RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where can I backorder primers?

Boolit Mold

Where can I backorder primers?

Not much to add to the current complaints about a lack of primers.

Are there any businesses that allow backorder of primers?

I haven't found any.

Thanks!

G.

Boolit Master

Me Too. Inquiring minds want to know; who will take a primer backorder? I am OK for a while; but given our climate I would rather have an order in for additional - even if it's 3, 4,.. 9 months until availability.

I am exploring reloading primers and have been down several test paths; but have not mastered "Reliability/Quality" yet. I'll continue in those efforts, but really would like to have some control on picking up provers rather than the choice of "Buy at Astronomical Prices" or "Some Day".
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

I think most companies learned a lesson a LONG time ago.

If they allow backorders and it takes months to fill those orders what happens is they either ship the back orders then get calls about wanting to return them OR they have to go through and call each person on the list and see if they still want them.

What has happened in the past is people would place backorders with say five different supplies. All the suppliers would get stock at around the same time and the customer would end up with a LOT of primers they didn't want and in some cases couldn't afford.

It's much safer, cheaper and easier to NOT allow backorders when they have no idea when the stock is coming in.

It's one thing when they can say the truck will be here next week, it's another when it could be two years from now.
    NRA Benefactor.

Moderator Emeritus

Powder valley has them in stock right now.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/prod...-primers-1000/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Wow. Not bad if you live near there but a limit of one a day with hazmat. Ouch

Boolit Master

4 minutes later they're gone!

Not any more!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    I think most companies learned a lesson a LONG time ago.

If they allow backorders and it takes months to fill those orders what happens is they either ship the back orders then get calls about wanting to return them OR they have to go through and call each person on the list and see if they still want them.

What has happened in the past is people would place backorders with say five different supplies. All the suppliers would get stock at around the same time and the customer would end up with a LOT of primers they didn't want and in some cases couldn't afford.

It's much safer, cheaper and easier to NOT allow backorders when they have no idea when the stock is coming in.

It's one thing when they can say the truck will be here next week, it's another when it could be two years from now.
    One way to deal with the condition is to implement a backorder process; auto e-mail that your order is in and you have 3 days to validate the purchase against your previously provided credit card information for billing - Or you are subject to a 25% non refundable restocking fee.

About 8 months ago I ordered a Lyman Ammo Checker for pistol calibers fro MidSouth. They were out of stock, but I could place a backorder. Six months later the item once again was in stock and I got an automated notice it was back in stock; and I needed to validate I still wanted the item in X days or the order would be cancelled. (Only thing missing in that example was a restocking fee that might be prudent for the Primers We are discussing).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

Went through the other primers they have to see if they had any others in stock. Saw two types of small rifle primers in stock. Clicked add to cart. By the time I clicked they were out of stock.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonb_in_glencoe View Post
    powder valley has them in stock right now.

out of stock!!

Boolit Buddy
    Now I'm going to be checking multiple times a day... Great!

Boolit Master
    its 12:07 now and cci 500's still shows in stock. limit 1000, perfect opportunity for all the newcomers to get into the game without paying the outrageous prices on the big gun auction site.
    I was thinking great, I'll order 10000 to be sure of future, but that just aint happening with the 1000 limit.

Boolit Master
    Best way to buy any hard to find component is to be on the companies "be notified list". They will send you a email as soon as the item is in stock. Then IMMEDIATELY go to the web site and place an order.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Best way to buy any hard to find component is to be on the companies "be notified list". They will send you a email as soon as the item is in stock. Then IMMEDIATELY go to the web site and place an order.
    That seems like a good protocol. Lots of folks are going to be fine with only 1000 to get them by. Even at $75/1000 shipped it is not a bad price.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    in thinking about this, it was during the last big shortage of ammo and supplies that the ammoseek web site either came into being or got good at what it does.
    hopefully they will work well with retailers on providing current inventory status of powder and primers during this current crisis.

Boolit Buddy
    I think the site was lagging. I was seeing some options in stock on the page listing products but when trying to add those to the cart they then showed to be out of stock.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I can't help you with primers, but I can immediately put you on the backorder list for loob grooves!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

Not any more. Shows out of stock again. darnit!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    its 12:07 now and cci 500's still shows in stock. limit 1000, perfect opportunity for all the newcomers to get into the game without paying the outrageous prices on the big gun auction site.
    I was thinking great, I'll order 10000 to be sure of future, but that just aint happening with the 1000 limit.
    12:02 here in the Central zone, and showing out of stock. On every kind of primer and percussion caps.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I can't help you with primers, but I can immediately put you on the backorder list for loob grooves!

Since Loob Grooves are not as popular; maybe you can leave some on the bench at the Range and someone will pick them up that needs them.
    Mustang

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast