Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Need some honest opinions from owners of Henry single shot 45/70s

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Need some honest opinions from owners of Henry single shot 45/70s

Background –

I am new to 45/70 and am now set up to reload it. I am primarily interested in loading BP cartridges and have one of the Lee 459-405-HB molds to try first. I’m not going to be shooting competition, long range distances, hunt, etc. – primarily interested in playing with the cartridge and plinking at a variety of distances out to about 200 yards on gongs, buckets and whatever. I am only interested in single shots. I had a nice Springfield trapdoor lined up to buy and then the deal went south on the seller’s end. At this point, I am still looking at trapdoors but am leaving my options open for other single shot rifles. I have owned Handi-rifles in other calibers so am aware of the and others similar as well.

One of the rifles I am possibly interested in is the Henry single shot in 45/70 and thus I am posting this. I own some Henry lever guns – like them – but am also well aware of the trigger issues, recall and all the threads concerning that on the Henry single shots so do not want this post to go there as far as those things go. From videos and posts, there seem to be many who, regardless of those posts, own, shoot and and for the most part, like the Henry single shots in the variety of calibers they are offered in. I am asking for some honest feedback from those that own one of the Henry single shots in 45/70s – who still own and shoot them.

While I am mainly interested in shooting BP 45/70 – if I ended up with a Henry I would at some point probably play with smokeless loads as well. All I will be shooting is cast boolits in either BP or smokeless cartridges.

So . . . . if you own and shoot a Henry single shot in 45/70 – whether the steel or brass frame – can you give a brief review of your thoughts on the rifle. Are you satisfied with the accuracy of it and at what distances are you normally shooting at? If you are shooting cast boolits, what diameter and weight have you found seem to work the best out of the rifle/barrel? Are you satisfied overall with the accuracy and the function of the rifle and would you purchase one again? Are you using it as it came from the factory or have you done “tune ups” to the trigger, etc. Overall, are you happy with the rifle?

I am looking at a variety of things in regards to the Henry – price, function and quality for the dollar and also the ability to add a scope should I go with what I will call a “modern” rifle (although a break action has been around more a looooong time) as opposed to another traditional trapdoor, high wall, rolling block, etc. that I would not be inclined to put a scope on.

I realize that we all like different things and we all have different opinions – I’m just trying to get some honest feedback from those that have one of the Henry single shots in 45/70 to determine if I should leave it on my list of options or to chalk it off. I like the looks of both the steel and the brass frame models, they seem to have the Henry fit and finish and the price/quality seem good – BUT – pretty gals are a dime a dozen and they serve no purpose if they can’t read and write – i.e. the rifle may look good but looks don’t make them accurate or functional.

Any feedback by those who own and shoot a Henry single shot in 45/70 would be greatly appreciated. On the surface, the price/quality of the Henry is certainly good and I am just trying to determine if, for me, if it is worth paying double or triple the price for a different rifle if the Henry will perform the same and allow me to play with the 45/70 cartridge in BP (and/or smokeless) and do the fun shooting that I want to do.

Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    I see you are not getting response from your post & I can’t help on your exact request, but, you might want to look at cva in 45/70 single shot. I have one & like it.I have a Henry in 357, just got it back from recall. Haven’t shot it since getting it back. You will like loading for 45/70, very versatile.

Boolit Master
    I don't own one either but what I would look at is the weight. For a .45-70 it's nice to have something in the 11 lb. plus range.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Bub
    I've had one about 2 1/2 years. I did a spring replacement,dab of moly paste on the sear, now the trigger pull is a crisp 2 3/4 lb. The gun weighs 6 3/4 lbs with a skinner peep sight and fiber optic front sight. I shoot 475 gr cast @ 1400 fps and have bumped it up to 1650..The 1400 load is not painful at all, the 1650 will get your attention, but still not painful. I think that has to due with stock design. It is more accurate than I am. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I had to.

I have a Henry single shot but in .357 mag. I had it rechambered to .357 MAX and the trigger worked over by David White at D&T Gunsmithing in Oklahoma. http://www.dandtcustomgunworks.com/ He did a fine job. The trigger is 2 1/2 lbs and he didn't put a weaker spring in it. My rifle is the steel frame model. The metal work and the wood work are superb from the factory.

I have owned a single shot in .45-70, a Ruger #3. It was so light it kicked like two mules. The Henry is heavier and that is good. You say you are planning to use mostly black powder loads at about 1300 fps. With loads like that the Henry should not be too light.

Takedown of the Henry is a bit different than other break open single shots. You don't just remove the forearm and simply tilt off the barrel. It's more complex. Otherwise I am very happy with the Henry rifle.

Boolit Master
    I'd get a blued one, as the brass framed units appear to have brass (or brass colored) buttplates. My .45 Colt BBS has a nice, thick, rubber recoil pad. The blued Henry single shots appear to have the same.
    I've got a ruger #1 .45-70 with a very thin, hard recoil pad. 400 grainers at 1,750 start to get "not fun" at around 8 rounds.
    That said, I love the .45-70. It's a very fun and very easy cartridge to load for. From round balls, paper patch, jacketed, cast, shot loads, you can literally play with it any way you like.

Hello bedbugbilly,

I have two 45-70's, one is a Uberti 1885 Highwall and second is a Ruger #3.
    I think the Highwall kicks as bad as the #3, which is very manageable.
    If your going to be shooting Black Powder, I don't think kick is going to be any issue with whatever you shoot.

AntiqueSledMan.

BBB: I have a couple of 45-70s and really enjoy that round, I own the Henry lever action with the case hardened receiver and a Handi rifle with the 20" barrel. The point of this reply is to say that I have several 45-70 moulds and could send you some examples to try if you in fact purchase a rifle in that caliber. Collar Button through 500gr+. Black powder or smokeless the 45-70 is a great round. Gp

Boolit Master
    I recently traded for a 45/70 Henry that had been sent back, unfired. It has #4 trigger. To see how good it shot, I mounted a Leupold 3x9x40. With some PC 350gr Lyman/Gould I had cast, it shot 3 in an inch even, at a pretty hot speed, more on that later. I also shot some 405 gr cast with Uniuqe loads, 13 grs, and it shot them inside an inch. Funny both loads, completely different weights and powder, shot a loose cloverleaf, with just a smidge of paper between the 3 shots on both targets. I liked that, usually when a gun shoots like that, they are going to be very forgiving and shoot with about anything you put in them. I will be removing the scope, and put on a set of much smaller sights, maybe rig up a long range sight and see how it will do 300-400yds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I recently traded for a 45/70 Henry that had been sent back, unfired. It has #4 trigger. To see how good it shot, I mounted a Leupold 3x9x40. With some PC 350gr Lyman/Gould I had cast, it shot 3 in an inch even, at a pretty hot speed, more on that later. I also shot some 405 gr cast with Uniuqe loads, 13 grs, and it shot them inside an inch. Funny both loads, completely different weights and powder, shot a loose cloverleaf, with just a smidge of paper between the 3 shots on both targets. I liked that, usually when a gun shoots like that, they are going to be very forgiving and shoot with about anything you put in them. I will be removing the scope, and put on a set of much smaller sights, maybe rig up a long range sight and see how it will do 300-400yds.
    Do you recall what height rings you needed? I have an EGW mount coming from Henry.

Boolit Master
    I put some Medium rings, i think.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Read ... https://www.wideopenspaces.com/big-g...t-45-70-rifle/
    And I did it with 2 clicks using the Internet. Amazing the information one can find on the Internet ... If They Try ...
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Thank you. Got nice wood on my .44 mag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210206_092040.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	277052

Boolit Master
    Single shot 45-70's love them my single shot now is an 1884 trapdoor. Henry single shots never even seen one let alone been able to get my hands on one . ordered one a couple of years ago but finaly got tired of waiting and cancelled the order.

Boolit Master
    I’ve got one coming from Ohio will be here in April, now I’m worried the mold I’ve purchased is 500 grain too heavy, with this light of rifle. May need to get 300 grain mold.

Boolit Master
    Yes, the medium height is good. Low might work too but the cheek weld is fine with these. Got a set of dedicated picatinny Vortex aluminum rings coming. These are some old steel Millet Weaver rings I had on hand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210207_060202.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	277099
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 02-07-2021 at 08:20 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoor4570 View Post
    Single shot 45-70's love them my single shot now is an 1884 trapdoor. Henry single shots never even seen one let alone been able to get my hands on one . ordered one a couple of years ago but finaly got tired of waiting and cancelled the order.
    I couldn't find any 45-70 brass or I might have gone the TC Encore route with a 24" barrel. May still do that if things ever get back to normal, which feels far from certain these days. These single shots can sport a longer barrel and handle like an 18" barreled rifle.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 02-07-2021 at 08:26 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Bedbug, did you read the review and what is your opinion of the rifle?
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 friends who could not wait to ditch their .45-70 TC Encores. They were getting pounded with factory ammo, and they're very big ole Mississippi boys!

Boolit Master
    Yea I have the Encore 45-70 MGM barrel it’s accurate.they will beat you up with heavy loads.

I just picked a beautiful Henry Steel single shot in 45-70. So I will give you some feedback after Saturday but if it shoots as good as it looks it should be something else....