Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Accurate 36-105m ?

Boolit Mold

Accurate 36-105m ?

I use this mould for my 38/357's sized to .358. Am thinking of sizing down to .356 for 9mm.
    Is this doable?
    Do I need to find a different mould without a crimp grove?
    I have three lube sizers so not going to powder coat, but what about adding lube to the crimp grove along with the lube grove?

Thanks in advance

Jim K.

You should have no problem sizing them down the extra two thou. But before I did that, I would load some at 358. If you can chamber them the gun will size them for you. Most have issues with the bullet being sized down, ending up too small, during the seating and crimping stages. I am using an oversize expander and now crimping any more that removing the flare. 358 work fine in my Shield. You might want to load up a few dummy rounds and then pull the bullets. Mic them to see if you have sized them down during loading. That's the most common issue with cast bullets in the 9mm.

Sam Sackett.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Sam!

I never thought of loading a few dummy rounds.
    They are for my S&W 659 and it likes .356 so I'll load some and see if they fit.
    If they chamber I'll put some powder in and see how they group.

Jim K.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a 125 truncated cone a lot like the one you referenced. For 9mm all my guns prefer .357 with no leading. The 356 don't lead but the accuracy was bad. I have a PT-92 that will chamber a .358, with no difference in accuracy than the .357. I can use boolits with a crimp groove, I just seat it past the crimp groove and taper crimp lightly. Adjust your charge down just a little to make up the deeper seating.
    Lubing in the crimp groove is not a problem but I doubt is is necessary.
    Tony

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Tony
    I did try a few and I have to bump the back of the slide a little to get it to close completely. I seated the bullet about 1/16th inch deeper and it closed completely. So I loaded up 5 and will give them a try this coming weekend. (weather permitting)

Jim

JimK, how did you make out? Hopefully they shot well and no leading.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Mold
    Well I finally got around to shooting them, no leading, did not group well, about a 6 inch group at 25 yards. Think I will size some to .356 and see if that makes a difference. If that improves the group I will start playing with the powder charge. Only want to change one thing at a time.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
    Well I finally got around to shooting them, no leading, did not group well, about a 6 inch group at 25 yards. Think I will size some to .356 and see if that makes a difference. If that improves the group I will start playing with the powder charge. Only want to change one thing at a time.

Jim
    If you can't get your current mold to work just shoot Tom a email. I'm sure he'll have no problem making the changes you need

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk