WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A nice winter day in the horse stall now casting/reloading room

A nice winter day in the horse stall now casting/reloading room

When my significant other brought her massage therapy practice home, I lost my casting/reloading room....it got remodeled into a massage therapy room. Nice lighting, exposed beams, etc.....very nice.
    I had to relocate to the former horse stall in the barn. Actually it hadn't been used as a horse stall for probably a hundred years so it was clean, dry and not smelly. Rewired, tightened up and with a propane hurricane heater of about 11,000 btu's, it makes for a nice work area. I can even work out there in a raging snowstorm.
    Today I decided to cast all afternoon. It was quiet, not too cold (40), and a bit windy so the heater worked OK but not great.
    At a leisurely pace, I cast 1225 (by weight) in an afternoon...like maybe 4 hours or so. Took my time with no hurry at all.
    This was with a Lee 4-20 (the drip-o-matic)) and a 4 cavity Hensley & Gibbs #51. I did not preheat the ingots on the top of the pot - when I ran down, I just loaded the new ingots into the pot and let it melt. I did create "setups" of 5 lbs ww to 1 lb linotype and had them stacked on the bench ready for action. Putting the ingots in cold gave me time to let the cast bullets cool and then cull them and then put into two coffee cans. I have to say that I had MAYBE 10 culls, if that for the entire session.
    Next up size/lube them. Then I will load them into 38 specials with 4 gr WW231...my standard 38 round. I was getting a bit nervous because I was down to my last 400 rounds of loaded 38. Will have a total of 1600 rounds...probably a year's worth.
    While casting and getting into the rhythm, it occurred to me that we are a lucky bunch. If we stock up on components, we will never worry about a shortage of ammo. We are the assembler and the manufacturer.
    It also occurred to me that our hobby is a great way to relax and sort out our thoughts.
    We are indeed fortunate.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Absolutely, I am so happy I started reloading and casting years ago. What a hobby, with the addition of this site it makes it all the more special. Can't wait for Hatches P.I.D. to arrive so I'll have the one I built and his.

When I started casting and reloading I was on my own along with the books I bought and the internet. What I learned here has no doubt helped me progress safely and responsibly.

I am one lucky man.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

I have to agree. We are in fact lucky. I think I enjoy casting and reloading as much as shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I have to agree. We are in fact lucky. I think I enjoy casting and reloading as much as shooting.
    I think some of us see shooting as a necessary activity that allows casting and reloading.
    I have asked myself that question a number of times. Which is the most pleasurable?
    My outdoor range is 15 minutes away. The brand new 8 lane indoor range is also 15 minutes away.
    I can burn up 100 rounds of 38 (plus something else) on each trip.
    I always take a 38 and one other gun to shoot.
    I guess it is 1/3 +1/3 + 1/3 - casting + reloading + shooting.
    My other half refers to casting and reloading as "man knitting".
    She kind of has a point.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned

I wish I had an outbuilding for my gun room, that would be great. As it is now I do everything inside except melting and casting.

Quote Originally Posted by tankgunner59 View Post
    I wish I had an outbuilding for my gun room, that would be great. As it is now I do everything inside except melting and casting.
    The smelting is always done outside. When the horse stall was remodeled, I had the contractor cut into the side of the barn and install an exhaust fan. It works well in getting rid of the smoke from fluxing (I use candle wax and excess left over Magma lube) and hopefully any other bad fumes.
    Smelting is a dirty job as you know, and I usually do that about once every year or two and build and inventory of ingots ready to use. That is DEFINITELY an outside job.
    This hobby of ours sure does provide relaxing and productive times. I murdered my TV well over 25 years ago so I don't sit in front of it and waste a lot of time. I really think life is too short to be idle for any length of time.

Therapy? $90.00 an hour. Boolit casting? Who knows, but I don't care.

Here is a photo of my recently completed man cave/workshop/casting shed. I will put up the entire construction series in a separate post.

Wayne

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0249_2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	275590
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post

Here is a photo of my recently completed man cave/workshop/casting shed. I will put up the entire construction series in a separate post.

