Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pellet rifle suggestions and considerations.

Numrich GunCorps has Diana 350 magnums in .177 cal. for $249.00. I think mine was 269.00 shipped. It has the new t06 trigger.
    I was told not to get a magnum springer for my first coil spring gun as they would be too hyper to shoot well.
    I’ve had no trouble keeping 3 to 5 shot groups from the bench in the .2 to .3” range at 20 to 25 yds.
    However, the first 50 shots would give 1/2” vertical strings out of the box... after that it settled right in... or I did lol.

I put a BKL 6 screw droop compensating baseon it, locktite on the screws and it’s still holding zero after a few 1000 shots.

I have put all powder burning firearms on hold due to the new powers in office and have turned 180 degrees to airguns for now. I have been getting sleeves of pellets to tide me over until something gives and we end up in gulags or get our freedoms back.

PCP's seem to offer the best of all worlds and the DAR, Avenger and R7 seem to offer the best gun for the buck right now.

Boolit Master

Well, since my post on 2-6-21 I've done even more looking and searching and asking questions. I thought the Sig ASP 20 was exactly what I was looking for, and then realized that I was wrong. I believed that I needed a nitro-piston gun because my main use for this rifle would be hunting. Common knowledge was that you can't leave a springer cocked for any length of time without damaging the spring. WRONG!

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006...g-last-part-1/

So, after reading that I realized that springers were back in the mix! Weeks of search-read-check reviews brought me to the realization that what Randy Buchanan had posted was pretty good advice (not that I've ever had reason to doubt him!). So, long story short, I dropped the coin for a new Weihrauch HW95 Luxus from Airguns of Arizona.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spr...ch-hw95-luxus/

It should be here in ten days or so, can't wait! Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, your advice is very much appreciated!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Centershot: you won't be disappointed. Weihrauch makes very nice guns! You didn't say which caliber you got but I can say that the JSB Exact Pellets or H&N Match pellets will probably be the most accurate.

I would recommend putting a good coat or so of Tree Wax on the stock, Apply it with 0000 steel wool and then buff it with a Terry Cloth Towel. Make sure to wipe the gun down with a Silicone charged rag when you get done shooting it each time and that will keep the gun looking nice. Just treat it like your best firearms and it will be fine.

This gun should outlast YOU!

I guess I'm an "Influencer" now?

Good Luck!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Money well spent, that will be an awesome little investment.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Centershot: you won't be disappointed. Weihrauch makes very nice guns! You didn't say which caliber you got but I can say that the JSB Exact Pellets or H&N Match pellets will probably be the most accurate.

I would recommend putting a good coat or so of Tree Wax on the stock, Apply it with 0000 steel wool and then buff it with a Terry Cloth Towel. Make sure to wipe the gun down with a Silicone charged rag when you get done shooting it each time and that will keep the gun looking nice. Just treat it like your best firearms and it will be fine.

This gun should outlast YOU!

I guess I'm an "Influencer" now?

Good Luck!

Randy
    Randy, I bought the .22 caliber, the .177 was in stock but I was willing to wait for the .22. Yes, Weihrauch's reputation is well known and deserved judging by all the favorable comments I've seen and heard on many website's. I know I won't be disappointed once it gets here! I bought a Hawke Vantage IR 3-9x scope for it and several cans of different pellets to try. Among them is a can of the H&N Field Target pellets but sadly, JSB's are hard to find at the moment. I should probably buy a couple thousand of the H&N's while they're in stock.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Just a Heads Up !!!

Just a heads up!

I just got a Midway USA flyer yesterday and saw they had Airgun Pellets? Went to the site and they "really" have lots of Airgun pellets, most of which are in stock. They had 5 pages of pellets! Prices are decent.

Go here:https://www.midwayusa.com/air-gun-pe...s/br?cid=22953

Pay special attention to the ones made by H&N. I have been using H&N pellets since I first started shooting Airguns in 1976 and they are some of the best. Some of my guns shoot the "H&N Match" pellets best of all.

Lots of "in stock" choices !

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Man
    Trenier Outdoors is a good place for pellets too. They are a small dealer, well respected in the airgun community. And they know how to pack the pellets so you don't get open tins in the box on your side of the delivery. Amazon is pretty well known for throwing a tin of pellets in a box with a puffy thing and calling it good. Doesn't turn out very well.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Numrich GunCorps has Diana 350 magnums in .177 cal. for $249.00. I think mine was 269.00 shipped. It has the new t06 trigger.
    I was told not to get a magnum springer for my first coil spring gun as they would be too hyper to shoot well.
    I’ve had no trouble keeping 3 to 5 shot groups from the bench in the .2 to .3” range at 20 to 25 yds.
    However, the first 50 shots would give 1/2” vertical strings out of the box... after that it settled right in... or I did lol.

I put a BKL 6 screw droop compensating baseon it, locktite on the screws and it’s still holding zero after a few 1000 shots.
    I bought one of these several years ago in 177. It was on sale and was attractive. Couldn't tolerate the open sights so I put an aperture on it and it shot amazingly flat and accurate. After a while I found a scope in the scope closet and mounted it.That extended the range fairly well.
    Let me add something here airguns need to have the barrel cleaned on occasion. The easiest way to do so on a maintenance basis is to use cleaning pellets. Three a lot of controversy about them but Ive used them for over 30 years without harm. Be sure to get good quality and to load 2 at minimum 3 or 4 being better. You may well find a dramatic improvement in accuracy after running a few sets thru the barrel.
    The above mentioned RWS 350 should only shoot thee heavier pellets 10.5 gr in 177. 14.5 in 22-still heavier tend to be better. They stay subsonic and avoid trans sonic instability. The heavier pellets tend to reduce the violence within the springer, thus extending the trouble free maitainence cycle.

Generally, ahem, Crossman pellets can provide the best accuracy if you get a good lot. At one time ,in cardboard boxes, the pellets were unequalled.
    Springers can give great accuracy. A TX200 in 177 can stay under .5" at 50M, the 350 can deliver sub 1" @100M when there is NO wind. Drop from a 30yd zero is about 4'.

If you want to find out how accurate a springer can be use a medical type gel pack as a front bag when bench shooting. It helps tame the finicky in the springers.

.. stuck in middle here.[/QUOTE]

centershot",,, Did that gun come in yet? Still waiting for an update.

Randy

I've tested all that H&N plus JSB have to offer in .22 and I find that in the end, Crosman Premier Hollow Points (CPHP) seem to give better accuracy and performance than all the H&N plus half of the JSB's.

Dont get me wrong, if I could afford paying X3 more for JSB's for day to day plinking, the 15.9gr diabolos would be it but CPHP are all I need.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    centershot",,, Did that gun come in yet? Still waiting for an update.

Randy
    Yes it did Randy, I received it last Tuesday! I had purchased a Hawke 3-9x IR scope and a UTG drooper rail for it, I had a set of medium Weaver Quad-Lock rings in my inventory so thought I was all set. Mounted the rail, then tried to mount the rings. No-Go! They wouldn't clamp tight to the rail! The rail is a Picatinney rail, but I've never had a problem mounting Weaver rings on a Picatinney rail before, ever! I pulled a couple spare scopes out set up with the same rings and they mounted up nice & tight. Hmmm. Got out the calipers and checked the spacing - .016" oversize on the culprit rings. &^%$%^&&!!! Took a couple days to round up a new set but it's good to go now! And it's a shooter! I zeroed it on the 50' indoor range at my local club using 14.66 gr. H&N Field Target Trophy pellets - It will literally put every single shot through one tiny hole if you can hold the shot! I was really impressed! I'll post some pics on Tuesday, my wife wants to try it out and Tuesday will be our first opportunity. Great rifle!

unknown

Centershot: When you are shooting off a rest, place the rest so it is inline with the fore end. I have a 6x6 with a Terry cloth towel I shoot over for pinpoint sighting in. Use a somewhat loose hold on teh gun so it is free to move.

This allows the gun to slide backwards during recoil, and is known as the "Artillery Hold."

Springers seem to be more accurate when shot like that.

You done good! You'll shoot the hell out of that gun.

Randy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123