Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are HP boolits worth casting?

Boolit Buddy

Are HP boolits worth casting?

I'm looking to buy a new mold for my 357 and 45 LC all of my lee molds have had pins for HP and I have never gotten the chance to test them out. So has anyone tried them out is it worth getting an HP lead mold?

I talked to one guy who said it was a gimmick to make you spend more for HP molds. I'd like to hear what you all have to say since I'm looking at two more molds. I'd like to have the ability to use these as SD rounds just in case SD ammo is still $100 for a box of 50. Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Gimmick? Can't understand how that would be. As to whether they'll open up like a jacket HP, well if you cast a softer alloy such as 20/1 and push them at a moderate velocity, I suspect they'll expand quite easily.

I haven't used a mold that was retrofit with pins as all of mine are MP's and were made to cast HP's. They cast easily (especially after 3 cycles) and cast accurate bullets. If you already have some, why not give them a try?
    Last edited by DHDeal; 01-18-2021 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tayous1 View Post
    I talked to one guy who said it was a gimmick to make you spend more for HP molds. !
    That reminds me of when I was a kid and asked a garage mechanic what was the difference between a alternator, and a generator.
    He told me it was about $15.

I'd go to the extra time & trouble for HP self defense or hunting boolits.
    For just casual target shooting, I just don't want to spend the extra time it takes to make them compared to solid ones..
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd like to try out my HP but have not had the time to test them out that's why I came here to ask. Also anyone know the best way to test them?

Another advantage of the hp molds is that each different pin changes the weight. So, you are getting a variety of bullet weights from one mold.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Are HP boolits worth casting?

Yes they are.

Their performance is proven, no doubt about that issue.
    It will depend on whether you do your due diligence and learn to blend boolit metal. It is not as simple as casting solids.
    This casting & testing of HP's is a new rabbit hole. Success is easily achievable...if you apply yourself.

The 'Penta' & 'Cup' cavity...common configurations you can purchase.

The 'Cup' cavity...

The 'Quad' cavity...you can not purchase.

The 'Quad & Tricorne' cavity...Tricorne not for sale either.

'Tricorne' shot into water jugs...

Quads & Tricornes (4 or 3 sided cavities) are a result of my own madness & curiosity, Eric @ Hollow Point moulds made these for my experimentation.

Like I said, the rabbit hole is deep...the learning curve steep...but the rewards in your knowledge of casting is satisfying.
    If interested...I have a small Y-Tube Channel that has survived all the purges so far, I spent all last summer experimenting and having some 'Jug Busting' fun...there you can see how the above HP's were tested.
    This coming summer, they all get re-tested in 10% ballistic gel.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi5...pvqCDsg/videos
    Last edited by OS OK; 01-18-2021 at 09:39 AM.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

GOOD TO HEAR FROM YA Charlie! I look forward to those new videos!!!
    I was gettin worried!! I hadent seen a post from ya in a spell! I posted a few videos and I havent seen ya commenting.

To the OP,
    Charlie gave it to ya complete. He is a HP master with a series on uTuthats quite enjoyable. GREAT MUSIC TOO!! IMHO YES, They are a lil more finess and a new learning curve but I like the effects. I just last might ordered what we affectionately call a "TACO BULLET". Its a NOE 360-183 WFN I ordered mine in 4 cav with all the HP pins.
    MP makes delightful molds. Lymans will never "stick" cause you remove them with a twist before droppin a bullet. But they are slow single cav molds. I like them all. Lil pencil on the hp pins helps till they get nice n hot. Once hot, they work as slick as can be.

God Bless

CW

EDIT: UJ asked me for a comparison Video on HP Molds. Its gonna be 40's here so I should be able to cobble together a video might me of interest to the OP. Also I made a video last night as a VR to Brokeloader on Utube showing MP and NOE hp designs.

https://youtu.be/ChJnpd_oUDE
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by tayous1 View Post
    all of my lee molds have had pins for HP and I have never gotten the chance to test them out. So has anyone tried them out is it worth getting an HP lead mold?
    I absolutely recommend checking out OS OK's series on testing. Both he and CW are far more experienced than I am. If I'm reading right, you already have some Lee HP molds?

I'd suggest you watch through some of Charlie and CW's videos, clean, lube, and preheat those molds, get some softish alloy in them, and launch the resulting boolits into water jugs, wet newspaper, or a backstop of your own choosing. Paul Harrell's meat target would work great, if you already have a shopping trip planned.

Boolit Master
    Just a gimmick, nothing here to see.

Don

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hollowpoint Testing.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	275592
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

LOVE IT ♥️♥️ Don!!!

Im castin some NOE 403-183 WFN with the "cup" pins now!! Just posted a quick vid as I had wrong handles mounted.

CW

Moderator Emeritus

Keep your hp molds as it would be extremely rare to need 5 sd loads in a life time. Buy regular molds with similar molds and cast to your hearts content. Make sure your practice and sd loads shoot to a similar point of aim.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Make sure your practice and sd loads shoot to a similar point of aim.
    Easy to do, as they are one and the same.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I have a few of the Lee HP moulds. Easy to use once they are hot.

