Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Thermometer

Thermometer

Getting set back up for casting after a long hiatus.

I'm wanting to get more precise, I never had real problems before but I'm thinking I'd like a thermometer for more precision so I'm looking for the sage advice of you masters.

What are you using?

Any tips, i.e. do you leave it sitting in the pot; if now how often do you check?

Thanks
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Moderator Emeritus

Before I built a PID, I did the following.

With a Lee pot, that gets hotter as the alloy level decreases, I leave the thermometer clipped onto the side (probe positioned in the melt, near to the spout as possible). I glance at the thermometer periodically and can adjust the control as needed, to keep the alloy from overheating. I used a Lyman brand thermometer...which I believe is a private labeled Tel-tru. Getting one without Lyman's name on it will save you some money.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Man

Go full boat – get a PID instead for the electric pot. Mine keeps it within a few degrees and recovers FAST (as fast as the pot can go) when more lead is added.
    Link to leave feedback for me.

Will Rogers 1879 - 1935:
    The problem ain't what people know. It's what people know that ain't so that's the problem.
    Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.
    There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Boolit Buddy

I have the Lyman digital thermometer, seems to be pretty accurate, for now.

I use this one from Rotometals, it’s an RCBS thermometer without the logo and price. Works very well https://www.rotometals.com/lead-bull...thermometer-6/

Boolit Master
    ^^^

That's the one I got. While I now use PID controlled casting pots, I still use the dial thermometer for spot checks on my big propane fired processing pot. I rigged a stiff wire holder about 8" long for easier handling.

Boolit Master
    I probably have not done as much casting as some of you fine folks, but I have learned to let the lead tell me if it is too hot, or too cold.

Boolit Master
    Actually, Froogal, being able to read and understand the casting circumstances as they change seems to me to be a valuable skill acquired through much time and intelligent observation at the casting bench.

I'd still argue, though, that thermometers and PIDs are valuable tools that can make a casting session more efficient and productive. For instance, if the temp is seen rising towards the top of the optimal casting range the heat can be adjusted before it does, saving some hot cast culls and the wait until the alloy cools. A PID does the monitoring and adjusting for me, letting my limited attention span concentrate on other issues.