Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Cetyl Alcohol for Lubes

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Cetyl Alcohol for Lubes

Cetyl Alcohol is a 16 chain hydrocarbon that was derived from sperm oil, one of the best lubes there was. It can be added to your lube in the proportion as is jojoba oil, another long chain hydrocarbon.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetyl_alcohol
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Interesting. I see Amazon sells it for $28 for 3 pounds. Have you used it for swaging, or lube for bolts, or .... What have you used it for?
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Moderator Emeritus

I wonder how similar the modern version (derived from vegetable oils such as palm or coconut oil), is to the old version that was derived from sperm oil?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

from Amazon ad
    This fatty alcohol could increase moisturization properties of your homemade lotions, cremes, balms and ointments. It's widely used in making hair care products ( such as conditioners and hair masks) to give luxurious feel and look to a products and to aid in the rinse off. Combine it with other fatty ingredients (cetearyl, stearyl alcohol) and plant waxes (rice bran, jojoba) to achieve different feel and textures of your final homemade products.
    It serves as an oil phase (all oily ingredients together) thickener, solidifier and co-emulsifier (helper of an emulsifying wax). Enhances performance of your emulsifiers; stabilizes emulsion (keeps oil and water from separating in your DIY body butter, sugar scrub, creme or lotion). Great ingredient if you are making cosmetics yourself.
    To incorporate into your DIY cosmetics products: combine together with your other oils, butters (kokum, mango, cocoa, moringa, argan, cupuacu) and waxes (carnauba, candelilla, sunflower) and heat up while stirring until everything is melted and uniform. Then follow your recipe. Melting temperature of this wax is 113ºF-122ºF (45º-50ºC).
    I bet it would be a good ingredient to add to BP lube.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Hmm mix that with candela wax and we might be on to a good black powder lube.

Candella wax is a bee wax alternative that has similar properties to keep oil and water mixed.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Is this oil still obtained from sperm whales?
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Driver man View Post
    Is this oil still obtained from sperm whales?
    Not for more than 100 years. It is derived from Palm oils and it is chemically the exact same as what was derived from Sperm Whales. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetyl_alcohol
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    No, I have not used my cetyl alcohol yet. Next batch of lube, will cut back the 20% of bees wax to 15% and 5% cetyl for a small batch. Test it and probably increase to 10% and not use any jojoba oil, that I put in the lubes
    Regards
    John