As to are they worth doing? Do you like HP boolits? Then yes. Me, I like DEWC boolits and have them in 38 and 45 calibers which covers my SD needs.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Easy to do, as they are one and the same.

Don
    Gotta love those MP's. Being honest though, I've only screwed the flat nose pins on one set of guide rods and didn't install them on the mold. It's just to easy to cast HP's.

I love seeing the work you guys have done testing cast HP's. Yep, it's a gimmick!

Boolit Master
    I see hollow points as a potentially "better" bullet for hunting. Getting the alloy right for the animal, the speed & bullet cavity size is important and will take experimenting.

For SD, why take chances.

Physically a good brand of SD ammo is well tested for the specific cartridge and likely to perform as good or better. This is true for both 2 legged and 4 legged adversaries.

Although it is a pain to consider, you really need to think about the advisability of taking your chances with a legal system than can be full of very biased individuals. We all know that even a well justified use of a gun in a 2 legged SD application can cause huge amounts of grief and legal fees. Those in the know about these things say that not using store bought ammo is big risk factor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    We all know that even a well justified use of a gun in a 2 legged SD application can cause huge amounts of grief and legal fees. Those in the know about these things say that not using store bought ammo is big risk factor.
    Actually, we all DON'T know about anyone convicted of using handloads in what has been called "a good shoot". All we get are vague, unsubstantiated warnings about it. I keep asking for the "xxxxx vs xxxxx" case in which someone was convicted for using handloads in a good shoot, and have yet to receive it. So, I will continue to use what I make and practice with. Also, would be kind of foolish for an NRA Reloading Instructor not to rely on his own ammo.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    GOOD TO HEAR FROM YA Charlie! I look forward to those new videos!!!
    I was gettin worried!! I hadent seen a post from ya in a spell! I posted a few videos and I havent seen ya commenting.

To the OP,
    Charlie gave it to ya complete. He is a HP master with a series on uTuthats quite enjoyable. GREAT MUSIC TOO!! IMHO YES, They are a lil more finess and a new learning curve but I like the effects. I just last might ordered what we affectionately call a "TACO BULLET". Its a NOE 360-183 WFN I ordered mine in 4 cav with all the HP pins.
    MP makes delightful molds. Lymans will never "stick" cause you remove them with a twist before droppin a bullet. But they are slow single cav molds. I like them all. Lil pencil on the hp pins helps till they get nice n hot. Once hot, they work as slick as can be.

God Bless

CW

EDIT: UJ asked me for a comparison Video on HP Molds. Its gonna be 40's here so I should be able to cobble together a video might me of interest to the OP. Also I made a video last night as a VR to Brokeloader on Utube showing MP and NOE hp designs.

https://youtu.be/ChJnpd_oUDE
    Howdy CW'b...thanks for the kind words, yah I been keeping close to home & minding my own business. Trying to get through all this 'Political Strife' to put it kindly (grrrrrrrrr!) makes me want to fight every day!

The time I used to put into your vids and folks like Elvis & others I am instead...chasing down news links & trying to keep abreast of this madness overtaking our country.
    It's high time we start seeing 'WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE' dodgers in the post office of these COMMIES and with a generous bounty to boot!

Time in the shop and on the range for me has been exclusively goofing with the Peep & Globe setup on the MKII I got last year.
    The last handloading I did was about then too...I just can't seem to sit in front of the progressive and concentrate 100%, I'm overstocked on PC'd cast so haven't sat in front of the pot either.

This is a good thread about HP's ... I enjoy seeing other examples and hearing everyone's 2’ worth...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

AMEN!!! Its an atrocity committed upon all of us. Some just have t realized when others see. Unfortunately we are about at the end but do ya think Moses knew the lord would part the red sea? Its hard but Im keeping the faith & praying for our country and Donald Trump.

Ill keep castin liberty pills hoping they are not needed.

CW

CW

Boolit Master
    There were New Shooters on either side of me at the county range Friday. Guns, ammo and components are selling as fast as they can be made. I don't think 2A attacks will go over well.

End of times? I don't think we get off that easy.

MP Hollowpoints are as easy to cast as solids but more fun.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    In my own testing using MP H&G 68 clones, one HP, 1 Standard, I found I can cast ~10 HP boolits in the time it takes to cast ~12 non-HP. Soft lead, a little Tin added if I am having more rejects than usual, and I get good, "controlled expansion." I have Hollowpoint molds ranging from a 72 grain 32 acp MP up to a 250 grain .454 NOE and use them all. The current supply situation reveals why having the ability to make your own is advantageous.
    Two things to bear in mind while casting hollowpoints. #1. Speed is your friend. Because the process of emptying the boolits out of the mold is slightly more time consuming, don't add to the delay by fiddling about or shilly-shallying inspecting your just-produced beauties. Cooling the molds will drive up the rejection rate. Cast fast. #2 heat is another buddy to have on your side. Expect to run your melt 25-50 degrees hotter than you might for a similar non-hp mold.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast