty rare that somebody would use a thousand a week. Our conclusion is that most buyers are trying to stock up. There might be a few flipping primers on the statewide market for ~$100/K.

I offered some of my stock to the club at cost for resale, but the manager told me that I should keep it and use it myself (why I bought it, of course) or sell it at the local market rate.

Boolit Bub
    I still have a few thousand primers for what I shoot, so I am happy. Not really. It is annoying to have to ration what I have because once it is gone, I am stuck. I don't like that feeling.

Thus, I've been researching how to make your own primers. Caps are super easy. Even making black powder isn't hard and you can shoots well (using it in 1858 Cap and Ball).

Reloading center fire primers is a bit harder, but it is quite doable. First, before you freak out, you must work in small quantities "just in case". Thus, you only work with 33 grains of primer compound when you make it, which is about enough for 100 primers.

Short version is you clean, disassemble and remove the dent from your old used primers. Use pistol primers because the metal of the rifle is thicker and harder. Then you put in the compound, seal it up and put in the anvil. The easiest is the H-84 compound, which is the old pre-WWII corrosive primer. Non-corrosive primer materials is a bit harder to get the materials.

Anyway, some useful links:
    A full set of instructions: http://aardvarkreloading.com/primers.html
    A forum to discuss making primers: http://www.forums.sleepingdogammo.com

There's a huge group buy running on MeWe right now. Name of the group is Bang Buttons. It will be closing soon though, he's got huge amounts of orders. Getting them through Fedarms, I think it is, and they're Russian made primers. SPP, LPP, SRP, LRP, no magnums.

I'm in for 15K of them. Small primers are .04 each, large are .05. Delivery in late June. Send him payment for primers and order details, shipping costs will be calculated and charged at delivery time

I want you to join my group on MeWe: https://mewe.com/join/bangbuttons
    Last edited by rondog; 01-21-2021 at 05:50 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    There's a huge group buy running on MeWe right now. Name of the group is Bang Buttons. It will be closing soon though, he's got huge amounts of orders. Getting them through Fedarms, I think it is, and they're Russian made primers. SPP, LPP, SRP, LRP, no magnums.

I'm in for 15K of them. Small primers are .04 each, large are .05. Delivery in late June. Send him payment for primers and order details, shipping costs will be calculated and charged at delivery time

I would need to be desperate to pay for something up front to someone I do not know, and hoping for a delivery in 5 months. What if JOHO ban import of primers with an EO?

I hope it works out for you and the others trying to manage through this shortage.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post

I'll try to get in for at least a few K. It would be nice just to know I've got some on the way. Waiting to be accepted to the group right now.

Boolit Buddy
    I got in the group. It seems legit. I was pretty skeptical at first but all the indicators point toward a solid operation. My biggest concern is that by the time the shipment is in and individuals receive their orders there will be primers back on the shelves at the lgs and I'll have russian primers when I could have american made.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
    I got in the group. It seems legit. I was pretty skeptical at first but all the indicators point toward a solid operation. My biggest concern is that by the time the shipment is in and individuals receive their orders there will be primers back on the shelves at the lgs and I'll have russian primers when I could have american made.
    I don't think you have to worry about it.

I predict that the primer situation won't return to normal in the next four years.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
    Nothing wrong with Tula or Wolf primers. IIRC the US Marksmanship unit was loading rifle ammunition with Tula primers as they were better than ours. I only have about 30k left as people where willing to pay $20/1000 more for the Winchesters so I sold all the Winchesters.
    Don Verna

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Nothing wrong with Tula or Wolf primers. IIRC the US Marksmanship unit was loading rifle ammunition with Tula primers as they were better than ours. I only have about 30k left as people where willing to pay $20/1000 more for the Winchesters so I sold all the Winchesters.
    ..............Exactly. A few years back Graf & Son had some LR Milspec primers on sale. It said they were PMC Russian. THere really wasn't a shortage but wanting to stretch a buck I called them about those primers. They said they were Russian primers and that the Marines at Quantico were using them for reloading their match stuff. Haven't used any yet so I cannot speak personally about them, but they had a great recommendation!

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

The import of russian primers was banned in 2014. I used a lot. Wish I still could get them. Purchased 20K SRM in 2016. That was the last time I could find them. I ran out about 1 1/2 ago.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123