Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: 20ga. light load recipe wanted

Boolit Bub

20ga. light load recipe wanted

Winchester has a light recoil and reduced noise load that shoots 980 fps. I'm looking for a load just like it. Winchester uses winlite powder. Not available to the public anymore. Anyone have a light load that is about the same? I don't care if I have to clean more often.

Boolit Master
    3/4 ounce 1150 fps 20G Trainer Loads:

Data for WW AA20 and Remington unibody hulls.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/load11_19_19.htm
    Last edited by RMc; 01-20-2021 at 11:44 PM.

Boolit Man

What components do you have on hand? The data I have shows 1050 fps as slow as you're going to get with a 7/8oz. 3/4 looks like 1150 fps is probably as slow as you're going to get with published. Alliant has some 3/4oz loads at 1155 fps online as well. Hodgdon's online loads reflect my data book.

Boolit Man
    Claybuster has 3/4 oz wads that work great in all tapered hills. And provide load data as well.
    I use 12.5 -13.5 grains of International Clays powder and the wife and kids shoot them all day in light 20 gauge guns. Even cycle some gas automatics.
    There many other light loads about with many powders. Try searches and you might find you have some of the needed components already.

Boolit Bub
    Try Unique. I've loaded 20 gauge with Unique down to 5/8 ounce with good results. That was starting with CB1075-20 data and dropping light on the shot. Those CB1075 loads started off at low pressure (under 8500) and the light shot drop would have reduced pressures further.

I have no doubt that a slightly lighter powder drop in a published 7/8 ounce loading would get you there.
    https://alliantpowder.com/products/powder/unique.aspx
    Alliant recipes at the bottom of that link. Select one of the higher pressure loads at the slowest listed velocity to start.

If it was me, I'd start with one of the bottom two.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slow 20 gauge Unique.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	275591

ETA- I don't have the right wads here otherwise I would have done some light loads this morning. I'll see if I can round some up and run a few over the chrono.
    Last edited by wildflilghts; 01-18-2021 at 12:40 PM.

Boolit Bub
    The speed is not what I was looking for exactly. My wife has had 8 back surgeries. The Winchester LRLN shells she can handle fine. Low pressure or light recoil is what I was looking for. She has a .410 Savage 555 compact and a 20 alike. We hunt over a Brittany with a lab as a strike dog. Close range, most shots around 20 yards.

I will look at my supplies. But I know I have 20/28, International,Steel,H110,herco and lil'gun.

Boolit Bub
    Low pressure doesn't have anything to do with recoil. Pressure is good. To reduce recoil, you need to slow the speed and/or reduce the weight of the shot charge.

20/28 is similar to Unique but I don't have any on hand to play with and it produces lower pressures with similar recipes. FWIW- I loaded some of the above posted WAA20/Unique loads with a light powder drop. It was too dark to chronograph but both 13 and 14 grains functioned fine. I suspect that somewhere between those two drops would match the Winchester velocity.

With your assorted available powders, I'd take a look at doing something similar with Herco. Find a slower load with higher pressure and start reducing the drops.
    Last edited by wildflilghts; 01-20-2021 at 08:52 AM.

Boolit Man

International is probably going to be what you'll use depending on your primer/hull/wad combinations. It will build a 3/4 oz 1150 fps load. You'll have some room to work from there.

Hodgdon shows a 1150 fps load using Win compressioned formed cases Waa 20 wads and international clays powder 12gr. Win209 primers. 3/4 oz, of shot Wife uses it in Her gun coach
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Grand Master

I too would suggest a 3/4 oz load. Of the powders you listed, I like the look of this 20/28 load listed on the Claybuster website. I have never loaded or shot this load myself http://www.claybusterwads.com/index....data-cb1075-20

Federal 2 3/4" hull
    Federal 209A
    15.5 gr 20/28
    CB1075-20
    3/4 oz lead
    fold crimp

7,800 psi
    1,200 fps

You could try reducing this load slightly too. Don't go too crazy, nothing more dangerous than a squib load, but I don't think trying 14 grains or so would hurt.

Boolit Bub
    Put the Unique loads and Winchester low recoil shells over the chrono this afternoon. I know the OP doesn't currently have Unique but there are likely others that are looking for the same kind of info.

Winchester 20 gauge low recoil averaged 1,016 fps. I cut one open and there was 390 gr of #8 shot.

20 gauge Winchester AA hull
    WIN209
    13.0 gr Unique
    WAA20
    7/8 oz (light drop at 360 gr. due to fit) 7-1/2
    averaged 1,032 fps

14.0 gr averaged 1,073 fps. Original Hodgdon recipe called for 15.0 gr @ 1,155 fps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13 gr Unique subsonic Win Low Recoil.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	275791
    Last edited by wildflilghts; 01-21-2021 at 01:47 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you

Boolit Master

Light loads in 20 ga??? Greendot will be your friend , burns completely at lower pressures & you can go crazy low in shot weight.

I put cards in a 3/4 claybuster wad & went down to 1/2 oz .

Still busted clay birds though.

GP

Shooting all these in a break gun.
    Last edited by GP100man; 01-26-2021 at 01:28 PM. Reason: addition
    GP100man

Boolit Bub
    I found green dot today. I will try some loads for this powder. Still on the look out for unique.

Boogieman. What are the Winchester compression hulls?

Boolit Bub
    Winchester compression formed hulls are the precursor to todays WWAA hulls. They were a single piece tapered hull. The cup in the bottom of todays WWAA hulls mimics the taper. Generally recipes for compression formed hulls are interchangable with todays WWAA hulls.

GP100 was on the mark about Green Dot. I'm sure it will serve you well. I still believe every reloader should have Unique on the shelf but Green Dot is a great fit for your application.