Wayne

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0249_2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	275590
    Nice .
    I have a similar one I am trying to get finished my casting is stopped until done , and my truck sets in the drive until a get stuff out of the garage and into the shed. Part of the downside of downsizing

Thanks, Onelight. Also thanks to Fish4Bugs for starting this pleasant string.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Thanks, Onelight. Also thanks to Fish4Bugs for starting this pleasant string.

Wayne
    Thanks for the kind words.
    After the casting session, complete with sore shoulders, i was particularly content with the 2 coffee cans full of cast #51's just waiting for the Star sizer work, then reloading.
    I think it is great that we are able to do this.
    What shortage?

Boolit Master
    My only regret is I waited until I was in my mind 40s before I started casting , my goodness I could have really taken advantage of shooting more in my youth .
    I'm glad you got your man cave up and running + your star sizer .

Boolit Master
    i have a small shed i use for casting the rest i do on the landing in the house. its nice to have an intrest that doesnt involve working in cold garages covered in grease and skinning your knuckles .

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    i have a small shed i use for casting the rest i do on the landing in the house. its nice to have an intrest that doesnt involve working in cold garages covered in grease and skinning your knuckles .
    I've got a good sized shed that I do my casting. reloading and all other gun stuff in. It's got bare studs and is not insulated, but until this year the cold didn't bother me. My wife has given the green light to insulate and dry wall/panel the walls and ceiling so this spring that's going to happen. I'm also putting in wifi so I can listen to something other than my playlist. I do enjoy being out there as it is relaxing and rewarding.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    My other half refers to casting and reloading as "man knitting".
    She kind of has a point.
    Man knitting, I like that, made me smile.

Boolit Grand Master

Dang I always got sent to the doghouse. The hirse stall would have much more room and you can stand up right.

Ill bet the new room does great, and whats nicest is its set up pretty much how you want it no work around due to size or windows light.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Dang I always got sent to the doghouse. The horse stall would have much more room and you can stand up right.

Ill bet the new room does great, and whats nicest is its set up pretty much how you want it no work around due to size or windows light.
    It is working out pretty well. Plenty of light (LED's) and plenty of electrical outlets. The man cave was wired into the generator circuit so when the power is out, I can still be out there casting/reloading.
    I could actually use a little more room but I can live with what I have by keeping things organized and put away when i am done with them.
    The one thing I will do probably next summer is to insulate and tighten it up it a little better. Hey...the barn was added in the late 1800's and could use a little tightening up.
    When it is REALLY cold, like about zero, the heater gets it up to about 45 degrees....not toasty warm but certainly usable. Just a fleece and the hurricane heater will keep me warm enough.
    But i am grateful for the space.

Wayne
    Very nice. i can imagine a totally separated little shed to be the man cave. Your own little world.
    Life has become one of a series of enjoyable activities. I am still working full time so this gets worked into the daily/monthly schedules.
    Winter is casting and reloading and indoor range shooting. April is wood delivery and stacking (we do 7 cords a year heating the house). Summer is outside shooting, yard work and gardening. Fall is putting food away. Rinse and repeat.
    But it always comes back to casting and reloading. Cheap therapy? You bet.
    It all is cheap therapy.

Gratitude

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    But i am grateful for the space.
    Mr. Bugs I think there are few thing a person can say, or write, that defines happiness quite like an expression of gratitude. I thank my Lord every day for my gifts. I am saddened when I encounter others who are not grateful for what life brings them but angry that they were not given things. Guess I am old fashioned. But I am grateful that I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    Mr. Bugs I think there are few thing a person can say, or write, that defines happiness quite like an expression of gratitude. I thank my Lord every day for my gifts. I am saddened when I encounter others who are not grateful for what life brings them but angry that they were not given things. Guess I am old fashioned. But I am grateful that I am.
    That pretty much says it all. Hey...if that makes us old fashioned, then so be it.
    We all should be grateful for those things that we can have or the things that we can do.
    It is one of those pieces of the puzzle that helps define one's happiness.
    I can't tell you how many people are out there looking for the THING called happiness.
    Happiness does not exist in and of itself as a 'thing" to find...it is the end result of a whole lot of pieces.....and gratitude is just one of those pieces.
    Well said, Jim.

Boolit Mold
    I like man knitting ,made me laugh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast