MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: That jacketed look

That jacketed look

Hi all, would like to powder coat some bullets for that plated/jacketed look. I have been looking at Eastwoods copper penny powder. Any powder recommendations from you all? Thank you, Darrin.

See https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...#post-11789094

Were it not that I've settled on 3 colors for 3 alloys...it sure looks interesting

Thank you, that is the ticket then.

Boolit Man
    I used the Eastwood Copper Penny. It looks more like a glaze than a solid color when I did mine. It looks like vaguely copper colored lead. If I coated them another time it may look more like a jacket. That's too much extra effort for me. I'm bummed I never got to try Smoke's translucent copper powder.

I am too...Smokes is what I would have gone with if it were still available.

Boolit Master
    The translucent copper was more translucent than copper for me. I did a few with a double coat and it looked more copper but was THICK. Per my usual mixology habit goes, I mixed it with black. Different for sure.

Boolit Master
    I played around with some gold coloured italian Ripol brand non-TGIC powder. By itself,it doesn't cover very well with shake method.

But:

When mixed 50/50 with Smoke's Carolina Blue I get better coating and that silvery look. The gold one is 1/3 Smoke's Clear 2/3 Ripol Gold,again shootable,not picture perfect but tough and hard.

Hi Tek of course has all those nice metallic colours,it's just a different method. I do Hi Tek,too.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    What's wrong with good red white and blue?

Plain old primary colors (and their variants around the color wheel) coat the best. Even matte black (when you are ESPC'ing it).

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If the copper is too transparent, you might try a first coat of white or 50/50 white/copper, followed by a copper coat. Be sure to remove excess powder before baking to avoid too thick of a final coating.

Yeh, I gave it a go. Once with the straight copper penny and once mixed with some of Smokes clear, it worked, the bullets are coated but more trouble than it’s worth when I can shake n bake with straight clear for 30 seconds or so and get outstanding results.

Here is my copper penny results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B84ECA41-017E-4B45-B0F4-AA06CD7417F7.jpeg  

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You will never get a true-looking FMJ look with powders. Just like metallic paints never look real. I have over a dozen brands and colors of metallic paints (spray and brush), most being high end pro-grade, and the only way to get REAL metallic look (gold, silver, copper, bronze) is to use pure metallic powder dust, apply it to a sticky base coat, let it dry, and burnish it with an agate burnisher to a high metallic sheen. This is NOT for boolits!!!! I use this process on refinishing antiques. You cannot tell it from real metal foil.

Just shoot what you have and don't loose sleep over trying to simulate copper. It's never gonna happen. PC (ANY COLOR) is there for gun barrel protection, not a beauty pageant.

Boolit Master

Bayou bullets have some that are sorta copper color.
    https://bayoubullets.net/38-357-158-gr-swc/
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Bayou bullets have some that are sorta copper color.
    https://bayoubullets.net/38-357-158-gr-swc/
    Yes those are Hi Tek coated. That copper is probably "Red Copper".

Here are some of mine, Red Copper to the right. It will not get unwanted attention like blue bullets do.

This is slightly overbaked Hi Tek TMG Gold.

Last edited by Petander; 01-26-2021 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Add pic

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    You will never get a true-looking FMJ look with powders. Just like metallic paints never look real. I have over a dozen brands and colors of metallic paints (spray and brush), most being high end pro-grade, and the only way to get REAL metallic look (gold, silver, copper, bronze) is to use pure metallic powder dust, apply it to a sticky base coat, let it dry, and burnish it with an agate burnisher to a high metallic sheen. This is NOT for boolits!!!! I use this process on refinishing antiques. You cannot tell it from real metal foil.

Just shoot what you have and don't loose sleep over trying to simulate copper. It's never gonna happen. PC (ANY COLOR) is there for gun barrel protection, not a beauty pageant.
    Yep, this sounds good to me and makes my clear coat decision that much easier. I’m in it for quick, effective bullet lubing without the lube. Putting to much effort in it is just going to negate the pluses of PC’ing over traditional lubing.

Boolit Master

Yeah i get the unwanted attention too with coated cast. The blue bullets was the worst for it. With the bayou ones not to often. Unless someone looks closely.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.